Fischer Blade models?

Old November 3rd 04, 02:24 AM
gr

Default Fischer Blade models?

I don't know if this is the right forum for snow blades, but I couldn't
find a dedicated one so I will ask my questions here.
I am a xc skier (touring/backcountry, not racing) for 4 years or so, and
am going to give downhill a try (did a few times in the past but didn't
like the hard pack (western New York State snow) or the crowds. I figure
I can avoid both of those by going to the slopes when others don't.

Anyway, regarding Fischer Web and Web XL ski board/snow blades;
1) For wettish Western New York snow, which of these would be better?
2) What is the major user difference between them?
3) The Fischers come with non-releasable bindings; some other brands
have regular bindings; any big advantage of one over the other?
4) Are these about right for a 175 lb guy?
Thanks,
gr
Old November 3rd 04, 05:22 AM
foot2foot

Do not under any circumstances use any "ski" or blade that
does not have a binding which will release. These things are
very dangerous, and in fact really shouldn't be sold.

You are *begging* for a broken bone or other serious injury
if you do. You don't need anything that short to learn alpine
skiing. They are a pain in many cases because they're so
short. You get the living crap beat out of you in any kind of
cut up or bumpy snow, which a longer ski would just surf
right over.

If you *must* have a short ski, get one like Rossi or
Atomic make, a 120, 30 or 40 ski with a regular ski
binding that releases.

As you mentioned, I think Fischer does also make a short
ski with an actual binding.

In my opinion, if you want something to make it easy, go
with a 150 or 160. You'll learn in no time. Also, you
might look at my post above about learning to ski with
magic turns. No matter how long you screw around with
teensy skis, you'll still have to learn the same things you
would have when you move to a longer pair, so why not
start out with one?

Old November 3rd 04, 05:34 AM
Lucky

"tm" wrote in message

"gr" wrote in message
I don't know if this is the right forum for snow blades, but I couldn't
find a dedicated one so I will ask my questions here.
I am a xc skier

Dear god, first we allow topposting and then xc skiers? What next
snowboarding clowns from hell?

Too late. there's DMTRY the all knowing skier, who's actually a boarder.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:46 AM
Dmitry

"Lucky" wrote

Dear god, first we allow topposting and then xc skiers? What next
snowboarding clowns from hell?

Too late. there's DMTRY the all knowing skier, who's actually a boarder.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel fulfilled and complete now.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:50 AM
Dmitry

"Dmitry" wrote

Dear god, first we allow topposting and then xc skiers? What next
snowboarding clowns from hell?

Too late. there's DMTRY the all knowing skier, who's actually a boarder.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel fulfilled and complete now.

BTW, here's the rub: the season is opened, this is from Timberline on Sun:
http://azazello.net/misc/timberline-air.jpg

Old November 3rd 04, 03:28 PM
Bob Lee

foot2foot said:

Do not under any circumstances use any "ski" or blade that
does not have a binding which will release. These things are
very dangerous, and in fact really shouldn't be sold.

This is going to destroy telemarking as we know it. And who's going to tell
the snowboarders about this?

Bob
Old November 3rd 04, 04:05 PM
lal_truckee

Bob Lee wrote:
foot2foot said:

Do not under any circumstances use any "ski" or blade that
does not have a binding which will release. These things are
very dangerous, and in fact really shouldn't be sold.

This is going to destroy telemarking as we know it. And who's going to tell
the snowboarders about this?

Nobody will reveal these facts to them, hopefully.
Part of the plot to thin the snowboard pack (and trim the backcountry
adherents to those properly equiped with Rando gear.)
Old November 3rd 04, 06:31 PM
Bob Lee

"gr" wrote in message
I don't know if this is the right forum for snow blades, but I couldn't
find a dedicated one so I will ask my questions here.
I am a xc skier

Dear god, first we allow topposting and then xc skiers? What next
snowboarding clowns from hell?

Snowboarding clowns?
http://www.grogg.li/pics/Clown_Album...wboard_jpg.jpg

And I think this seems hellish enough for our purposes:
http://www.grogg.li/

Bob
Old November 3rd 04, 07:04 PM
Dmitry

"lal_truckee" wrote

This is going to destroy telemarking as we know it. And who's going to tell the snowboarders about this?

Nobody will reveal these facts to them, hopefully.
Part of the plot to thin the snowboard pack (and trim the backcountry adherents to those properly equiped with Rando gear.)

Rando boots, split board with plates.. Good stuff.

Old November 4th 04, 03:17 AM
rosco

Dmitry wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote

This is going to destroy telemarking as we know it. And who's going to tell the snowboarders about this?

Nobody will reveal these facts to them, hopefully.
Part of the plot to thin the snowboard pack (and trim the backcountry adherents to those properly equiped with Rando gear.)

Rando boots, split board with plates.. Good stuff.

Hey - ice skates