Ski Binding Question

Old February 4th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PSmith[_2_]

Default Ski Binding Question

When my skis are in summer storage I always un-tension the bindings (which I
recall reading some years ago as being good practice).

My wife has not skied (mainly because of the kids) for several years. Now on
preparing her skis for our forthcoming trip to Kitzbühel I cannot find the
sheet of paper where I recorded her DIN settings. I think my wife's bindings
where set to 7. She remembers them as being set to 7. I have found several
websites with DIN guides, and I have downloaded DIN calculators: they return
a value of 5.25/5.5 for my wife (based on age, height, weight, ability and
boot sole length)? When she bought her skis (in Munich), the technician
measured the width of her leg / bone as part of binding setup. Is there a
reason for this discrepancy? Her skis/bindings (Salomon) are probably five
years old (but she is very happy with them): is this a factor?

We do intend to visit our local ski shop to get things sorted out, but I
thought it is a useful discussion thread!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

regards
Paul Smith

Old February 5th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_3_]

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:15:22 -0000, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk squeezed out the following:

When my skis are in summer storage I always un-tension the bindings (which I
recall reading some years ago as being good practice).

My wife has not skied (mainly because of the kids) for several years. Now on
preparing her skis for our forthcoming trip to Kitzbühel I cannot find the
sheet of paper where I recorded her DIN settings. I think my wife's bindings
where set to 7. She remembers them as being set to 7. I have found several
websites with DIN guides, and I have downloaded DIN calculators: they return
a value of 5.25/5.5 for my wife (based on age, height, weight, ability and
boot sole length)?

My wife's are set (professionally) at 5.0, mine at 6.0 - we're both
intermediate. 7 sounds too high to me.

--
Colin Irvine
Old February 5th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:15:22 -0000, in
, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

When my skis are in summer storage I always un-tension the bindings (which I
recall reading some years ago as being good practice).

I really don't thin it's necessary. I've never done this, and most
years they bindings are re-tested (free, a servoce offered by our
employer, presumably to reduce accidents and lost time) and are fine.

My wife has not skied (mainly because of the kids) for several years. Now on
preparing her skis for our forthcoming trip to Kitzbühel I cannot find the
sheet of paper where I recorded her DIN settings. I think my wife's bindings
where set to 7. She remembers them as being set to 7.

This could be correct, but only if she's a very fit, aggressive skier,
and not on the short and thin side. But the tone of your post seems to
suggest otherwise.

I have found several
websites with DIN guides, and I have downloaded DIN calculators: they return
a value of 5.25/5.5 for my wife (based on age, height, weight, ability and
boot sole length)?

Sounds about right for an int-adv female of normal size, so I'd go
with it. Try skiing a couple of normal runs, then increase difficulty.
If they don't pre-release they should be fine.

When she bought her skis (in Munich), the technician
measured the width of her leg / bone as part of binding setup. Is there a
reason for this discrepancy?

Doubtful. More likely the ski-tech was using some ancient
approximation, possibly based on the longer skis of yore.

Her skis/bindings (Salomon) are probably five
years old (but she is very happy with them): is this a factor?

No.

Old February 5th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:32:16 +0000, in
, Colin Irvine
wrote:

My wife's are set (professionally) at 5.0, mine at 6.0 - we're both
intermediate. 7 sounds too high to me.

6 sounds a bit low for you, FWIW, given your size and all; and 5 might
even be on the high side for petite Pat.

DIN settings are a very personal thing though, and once you're happy
with a given setting it's perhaps best to stay with it, even if
'professional' advice says otherwise.

Old February 5th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Ace wrote:

6 sounds a bit low for you, FWIW, given your size and all

Chortle

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F & SL125
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old February 5th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:18:13 +0100, Ace squeezed
out the following:

wrote:

My wife's are set (professionally) at 5.0, mine at 6.0 - we're both
intermediate. 7 sounds too high to me.

6 sounds a bit low for you, FWIW, given your size and all; and 5 might
even be on the high side for petite Pat.

You're probably right about both, although I've lost a couple of stone
since I last saw you. I think I'll keep it low, though, given
advancing years as well!

--
Colin Irvine
Old February 5th 08, 10:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 4 Feb, 22:15, "PSmith" paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:
[...]

I'm 5 foot 7, 10.5 stone (before lunch) and intermediate to advanced.
5.5 on my Rossi B2s and I don't bother relaxing them over winter. If I
was skiing more I'd probably up them over the course of the season as
my riding got more aggressive, but as things stand at the moment
they'll probably stay like that until next winter.

7 sounds a little high to me.

Matt
Old February 5th 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

"Matt T" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and ability - i.e.
aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight is a key factor here.

However, my wife and I recently had to hire some skis in an old-style
family-run business in... well, anyway, the owner keyed all our details
(including age) into a rather dated-looking Rossignol calculator. The figure
which emerged was quite a bit lower than that which both of us have used in
the past, but we decided to go with it to prove a point. Interestingly,
despite skiing some of the steepest stuff in Areches quite enthusiastically,
we had no problems at all with pre-releasing.

Bottom Line, FWIW, seems to be that in the past maybe we've tended to
over-spec the settings.

Talking of which, has anyone replaced the non-releasing fixings found on
'minis' (I have some Fischer Spyder carvers currently lying idle) with
conventional bindings? I'm rather fond of my knees, and would like to
preserve them for as long as possible...

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old February 5th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:28:27 +0100, in ,
"Roger Moss" wrote:

Talking of which, has anyone replaced the non-releasing fixings found on
'minis' (I have some Fischer Spyder carvers currently lying idle) with
conventional bindings? I'm rather fond of my knees, and would like to
preserve them for as long as possible...

I've seen normal safety bindings on Snowblades and other similar
stuff, so yes, it's perfectly do-able, but I'm not sure whether the
same DIN setting would be appropriate, given the much lower leverage
involved.

Binding Remounting question? New One Alpine Skiing 7 April 22nd 04 03:09 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner Alpine Skiing 1 February 22nd 04 08:42 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 February 22nd 04 03:08 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner General 0 February 22nd 04 02:45 PM
Atomic REX and binding question Armin Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 February 6th 04 12:33 AM