A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Engleberg skiing



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old September 19th 14, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23
Default Engleberg skiing

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:59:43 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:52:21 GMT, Champ wrote:

Can't just put on a Pieps and call time-out if I don't like the way
things are going.


If only we knew someone involved with a ski school who might be able
to arrange that...


Not like you to miss a movie reference.


What? I've missed it completely, I'm afraid.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Ads
  #22  
Old September 19th 14, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default Engleberg skiing

ogden wrote in news:MPG.2e85fe30ae9d972f98a656
@news.eternal-september.org:

Jérémy wrote:

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc,

in
1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski boots.
I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them, but I
expect they were back-loaders.


*fnarr*


Yes, yes...

I forget what the official name for those things is - that's what we've
always called them.

--
Jeremy
K1300GT
  #23  
Old September 19th 14, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ogden
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Engleberg skiing

Jérémy wrote:

ogden wrote in news:MPG.2e85fe30ae9d972f98a656
@news.eternal-september.org:

Jérémy wrote:

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc,

in
1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski boots.
I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them, but I
expect they were back-loaders.


*fnarr*


Yes, yes...

I forget what the official name for those things is - that's what we've
always called them.


"Homosexuals".

--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor
GSXR1000 - vintage sports-tourer
  #24  
Old September 19th 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23
Default Engleberg skiing

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:13:52 GMT, "Jérémy" wrote:

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc, in
1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski boots.
I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them, but I
expect they were back-loaders.


*fnarr*


Yes, yes...


I forget what the official name for those things is - that's what we've
always called them.


I think they were called rear-entry back in the day. Which is no
better.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
  #25  
Old September 19th 14, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Engleberg skiing

On 19/09/2014 10:28, ogden wrote:
Jérémy wrote:

ogden wrote in news:MPG.2e85fe30ae9d972f98a656
@news.eternal-september.org:

Jérémy wrote:

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc,
in
1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski boots.
I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them, but I
expect they were back-loaders.

*fnarr*


Yes, yes...

I forget what the official name for those things is - that's what we've
always called them.


"Homosexuals".


g

--
Rick Brown

SprintRS R100RT
  #26  
Old September 19th 14, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Cab[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Engleberg skiing

J�r�my wibbled forthrightly:

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc,
in 1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski
boots. I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them,
but I expect they were back-loaders. Can't have been more comfortable
than modern snowboard boots, certainly, and they climbed up the ridge
on the Gouter in them.


Well if you fancy doing MB again, gimme a shout, I'll be more than
happy to walk it with you. No helicopters mind.

--
Cab :^) - Cogito sumere potum alterum
Z1000ABS : http://www.rosbif.org/bike/
email addy : ukrm_dot_cab_at_rosbif_dot_org
SBS#33
  #27  
Old September 19th 14, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default Engleberg skiing

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:28:46 +0100, Champ wrote:

[ ski boots with a hinged rear calf plate to facilitate... oh sod it: entry ]
I forget what the official name for those things is - that's what we've
always called them.


I think they were called rear-entry back in the day. Which is no
better.


That's my recollection.
--

Pip


  #28  
Old September 19th 14, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 177
Default Engleberg skiing

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:53:31 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

Silly boy - it from *from* the heli not to it.


Engrish?

--
Ace
Prime Ski School, Engelberg, CH
http://www.prime-engelberg.ch
  #29  
Old September 19th 14, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 177
Default Engleberg skiing

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:52:21 +0100, Champ wrote:

We really must get you out to Engelberg. Iain loved it when he came
out, and I'm pretty sure you would too. And there's enough options
that you could bring K with you, and dip off for an off-piste run
without abandoning her completely.

I've not done any proper backcountry stuff for quite a while and if
sanity prevails, I'd get some avalanche awareness re-training before doing
so again.

Can't just put on a Pieps and call time-out if I don't like the way things
are going.


If only we knew someone involved with a ski school who might be able
to arrange that...


So look guys, we can take this seriously if you like. The Engelberg
Moutain Guides http://www.engelbergmountainguide.ch/ share the office
and booking systems etc. with us, and honestly Neal, you know the
amazing stuff we've skied together here? You've not even scratched the
surface. You've only seen the stuff that I feel confident taking
people down, FFS. With an hour or two of walking (with a guide) I
reckon we could blow your mind.

--
Ace
Prime Ski School, Engelberg, CH
http://www.prime-engelberg.ch
  #30  
Old September 19th 14, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
petrolcan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Engleberg skiing

In article , Ace says...

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:52:21 +0100, Champ wrote:

We really must get you out to Engelberg. Iain loved it when he came
out, and I'm pretty sure you would too. And there's enough options
that you could bring K with you, and dip off for an off-piste run
without abandoning her completely.

I've not done any proper backcountry stuff for quite a while and if
sanity prevails, I'd get some avalanche awareness re-training before doing
so again.

Can't just put on a Pieps and call time-out if I don't like the way things
are going.


If only we knew someone involved with a ski school who might be able
to arrange that...


So look guys, we can take this seriously if you like. The Engelberg
Moutain Guides http://www.engelbergmountainguide.ch/ share the office
and booking systems etc. with us, and honestly Neal, you know the
amazing stuff we've skied together here? You've not even scratched the
surface. You've only seen the stuff that I feel confident taking
people down, FFS. With an hour or two of walking (with a guide) I
reckon we could blow your mind.


Spamming ****




;-)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rec.skiing,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic Peter Steppe Backcountry Skiing 0 January 5th 05 08:19 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.