Which Ski? (Advanced-Intermediate)

Old December 24th 04, 01:17 AM
NIALLBRUCE

Default Which Ski? (Advanced-Intermediate)

I'm going skiing next week and have been trying to make a list of skis that
would be good to hire. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be many reviews
online. Nonetheless, I have been able to compile a short list of possibilities.

1. Nordica SUV 12
2. Dynastar Omecarve 8 AIS or 9
3. Volkl 4*
4. Salomon Street Racer 9
5. Head C140
6. Atomic SX7
7. K2 Apache Hellfire
8. Fischer RX 8
9. Rossignol Zenith Z3

The 1st 3 seem to be the best (by far?). I've found really positive reviews for
each of them. Are they the best?
How does the Dynastar Driver compare with the Omecarve? Their website doesn't
seem to feature the Omecarve!
I've checked all their websites and can't distinguish between the 3. Which one
is best? (provided that they are indeed the "top 3")

I read a few favourable reports on the Street Racers but some people indicated
that they weren't class leading. It seems that they're quite an expensive ski
within this group. I'm only going to be hiring skis though so am only
interested in performance.
Head apparently have a good reputation but I couldn't find a ski that really
stands out. Can they compete with the "top 3"?
Numbers 6 to 8 were classified as being a freeride ski but information on these
models was scarce. Again, are they a match for Nordica, Dynastar and Volkl?
Rossignol were identified as being slightly boring. Is this true?

My (dry-slope) instructor said that I was an advanced-intermediate. I can
easily make parallel turns and can carve (thanks to newsgroup advice). I tried
some moguls on the 'snowflex' but they were beyond me. My instructor said that
they were the hardest moguls that he'd ever tried (worse than ice-moguls
apparently) so perhaps my failure doesn't represent my overall ability!? I'm
going on holiday with 3 others who are clear intermediates. Accordingly, I
probably won't be skiing off-piste. Have I considered the correct 'group' of
skis. Should I go for the 'softer' or 'stiffer' models in each range??

Which Ski!! Any opinions??

Thanks in advance!!
Niall
Old December 24th 04, 03:24 AM
Walt

NIALLBRUCE wrote:

I'm going skiing next week and have been trying to make a list of skis that
would be good to hire. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be many reviews
online. Nonetheless, I have been able to compile a short list of possibilities.

Brief notes:

1. Nordica SUV 12

Tried it, hated it. Combines the worst characteristics of a noodle
and a race ski. You gotta be on top of it all the time and it *still*
won't respond properly. Sluggish, unresponsive handling, just as the
name would imply.

2. Dynastar Omecarve 8 AIS or 9

I actually bought a pair of Omecarve 09's at the end of last season.
They're a blast on smooth groomed as long as you don't go too fast.
But get 'em moving or try to ski slop and crud and they vibrate,
chatter, and bounce you around like no tomorrow. The 10 may be
better. The 8 probably wouldn't be enough ski for you.

3. Volkl 4*

After about 10 days on the Dynastars above, I sold them and bought a
pair of 5 stars. Didn't try the 4* since the 5* is floppity enough,
thank you. Unmatched ice hold, effortless quick turns, very little
chatter at speed, smooth and powerful in the crud. Not as smooth,
stable and powerful as my P50's, but I'll take the trade off for
increased agility and ice hold.

4. Salomon Street Racer 9

huh?

5. Head C140

Tried the IC 160 two years ago and was favorably impressed.

6. Atomic SX7

An ugly ski for the colourblind. Maybe it skis ok (My ski partner
swears by his SX 11's) but I'm too vain to wear anything that looks
like *that*.

7. K2 Apache Hellfire

All I can tell you is that the website sucks. Sorry.

8. Fischer RX 8

I liked the RX series quite a bit. I have to admit that I couldn't
feel a lot of difference among the RX4-RX6-RX8. Good edge hold,
stable, precise.

9. Rossignol Zenith Z3

These are made in France. Anything else would be just heresay.

Which Ski!! Any opinions??

Rent (hire) and make up your own mind. Try a couple of different
models. See what you think. Try an Atomic C9 - most people seem to
like it, myself included.

--
// Walt
//

Old December 24th 04, 04:24 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message news:rSMyd.574

1. Nordica SUV 12

Tried it, hated it. Combines the worst characteristics of a noodle and a
race ski. You gotta be on top of it all the time and it *still* won't
respond properly. Sluggish, unresponsive handling, just as the name would
imply.

Yeah, I hated them too. I thought they were stiff, due to the
unresponsiveness. couldn't see the point in them at all. Clumpy things.

ant

Old December 24th 04, 02:00 PM
GF

I classify myself in the same range as you and have found the K2
Apache Crossfire to be a great match of performance and stability.
Very close to the Hellfire, I'm told, with a good deal of speed and
very easy to control. I really like these skis even more than I
thought I would.

Cheers,
GF