Trouble Tightening Snowboard Boots

Old January 22nd 04, 04:31 PM
Jason Watkins

Default Trouble Tightening Snowboard Boots

poor design since the liner came with the boot. Probably because the
shell was designed to take 26.0 and 26.5 liners.

It's worse than that. I have some 28.5 raichle 123's, and if you check
around on the various parts (back of heel, inside of boot cuff, inside
of boot tounge) you'll actually see the size range printed/stamped on
them. On mine they say 28.5-29-30. So it looks like they try to cover
1.5cm or more with each size. So if you order some more, try to talk
to someone who knows the shell sizing, and make sure you actually get
down to a smaller shell.

I think the buckles just suck too. Really, I've not been at all
impressed with these boots. Sure, I paid like $40 for the shells and
they were a cheap way to try hardbooting, but now that I'm going to be
giving hardbooting a longer run I'm trying to order just about
anything other than another pair of Raichles. I want real ski boot
buckles, not these silly ratchet things.
Old January 22nd 04, 05:03 PM
Mike T

It's worse than that. I have some 28.5 raichle 123's, and if you check
around on the various parts (back of heel, inside of boot cuff, inside
of boot tounge) you'll actually see the size range printed/stamped on
them. On mine they say 28.5-29-30. So it looks like they try to cover
1.5cm or more with each size. So if you order some more, try to talk
to someone who knows the shell sizing, and make sure you actually get
down to a smaller shell.

I think there are three pieces...

The bottom of the boot which covers a whole size plus the half size,
e.g. 29-29.5
The upper, which covers a larger range, in your case 28.5 - 30
The tongue, which comes in three sizes - 22-24.5, 25-27.5, and 28+.

I think the buckles just suck too. Really, I've not been at all
impressed with these boots. Sure, I paid like $40 for the shells and
they were a cheap way to try hardbooting, but now that I'm going to be
giving hardbooting a longer run I'm trying to order just about
anything other than another pair of Raichles. I want real ski boot
buckles, not these silly ratchet things.

Yes, the buckles suck!!!! And the plastic the Raichles are made of is
cheap and heavy. And the Raichle/Deeluxe boots haven't improved much
over the years - today's DeeLuxe LeMans and Spa models are pretty much
the same as the Raichle 124 and 123 from like 1997. The LeMans at
$379 USD is a friggin' ripoff.

But, fit is everything in boots, and crappy buckles and cheap plastic
are a joy to deal with compared to ill-fitting boots, so I keep using
Raichle. I just keep my eyes peeled on eBay and Bomber classifieds,
and if I see a model I like in my size, new or almost new, for cheap, I
buy 'em.

Mike T

Old January 22nd 04, 07:21 PM
Ace

I've got something even better - they're called "buckles".

Neil

Irrelevant, but thanks anyway.

Got any links of this thing oyu have? I went to the Lacebone but
couldnt get a good look at the thing, or how it would be used..

tia

I'm sorry, I don't. I couldn't find them online, and I just happened
to find this ski shop I went to. You may have to call Lacebone
directly.

Eric
Old January 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
robgaloshes

get a pair of soft laces. check out some of the hi-end burton boots. i
have the sl-6's and they have some very plush laces that won't tear up
your skin. you should be able to buy similar laces at your local board
shop.
Old January 22nd 04, 11:23 PM
Arvin Chang

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
It's worse than that. I have some 28.5 raichle 123's, and if you check
around on the various parts (back of heel, inside of boot cuff, inside
of boot tounge) you'll actually see the size range printed/stamped on
them. On mine they say 28.5-29-30. So it looks like they try to cover
1.5cm or more with each size. So if you order some more, try to talk
to someone who knows the shell sizing, and make sure you actually get
down to a smaller shell.

I think there are three pieces...

The bottom of the boot which covers a whole size plus the half size,
e.g. 29-29.5
The upper, which covers a larger range, in your case 28.5 - 30
The tongue, which comes in three sizes - 22-24.5, 25-27.5, and 28+.

I saw the same thing, but I ended up with Mike's interpretation.
However, I'm not 100% sure, so who know... either way, the shells
don't fit like they are suppose to in terms of sizing (liners fit
though)

[...]

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that
hardboots fit better than softboots, or that since you've found a pair
of Raichle hardboots that fit you (i.e. figured out the sizing
"shift") that you are hesistant to go exploring other brands that
might "naturally" fit your foot better?

I think I'm going to side with Jason on this and probably check out
some other brands to see if they are better. What other brands are
there? I see Head, UPS and Raichle as the last remaining boot
manufacturers.

--Arvin
Old January 22nd 04, 11:28 PM
Arvin Chang

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message . com...
The best solution to this problem is the BOA cable lacing system. I
have a pair of the Vans Contras and they are awesome. Slip right on,
slip right off and tighten in a few seconds. They use a steel cable
with a ratchet knob instead of laces. Unlike laces, the cable doesn't
bunch up and tightens uniformly, top to the very bottom.

Also, I tighten them just snug in the lodge. At the top of the lift,
I tighten them the rest of the way. After a couple runs, if I want
to, with a turn of the knob I can tighten them again after they pack
out some. I can even do it on the lift. To release them, you just
pull out on the ratchet knob and they completely release.

I'd never buy a pair of regular lace boots again.

