Flying (on a plane!) with my new board

Old February 8th 06, 06:09 AM

Default Flying (on a plane!) with my new board

Hey All,

Just got my very first board and bindings to add to the boots I got last
season. I am off to Japan for 10 days of powder soon, so will need to
check my board in as luggage on the plane.

I have a Burton board sack, which the shop threw in for free. My friend
got the board and bindings in Canada and brought them over for me (I'm
in Hong Kong). The board seems to have survived the trip from Canada,
but I have a couple of questions.

Should I leave the bindings on, or take them off for traveling?

Since the bag is not padded, I was thinking of just wrapping the whole
board in bubble wrap (don't laugh!) inside the bag, and throwing my
pants, jacket and boots in too (as there is just about space). Is this a
really bad idea?

Advice would be appreciated

Steph
Old February 8th 06, 06:22 AM

Steph wrote:
Hey All,

Should I leave the bindings on, or take them off for traveling?

If you are only bringing one board, I would leave them on.

Since the bag is not padded, I was thinking of just wrapping the whole
board in bubble wrap (don't laugh!) inside the bag, and throwing my
pants, jacket and boots in too (as there is just about space). Is this a
really bad idea?

This is an excellent idea and what I usually do (both bubble wrapping
the nose/tail and wrapping my snowboarding clothing around the edges.

Have fun

Old February 8th 06, 08:28 AM

Steph wrote:
Hey All,

Just got my very first board and bindings to add to the boots I got
last season. I am off to Japan for 10 days of powder soon, so will
need to check my board in as luggage on the plane.

I have a Burton board sack, which the shop threw in for free. My
friend got the board and bindings in Canada and brought them over for
me (I'm in Hong Kong). The board seems to have survived the trip from
Canada, but I have a couple of questions.

Should I leave the bindings on, or take them off for traveling?

Since the bag is not padded, I was thinking of just wrapping the whole
board in bubble wrap (don't laugh!) inside the bag, and throwing my
pants, jacket and boots in too (as there is just about space). Is
this a really bad idea?

Advice would be appreciated

Steph

Check with the airline about putting clothing in with the board - Air Canada
are one who state that they only allow board/boots in the bag (seems to be
at discretion of check in staff though)

Old February 8th 06, 09:05 AM

Should I leave the bindings on, or take them off for traveling?
Since the bag is not padded, I was thinking of just wrapping the whole
board in bubble wrap

Take your bindings off and strap your boots in them with gloves inside.
Wrap your board in towels and all your padded clothes.

--
David Brown )

Old February 8th 06, 05:49 PM

If I'm traveling with one board, I leave the bindings on. I also have
some old t shirts and towels to wrap around the ends of the board.
Then I use jackets, pants, etc to pad it out and take up the space. I
don't know how heavy the bag is you are referring to, but it sounds
like it could be one of the real thin types. IF so, I'd get a heavier
bag that is better padded and more durable.

Old February 8th 06, 06:08 PM

Steph wrote:
Hey All,

Just got my very first board and bindings to add to the boots I got last
season. I am off to Japan for 10 days of powder soon, so will need to
check my board in as luggage on the plane.

I have a Burton board sack, which the shop threw in for free. My friend
got the board and bindings in Canada and brought them over for me (I'm
in Hong Kong). The board seems to have survived the trip from Canada,
but I have a couple of questions.

Should I leave the bindings on, or take them off for traveling?

Since the bag is not padded, I was thinking of just wrapping the whole
board in bubble wrap (don't laugh!) inside the bag, and throwing my
pants, jacket and boots in too (as there is just about space). Is this a
really bad idea?

Advice would be appreciated

Steph

I've only done this a few times but I just put mine in the bag as it is,
with the bindings on. Never had any problems. Snowboards can take a
pounding.

The only thing you really need to worry about is damage to the edges. If
your board gets hit hard enough to damage an edge (i.e. very hard
indeed), I don't think bubble wrap would make any difference.

Octes
Old February 8th 06, 06:22 PM

Octessence wrote:
The only thing you really need to worry about is damage to the edges. If
your board gets hit hard enough to damage an edge (i.e. very hard
indeed), I don't think bubble wrap would make any difference.

Octes

You DARE question the power of BUBBLE WRAP?!?!?!

But it's soooo fun to pop them!

Old February 8th 06, 08:17 PM

I get the black foam pipe insulation you can find at any hardware store
for about $2 for 6 feet, and slit it down the side and it more or less
snaps on to the rails of my snowboard in my Burton Gig Bag. the 3/4
inch diameter seems to work pretty well.

Also, on the chance that my big bag of gear and my snowboard don't
arrive together, I put a full set of clothes: jacket, pants, socks and
silks; in the gig bag with the board. That way I'm hooked up on the
first day regardless of whether one bag or the other doesn't show up on
time. Last year at Steamboat it was the snowboard bag, and the airline
gave me a voucher for a days' rental of everything and drove my stuff
out the next day when it finally showed.

Old February 8th 06, 08:48 PM

I just replied that this might be done with an old rubber hose. Insulation
would be great as well and most are already slit.

Stan.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I get the black foam pipe insulation you can find at any hardware store
for about $2 for 6 feet, and slit it down the side and it more or less
snaps on to the rails of my snowboard in my Burton Gig Bag. the 3/4
inch diameter seems to work pretty well.

Also, on the chance that my big bag of gear and my snowboard don't
arrive together, I put a full set of clothes: jacket, pants, socks and
silks; in the gig bag with the board. That way I'm hooked up on the
first day regardless of whether one bag or the other doesn't show up on
time. Last year at Steamboat it was the snowboard bag, and the airline
gave me a voucher for a days' rental of everything and drove my stuff
out the next day when it finally showed.

"Refugees" Refuse to Board Plane to Utah pigo Alpine Skiing 38 September 11th 05 04:41 AM
new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM