Best skiing resort for a complete beginner?

Old November 7th 03, 12:36 PM
Johannes

Default Best skiing resort for a complete beginner?

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:16:19 -0000, "NewsGroups"
wrote:

Can someone please suggest the best ski resort(s) in Europe for a complete
beginner.

I am looking to go skiing for a week in January / February and would like to
learn while at the resort.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Saas Fee www.saas-fee.ch
Bettmer Alp + Fiescher Alp www.aletsch.ch
Soerenberg www.soerenberg.ch
Davos www.davos.ch
Lenzerheide/Valbella www.lenzerheide.ch

Johannes
Old November 7th 03, 12:42 PM
James Hart

MoonMan wrote:
In , Michael MacClancy
typed:
"NewsGroups" wrote in message
Can someone please suggest the best ski resort(s) in Europe for a
complete beginner.

I am looking to go skiing for a week in January / February and would
like to learn while at the resort.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks
John Scale

I would strongly recommend that you have lessons on a dry slope
before going. You'll learn the basics from someone who you can be
sure speaks English and you'll also probably go straight into a more
advanced class than 'beginners' when you get to the resort.

I was going to say that, but decided it would probably incite anti
dryslope responses

However I've just started teaching my first beginers course of the
season and all but one of them have already booked their holidays.

Our mob of non skiers did a 6 hour (spread over 6 weeks) dry slope course
and we reckon they gained about 3 days advantage on those that didn't have
any lessons at all. This meant that we could take them on quieter slopes as
the ski school groups were all fighting over the same few pistes. As far as
cost goes it worked out dearer doing it that way but they all felt happier
being on the mountain on the first morning and already knowing a fair bit
about what they were supposed to be doing. As far as the non virgins in the
group were concerned, we were happy in that we could ski with them without
feeling like we were being held back too much. The nice thing for them was
to talk to people in the bars near the end of the week and be able to say
"oh, we did that run days ago... it's our first trip too".

Now they've had a couple of weeks on the real thing they don't want to go on
the plastic this year as they don't think they'll benefit any.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Old November 7th 03, 01:35 PM
Steve Haigh

James Hart wrote:

The nice thing for them was
to talk to people in the bars near the end of the week and be able to say
"oh, we did that run days ago... it's our first trip too".

The piste-ticking and difficulty-snobbery is one of the funniest things
about beginner skiers. I have to admit I was the same[*], desperate to
do a black run on my first ever holiday. I did it, and bragged about it,
but what I didn't say is that a side slipped all the tricky bits and
snow plowed the rest.

I sometimes worry that people going on a ski holiday forget that it's a
holiday, I think they need to relax a bit and not worry about what they
ski and instead just have a good time and try to enjoy what they do. I
have tried and failed to impart this to clients before when I worked in
ski resorts. I suggested that maybe we should ski something they would
enjoy, rather than look for runs to tick-off. The ones that agreed to my
suggestion were often much happier at the end of the day than the ones
who insisted I take them to the harder runs. And a happy client means tips!

Now they've had a couple of weeks on the real thing they don't want to go on
the plastic this year as they don't think they'll benefit any.

There is still the benefit of getting the legs going again. Although I
loath plastic with a passion, I hate it less than I hate the gym. It is
good for stretching the legs and for starting to get in shape for
skiing. You have to work on it though and push yourself a bit, you won't
get any benefit just side slipping and skidding around.

Steve
[*] And I am probably still the same, but I wouldn't say I had skied a
run unless I felt I had done it justice and skied it properly. I guess
I'm still a snob, just a different kind of snob these days.

Old November 7th 03, 01:54 PM
MoonMan

In , James Hart typed:
MoonMan wrote:
[...]

I think it's worth spending an hour or so on plastic before you go away as
it helps to bring yourself back up to speed, in that it hasn't been a year
since the last time you slid down a hill. I must admit though if it wasn't
for racing I don't think I would ski on plastic much aprt from a coupple of
sessions just before a trip.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old November 7th 03, 02:23 PM
Steve Haigh

MoonMan wrote:

I think it's worth spending an hour or so on plastic before you go away as
it helps to bring yourself back up to speed, in that it hasn't been a year
since the last time you slid down a hill. I must admit though if it wasn't
for racing I don't think I would ski on plastic much aprt from a coupple of
sessions just before a trip.

Racing on plastic can be fun, and it gives you something to do when
you're not actually on snow. For a non beginner skiing on plastic is not
very interesting, but if you put a few poles up it is good fun and great
training for real skiing.

Old November 7th 03, 02:41 PM
MoonMan

In , Steve Haigh typed:
MoonMan wrote:

I think it's worth spending an hour or so on plastic before you go
away as it helps to bring yourself back up to speed, in that it
hasn't been a year since the last time you slid down a hill. I must
admit though if it wasn't for racing I don't think I would ski on
plastic much aprt from a coupple of sessions just before a trip.

Racing on plastic can be fun, and it gives you something to do when
you're not actually on snow. For a non beginner skiing on plastic is
not very interesting, but if you put a few poles up it is good fun
and great training for real skiing.

Do you race?

I agree that for a non beginer plastic is not very interessting but the best
exercise for skiing is...skiing

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old November 7th 03, 03:11 PM
Steve Haigh

MoonMan wrote:

Racing on plastic can be fun, and it gives you something to do when
you're not actually on snow. For a non beginner skiing on plastic is
not very interesting, but if you put a few poles up it is good fun
and great training for real skiing.

Do you race?

Not for a long time, and only did it at a very amature, or should I say
"social", level at university. We went to Halifax dry slope, very short
and very steep. I thought I was a good skier until I tried to go around
poles... I did find that after racing once a week for 2 or 3 months I
was much fitter on the snow than I had been in previous years.

I agree that for a non beginer plastic is not very interessting but the best
exercise for skiing is...skiing

True, but I do find doing weights in the gym helps a little bit, and I'm
told by a physio that it will reduce the chances of injury, even if I
don't feel much fitter. That's what I do now, but I live quite close to
"Bracknell Alps" so I might try that sometime - anyone been there?

Old November 7th 03, 03:31 PM
MoonMan

In , Steve Haigh typed:
MoonMan wrote:

[...]

I went there once many years ago, the only dry slope i have ever skied with
a chairlift!

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old November 7th 03, 05:27 PM
Jorg

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:31:11 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

In , Steve Haigh typed:

I went there once many years ago, the only dry slope i have ever skied with
a chairlift!

Before I ever saw snow I had about 6-10 lessons on a dry slope, the
'rotating carpet' type.

This is where you virtually stand still, and the angled carpet moves
away under you. As you have only about 2 yards on both sides, this was
very hard in the beginning- mistakes are cruelly payed for.

Although when I finally hit the snow- I was amazed how much easier
that was- I just skied away from the first day, and they scaled me at
level 3 (Swiss) for further lessons.

Old November 7th 03, 05:52 PM
David Off

NewsGroups wrote:
Can someone please suggest the best ski resort(s) in Europe for a complete
beginner.

I am looking to go skiing for a week in January / February and would like to
learn while at the resort.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

andorra

Celebrity Resort Steamboat Springs john General 0 July 14th 04 04:36 PM
Skiing in Lebanon Aboutaam General 0 March 7th 04 04:51 PM
Questions from a new skiing family Rich Heimlich General 11 March 2nd 04 02:46 PM
Snowboarding or skiing? Joe Ramirez Snowboarding 53 February 11th 04 12:23 PM
Can you recommend a nice cross-country skiing place not far from NYC alex General 0 December 10th 03 03:59 PM