Thrift store shopping advice

Old September 13th 11, 04:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Thrift store shopping advice

On Sep 12, 11:08*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/12/2011 03:41 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

My wekanesses: *pretty bowls, cheaply-priced pyrex ccokware,
interesting beer mugs, cool books (this trip I got a first edition of
We Took to the Woods (1942) and a 30's-vintage Pacific Island travel
book), and tools I don't have. *My wife is getting me to look at
clothing, so this trip I bought a brand-new Pendeton wool shirt.

I really like wool, but it develops tiny holes. *Probably not from
moths, I'm sure I'd notice them, but annoying anyway. *Synthetics aren't
as nice, but are far more practical for somebody who really doesn't want
to deal with stuff like that.

Books. *Jesus. *I only buy paperbacks now, and I give them to the
library when I'm done. *Even so, we have bales of them that will never
get read. *REAL books, not just best-sellers.

I finally bought some nonstick frying pans from Costco a couple of
months ago (Tramontina, so far so good even with scrambled eggs made
with dried egg whites and water) and then I found an 8" Anolon, which
seems pretty nice.

Pretty stuff... No more horizontal room for pretty stuff. *Or even for
useful stuff.

Best now is finding some really cool thing that a friend will like --
the joy of acquisition coupled with the pleasure of the friend coupled
with the realization that storage is the FRIEND's problem.

I got started on the bowl thing because I was frustrated that we did
not have nay bowls bigger than a soup bowl and smaller than a mixing
bowl. I was surprised at all the one-of-a-kind bowls there were at
thrift stores. I like them old or odd pattern, but no metal trim so
they can go in the microwave.

And I forgot to mention butter dishes with artistic covers. I have
several now - my favorite is a recumbent cow.

Old September 13th 11, 04:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 13, 8:30*am, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:05:39 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

On 9/13/11 5:08 AM, wrote:
Cooking is a waste of time. *There are two things I hate doing around
the house, cooking and doing dishes.

That's easy enough to manage -
give up eating.

Easier than that. *Dine in fine restaurants.

Vote for Romney. *Repeal the nightmares.

The VFW hall is a fine restaurant?