paging UK Boarders: newbie question for the locals

Old May 30th 06, 06:01 PM

I was thinking of learning to snowboard with 4 friends in the next
few months. I was considering doing a "Learn to board in a day" course
in either MK (expensive, but local) or Tamworth (further away, but
cheaper).

Do it :-)

Can anyone who's actually done one of these tell me if they're any
good ?

I can give you my own testimonial of MK, as I did the one day
introduction course.

It rocked. The instructor (Dan - dunno if he still works there) was
brilliant. Knew his stuff, rode well himself and was a brilliant
teacher. That was back in the spring of 2005.

That was my first and last trip to the snowdome in MK, I moved to
another country where I can ride all winter on the open slopes. :-)

Will I actually be able to board after one of these courses ?

That was my one and only time on a board before doing the real thing
maybe 9 months later. I remembered a lot of the basics and definately
appreciated the foundation work.

Of course, one day is pretty tight so unless you're *really* natural at
it, you will need more time to be able to ride for fun instead of just
falling on your arse all the time. (That's not to say that falling on
your arse isn't fun... Just make sure that you take some good
painkillers for the evening and day after your trip... ;-))

How fit do my fairly unfit mates need to be for this ?

How long is a piece of string?

--
David Peacock -

Old May 30th 06, 07:09 PM

David Peacock wrote:
wrote:
I was thinking of learning to snowboard with 4 friends in the next
few months. I was considering doing a "Learn to board in a day" course
in either MK (expensive, but local) or Tamworth (further away, but
cheaper).

Do it :-)

I shall.

Can anyone who's actually done one of these tell me if they're any
good ?

I can give you my own testimonial of MK, as I did the one day
introduction course.

It rocked. The instructor (Dan - dunno if he still works there) was
brilliant. Knew his stuff, rode well himself and was a brilliant
teacher. That was back in the spring of 2005.

Cool - that's the sort of thing I was after. Someone who did it and had
a good time.

That was my first and last trip to the snowdome in MK, I moved to
another country where I can ride all winter on the open slopes. :-)

Will I actually be able to board after one of these courses ?

That was my one and only time on a board before doing the real thing
maybe 9 months later. I remembered a lot of the basics and definately
appreciated the foundation work.

Of course, one day is pretty tight so unless you're *really* natural at
it, you will need more time to be able to ride for fun instead of just
falling on your arse all the time. (That's not to say that falling on
your arse isn't fun... Just make sure that you take some good
painkillers for the evening and day after your trip... ;-))

What I meant to ask was - were you safe to go on a hill / slope with
other people or did you need to take more lessons. I presume it was the
former.

How fit do my fairly unfit mates need to be for this ?

How long is a piece of string?

2 foot. Now what's the answer to my question ?

I don't know - I play a bunch of squash and occasionally train in
martial arts, I expect I will manage the day no problem. A couple of my
mates consider walking to the bar sufficient exercise for the week - I
suspect that they will have an interesting time. The g/f does pilates
quite a bit so that should be interesting.

Thanks for the answer.

Old May 30th 06, 08:03 PM

David Peacock wrote:
That was my one and only time on a board before doing the real thing
maybe 9 months later. I remembered a lot of the basics and definately
appreciated the foundation work.

Of course, one day is pretty tight so unless you're *really* natural at
it, you will need more time to be able to ride for fun instead of just
falling on your arse all the time. (That's not to say that falling on
your arse isn't fun... Just make sure that you take some good
painkillers for the evening and day after your trip... ;-))

What I meant to ask was - were you safe to go on a hill / slope with
other people or did you need to take more lessons. I presume it was the
former.

Safe is a mindset. I was safe from the first time I strapped in because
I listened to my instructor about safety and have an IQ greater than 4,
all the basics like give priority to those downhill of you, and
generally be aware of other people. That's enough to make you safe in
the early stages.

However, one day is not enough for most people to get competent enough
to be considered even a beginner. Most people say that the magic number
is three days of effort before you "get it" and can then ride.

Of course, snowboarding is a life-skill, you will always be able to
improve.

Did I go back for formal lessons after one day? No. Is that a good
thing? Dunno. What I do know is that I can ride at a basic level,
controlling myself on the hill and am able to have fun. I have a long
way to go. :-)

How long is a piece of string?

2 foot. Now what's the answer to my question ?

LOL!

I don't know - I play a bunch of squash and occasionally train in
martial arts, I expect I will manage the day no problem. A couple of my
mates consider walking to the bar sufficient exercise for the week - I
suspect that they will have an interesting time. The g/f does pilates
quite a bit so that should be interesting.

Snowboarding is a very physical activity. If they have trouble
rollerblading or mountainbiking or even kicking a football around, they
will have problems snowboarding. You use your entire body. That said, I
am not exactly Mr Fitness. I guess that doesn't help you much - it's a
tough one to guage.

--
David Peacock -

Old May 30th 06, 08:07 PM

Sean wrote:
In particular, this thread may interest you:
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphp...c-t-13059.html

Cool. I'll take a look later.

And I have. This is the forum I was reading yesterday. I tried to
register but that didn't work so I've mailed the admin people to see if
they can fix it. Looks like an interesting place.
Thanks.

Old June 1st 06, 09:07 AM

Sean wrote:
In particular, this thread may interest you:
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphp...c-t-13059.html

Cool. I'll take a look later.

And I have. This is the forum I was reading yesterday. I tried to
register but that didn't work so I've mailed the admin people to see if
they can fix it. Looks like an interesting place.
Thanks.

But sadly I'm not allowed to join Not even so much as a "Dear
Gertrude, get stuffed, signed the admins" email... ah well.

Old June 6th 06, 12:20 PM

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:32:19 GMT, allegedly
wrote:

I suspect that I'll post here in a few minutes with some dumb clothing
questions instead.

That's the point of this group: to post questions and discuss stuff. It's
was Usenet was invented for. :-)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail