Who's here - any lurkers?

Old November 1st 05, 09:13 PM

I'm thinking of coming to SLC to ski this year since I can use my
frequent flyer miles still to get there from Dallas. I'm a low
intermediate snowboarder and my wife is a low intermediate skier.
We're comfortable, if a little nervous, with the easy blue runs at
Keystone for reference. We also have two boys, 6 and 9, that ski in
school when we go.

We're planning on coming for Mar 6-11, 2006. Any recommendations,
warnings of places to stay in the area and lodging choices? I was
thinking Park City, but the google feedback seems mostly negative for
boarding. I cruise around by the way, no terrain stuff.

David.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:29 AM
SB

I starting reading this group a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem to
active. Are there any lurkers around? Just wondering where people are from
and where you snowboard.

Canadian here, ride mostly in Quebec. Someone really needs to invent
transporters so I can pop over to the rockies in the morning and still be
home in time for dinner.

Things should pick up a bit on the newsgroup in the next few weeks. Several
major US resorts are already open, and several Canadian ones will be opening
this week and next. At the very least we'll be seeing more 'what board
should I buy' posts as people start shopping for new gear.

It's been a rainy last few weeks here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and
hoping that will translate into a snowy winter once temperatures drop
sufficiently.

- Steve
http://www.ridecanada.com

Old November 2nd 05, 11:59 AM
tg

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm thinking of coming to SLC to ski this year since I can use my
frequent flyer miles still to get there from Dallas. I'm a low
intermediate snowboarder and my wife is a low intermediate skier.
We're comfortable, if a little nervous, with the easy blue runs at
Keystone for reference. We also have two boys, 6 and 9, that ski in
school when we go.

We're planning on coming for Mar 6-11, 2006. Any recommendations,
warnings of places to stay in the area and lodging choices? I was
thinking Park City, but the google feedback seems mostly negative for
boarding. I cruise around by the way, no terrain stuff.

I think PC is great for boarding, go there several times a year and always
once with the family. There are a number of runs that you and your wife
would like at the Canyons (my preference) and Park City Resort. For
families, I would also highly recommend Snowbasin (about 45 min from SLC)
and Powder Mountain. Both tend to be less crowded with plenty of runs for
you to enjoy. Also less expensive and great ski/board schools for the kids.
Consider saving cost by staying near SLC and then you have an easy drive to
all of the resorts. Snowbird is one of my favorites, but you and you wife
might not like the terrain as much.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:56 PM
markus dolic

Octessence wrote:

I starting reading this group a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem to
active. Are there any lurkers around? Just wondering where people are
from and where you snowboard.

Yup, another lurker here, 25 and also from Germany. Snowboarding mostly
in Germany (south of Munich), Austria and sometimes in Italy.

P.S. my DONEK PHEONIX HAS ARRIVED woohoo. It arrived at work on Friday
when I was away so I haven't seen it yet.

Please go try it out and report here - i desperately need some
justification for ordering one myself
How long did it take to arrive? Any hassle with taxes, import duties
etc?

md
(btw, this is the first time i'm posting via google groups since my
regular news server doesn't have r.s.s., so please let me know if
there's anything wrong)
--
np: Muse - Megalomania
ICQ# 8140105

Old November 3rd 05, 08:03 AM
Switters

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:56:04 GMT, "markus dolic"
allegedly wrote:

(btw, this is the first time i'm posting via google groups since my
regular news server doesn't have r.s.s., so please let me know if
there's anything wrong)

Nothing really wrong, although if I were being pedantic...

--

....this line should be dash dash space "-- ", so decent newsreaders will
automatically strip the lines underneath. I don't think google groups

np: Muse - Megalomania

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old November 3rd 05, 11:18 PM
markus dolic

Switters wrote:

...this line should be dash dash space "-- ", so decent newsreaders will
automatically strip the lines underneath.

looks correct in the GG interface... well, at least now i know it
doesn't post exactly what i type :/

Old November 4th 05, 11:45 AM
Switters

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:18:34 GMT, "markus dolic"
allegedly wrote:

Switters wrote:

...this line should be dash dash space "-- ", so decent newsreaders

will
automatically strip the lines underneath.

looks correct in the GG interface... well, at least now i know it
doesn't post exactly what i type :/

You'd think they were in league with Microsoft or something :-)

Old November 6th 05, 07:41 PM
Octessence

Please go try it out and report here - i desperately need some
justification for ordering one myself
How long did it take to arrive? Any hassle with taxes, import duties
etc?

Will do when I've had a proper go on it.

No problems at all with delivery. Board took about 4 weeks from when I
first sent the order to when it arrived. No tax bills. Fedex got it to
my office really quickly too.

Octes

Old November 7th 05, 02:21 AM
Rick Wilson

Octessence wrote:
I starting reading this group a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem to
active. Are there any lurkers around? Just wondering where people are
from and where you snowboard.

I'm 28, from the UK but now live in Germany. I mostly board in Austria
and sometimes France. Probably get around 30-35 days in a season. Two
week trips and lots of weekends.

Octes.

P.S. my DONEK PHEONIX HAS ARRIVED woohoo. It arrived at work on Friday
when I was away so I haven't seen it yet.

There usually isn't much in the way of posts during the summer, but as
you've probably noticed in the last couple of days it has picked up
quite a bit.

I live in the worst place to be addicted to snowboarding - Tucson, AZ.
However, my friends and I all take roadtrips throughout the winter to
places such as Copper Mountain, CO and Snowbird, UT (the two that are
already planned for this winter) and the two "resorts" in northern Arizona.

Rick
Old November 15th 05, 09:17 PM
Mike T

I used to be a rather active poster in this group, until my news server
stopped carrying it for some unknown reason. Thought I'd stop by via
Google groups and say hello.

If any other old-timers want to get in touch, go to the forums at
www.bomberonline.com where I can be found under the same handle, Mike
T. Yep, I'm on hardboots most of the time now. I've also moved - I
now ride at Mount Bachelor, in fact if you drive there from Bend (as
opposed to Sunriver), you go right past my house.

My wife and I both have new Doneks coming soon too - a Phoneix 155 for
her and a FC 175 w/ Olympic construction for me. Can't wait!