The BOA lacing system looks very cool. They don't work very well with
Flow binding though. My friend bought a pair of Vans Contras this
season and loved them... until the rachet knob fell off....
essentially making it impossible to tighten. I think it jammed against
the Flow binding front cuff or something... Also the Contra's heelsole
has a ridge in the back that can catch on heelcups. Again normally
this a minor annoyance for strap riders, but for flow bindings this
mean you can't get your foot out at all unless you completely take off
the front cuff.

So this is more a warning to make sure that you boots work with your
bindings that any knock on the Contras, I think they look like a very
nice boot (how stiff are they?)

--Arvin
Old January 23rd 04, 05:55 AM
Mike T

But, fit is everything in boots, and crappy buckles and cheap
plastic
are a joy to deal with compared to ill-fitting boots, so I keep

using
Raichle. I just keep my eyes peeled on eBay and Bomber

classifieds,
and if I see a model I like in my size, new or almost new, for

cheap, I
buy 'em.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that
hardboots fit better than softboots, or that since you've found a pair
of Raichle hardboots that fit you (i.e. figured out the sizing
"shift") that you are hesistant to go exploring other brands that
might "naturally" fit your foot better?

Raichle *is* a natural fit for me. My feet are quite narrow and so are
the Raichle SB series. Footbeds and Thermo liners solve issues like
flat feet and bony feet, both of which I have, but yeah, the narrow
Raichle shells have been good to me. Everyone who's tried Burton,
Head/Blax, and UPS say they are all wider than Raichle, so I haven't
bothered. My only point was, I'm willing to put up with crappy
ratchets etc. so I can have boots that fit me really well!

I think I'm going to side with Jason on this and probably check out
some other brands to see if they are better. What other brands are
there? I see Head, UPS and Raichle as the last remaining boot
manufacturers.

You've got the whole list (without going to Europe or Japan at least) -
Burton isn't making 'em anymore but remaining stock can be had at
www.klugriding.com (see Bomber for horror stories)
If you find something that fits right and has better features, awesome.

Old January 23rd 04, 04:18 PM
Arvin Chang

"Mike T" wrote in message news:mz3Qb.4645 I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that
hardboots fit better than softboots, or that since you've found a pair
of Raichle hardboots that fit you (i.e. figured out the sizing
"shift") that you are hesistant to go exploring other brands that
might "naturally" fit your foot better?

Raichle *is* a natural fit for me. My feet are quite narrow and so are
the Raichle SB series. Footbeds and Thermo liners solve issues like
flat feet and bony feet, both of which I have, but yeah, the narrow
Raichle shells have been good to me. Everyone who's tried Burton,
Head/Blax, and UPS say they are all wider than Raichle, so I haven't
bothered. My only point was, I'm willing to put up with crappy
ratchets etc. so I can have boots that fit me really well!

Width wise yes (hence why I'm trying them) but length wise... a mondo
26 boot should fit a person with mondo 26 feet since both are length
measurements, no?

I think I'm going to side with Jason on this and probably check out
some other brands to see if they are better. What other brands are
there? I see Head, UPS and Raichle as the last remaining boot
manufacturers.

You've got the whole list (without going to Europe or Japan at least) -
Burton isn't making 'em anymore but remaining stock can be had at
www.klugriding.com (see Bomber for horror stories)
If you find something that fits right and has better features, awesome.

Anyone trying UPS or Head boots? (I guess this is the wrong place to
ask)

--Arvin
Old January 23rd 04, 05:19 PM
Mike T

Raichle *is* a natural fit for me. My feet are quite narrow and so
are
the Raichle SB series. Footbeds and Thermo liners solve issues

like
flat feet and bony feet, both of which I have, but yeah, the narrow
Raichle shells have been good to me. Everyone who's tried Burton,
Head/Blax, and UPS say they are all wider than Raichle, so I haven't
bothered. My only point was, I'm willing to put up with crappy
ratchets etc. so I can have boots that fit me really well!

Width wise yes (hence why I'm trying them) but length wise... a mondo
26 boot should fit a person with mondo 26 feet since both are length
measurements, no?

There's just too many variables for that to work all the time.

My feet are flat, narrow, bony, and my toeline is quite angled. (Make
all the girly feet jokes you want). Heel to big toe, I measure 26.5 and
26.7 respectively. With my angled toeline, my 2nd toe to heel is like
25 cm. If someone had more "boxy", wide feet, a big toe to heel of
26.7 might give a 2nd toe to heel that is more like 26 or 26.5. So if
the boot shell is shaped such that the inside is longer than the
outside, I'll be comfy in a smaller shell. Now, throw in the fact that
I use a thermo liner. Fitted thermo liners can be less bulky that the
standard Raichle liner, meaning that given the same inside volume, the
outside surface is a little less. Thus, the need again for slightly
less space inside the shell. My 26.5/7 feet are happy with a size 25
shell with fitted thermo liners. And at the end of the day that's
what's important.

Sure, I could try other brands, and I might like the features better.
That would cost money that I'd rather spend on boards and bindings
though - and since my current boots fit very well, I'm inclined to keep
using them.

Mike T

Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
Salomon boots Biff Snowboarding 10 October 6th 03 09:17 AM
FS: Arbor Woodie, Vans Fargo boots My Name Snowboarding 0 October 2nd 03 05:27 AM
FA: Burton Snowboard boots - 12 hours to go Richard Snowboarding 0 September 3rd 03 10:41 PM
FS: Burton snowboard boots Richard Snowboarding 0 August 4th 03 08:11 PM