Forward Lean Angles

Old December 7th 04, 05:06 PM
tg

Default Forward Lean Angles

I am planning on playing around with my forward lean angles more this year.
Just for fun, what is everyone setting them up as? I am currently running at
5 degrees from vertical. BTW- Free ride get down the mountain only, love
trees/glades no park/pipe.

Thanks,
Tim

Old December 7th 04, 05:27 PM
lonerider

tg wrote:
I am planning on playing around with my forward lean angles more this

year.
Just for fun, what is everyone setting them up as? I am currently

running at
5 degrees from vertical. BTW- Free ride get down the mountain only,

love
trees/glades no park/pipe.

Thanks,
Tim

More forward lean gives you quicker, more powerful heelsides. Too much
forward lean will cause the highback to dig into your calves, forcing
you to ride with bent knees all the time... while that's good in terms
of technique, it will tire you out quickly (quad burn) and it's not
worth it for most people (maybe if you were doing boardercross).

I usually ride my bindings with the forward lean either at the maximum
lean setting, or one notch back. I have small calves though (and hence
require more forward lean). I suggest just setting the forward lean to
the highest setting, and then slowly ease it back to a setting that is
comfortable to ride in. Don't forget to rotate your highbacks so they
are in line with the axis of the board.

Old December 7th 04, 05:32 PM
Jason Medeiros

lonerider makes the point:
" Don't forget to rotate your highbacks so they are in line with the axis of
the board."

can you expound upon this? rotate them how?

--

jmed

Old December 7th 04, 05:34 PM
Neil Gendzwill

lonerider wrote:

[snip text of double post]

So Arvin, using Google Groups Beta? Tons of double posts on usenet
today because of that POS.

As for forward lean, I like "3" on my Raichles.

Neil

Old December 7th 04, 06:19 PM
tg

"Jason Medeiros" wrote in message
lonerider makes the point:
" Don't forget to rotate your highbacks so they are in line with the axis
of
the board."

can you expound upon this? rotate them how?

Some highbacks can be mounted in one of 3 holes on each side of the binding.
If you run with higher angles, then the highback is not parallel to the
heelside edge of the board if you do not rotate it. Assuming a binding has
holes numbered 1,2,3 on the left and right you may run the highback in
pairs (1,1), (2,2), (3,3) if you run 0 or very low binding angles. The
highback will be parallel to the heelside of the board. If you run
intermediate binding angles you may want to go to pairs of (1,2) or (2,3)
((depending upon angles and front/rear). For higher angles you could go to
(1-3).

Hope that makes sense. Basically it is an attempt to keep the highback
parallel to the heel edge of the board to optimize leverage on the edge.

Old December 7th 04, 07:12 PM
tg

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
lonerider wrote:

[snip text of double post]

So Arvin, using Google Groups Beta? Tons of double posts on usenet today
because of that POS.

As for forward lean, I like "3" on my Raichles.

Neil

Interesting, does anyone actually measure what that setting is as far as
degrees from horizontal or vertical? I know my flows don't have a setting,
just the microadjustment with bars, but the angle is dependent upon which
slot the cable is in. Seems like it would be nice to know as an absolute for
recreating setups etc.... - sorry engineer techo geek coming out in me.

Old December 7th 04, 07:14 PM
Mike T

Interesting, does anyone actually measure what that setting is as far as
degrees from horizontal or vertical? I know my flows don't have a setting,
just the microadjustment with bars, but the angle is dependent upon which
slot the cable is in. Seems like it would be nice to know as an absolute
for recreating setups etc.... - sorry engineer techo geek coming out in
me.

Nothing wrong with that. My Salomon Sp6's from a few years back have a fwd
lean control that is marked in 3 degree increments up to 27 degrees.

Old December 7th 04, 07:32 PM
Mike T

What do you have them set to?

21 on the front and 24 on the back for most conditions; less in powder, I
think 18 on both. 15 is the minimum setting; measurement is from vertical.

I used to ride w/ 27 on both, but since I started hardbooting more, I've
been able to carve in softies better without such extreme forward lean.

Mike T

Old December 8th 04, 06:39 AM
lonerider

Ahh... duh... I didn't realize the numbers on my new Catek Freeride /
Salomon SP6 combo. So yea, max forward lean minus one notch is 24 on
both...

Alas, I am bound to Google Groups for now as I don't have a newsgroup
server I can log into to anymore (are their free open ones around?)

--Arvin

Mike T wrote:
What do you have them set to?

21 on the front and 24 on the back for most conditions; less in

powder, I
think 18 on both. 15 is the minimum setting; measurement is from

vertical.

I used to ride w/ 27 on both, but since I started hardbooting more,

I've
been able to carve in softies better without such extreme forward

lean.

Mike T

Freeman's forward foot thrust during double poling. Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 9 August 11th 04 03:09 PM
Stance angles Dean Snowboarding 0 March 15th 04 10:07 AM
Going in Circles- The Forward Step In Skating. Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 15 January 13th 04 10:00 PM
Flow Forward Lean... toddjb Snowboarding 8 December 25th 03 03:32 PM
Forward Lean Question - w/ new Ride bindings toddjb Snowboarding 5 December 9th 03 03:36 PM