Backcountry training

Old February 10th 04, 02:06 AM
So'n'so

Default Backcountry training

I'm quitting my job (woohoo!) and would like to take some courses on
backcountry skiing. I remember that there was a school in the Tahoe region,
but can't remember the name. Does anybody know? I'm an expert inbounds
skier, but have never gone backcountry, so would like to learn
avalanche/safety techniques, gear (AT vs tele vs snowshoes), and camping
approaches.

Old February 10th 04, 06:00 AM
Terry Morse

I remember that there was a school in the Tahoe region,
but can't remember the name. Does anybody know?

http://www.alpineskills.com/

Very technical courses. Less technical learning (but more fun) can
be had he

http://www.allmountainskipros.com/
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old February 10th 04, 02:50 PM

Old February 18th 04, 03:21 PM
julia

bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Feb.10.04@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote in message ...

In article ,
So'n'so wrote:
I'm quitting my job (woohoo!) and would like to take some courses on
backcountry skiing. I remember that there was a school in the Tahoe region,
but can't remember the name. Does anybody know? I'm an expert inbounds
skier, but have never gone backcountry, so would like to learn
avalanche/safety techniques, gear (AT vs tele vs snowshoes), and camping
approaches.

Try this web site, lots of discussions, links to Eastside guide services, avy conditions etc. http://sierrabackcountry.org/

If your gonna take the plunge, might as well be where the snow is
best, and the mountains are real.