Cheaper alternatives to Burton Custom?

Old December 16th 04, 07:18 AM
Jordi

Default Cheaper alternatives to Burton Custom?

Rode my friend's Burton Custom and loved the ride but hated the cost. Any
boards out there of similar build/material but which cost way less? My
budget is under $300. Thanks for any tips!

Old December 16th 04, 12:19 PM
Terje Johan Abrahamsen

"Jordi" wrote in message
. com...
Rode my friend's Burton Custom and loved the ride but hated the cost. Any
boards out there of similar build/material but which cost way less? My
budget is under $300. Thanks for any tips!

You get what you pay. In 99% of the time, the budgetboards have
budgetquality as well...

Old December 16th 04, 05:10 PM
Jordi

"Terje Johan Abrahamsen" wrote in message

"Jordi" wrote in message
. com...
Rode my friend's Burton Custom and loved the ride but hated the cost. Any
boards out there of similar build/material but which cost way less? My
budget is under $300. Thanks for any tips!

You get what you pay. In 99% of the time, the budgetboards have
budgetquality as well...

As in most cases, I think you're paying through the nose just for the name.
I really don't care too much about the name or the graphics even, just want
great performance. BTW is a $300 board considered a budget board?

Old December 16th 04, 05:35 PM
Jay

"Jordi" wrote in message
. com...
Rode my friend's Burton Custom and loved the ride but hated the cost. Any
boards out there of similar build/material but which cost way less? My
budget is under $300. Thanks for any tips!

Well I can't give you a definite answer but my guess is that there are a
number of good boards out there, you just need to find them. The reason I
and others buy Burton is because you know what you're getting. You pay extra
because of the name and because they have good customer service. I had to
get stuff replaced 3 times last winter and although it took a bit of
arm-twisting, they've not let me down yet. Some other suppliers just give
you the finger.

As for recommendations, one brand I've been recommended a few times is Gnu.
No experience myself but I met one guy who reckoned it (don't remember the
model) was the same as the Custom. Also a friend of mine used to ride Elan
boards and rates them quite highly. Elan have a huge factory making all
sorts of fibreglass stuff so I guess they know what they're doing. The
boards look well made but I can't vouch for how well they perform.

Jay.

Old December 16th 04, 05:40 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Jordi wrote:

BTW is a $300 board considered a budget board?

Mid-priced. The top-end boards from big manus like Burton and Ride are
$500 and up. You can get a low-end board for $150.

If you want high quality for under $300, look in the used market.

Donek Freerides (Incline/Wide/Sasquatch) are still the best bargain
around starting at $360. They're a different beast than the Custom though.

Neil

Old December 16th 04, 05:48 PM
Switters

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:10:07 GMT, "Jordi" allegedly
wrote:

BTW is a $300 board considered a budget board?

Tell us what board you can find for $300 and we'll tell you if it's good
or not. If you're on a budget, then buying second hand may be your best
bet for getting a decent board. Or stick with what you've got.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old December 16th 04, 05:49 PM
bri719

Jordi wrote:

As in most cases, I think you're paying through the nose just for the name.
I really don't care too much about the name or the graphics even, just want
great performance. BTW is a $300 board considered a budget board?

usually, yes....but you can usually find a board for less than it's
retail if you shop around or hunt for a "slightly used" one. if you
really love the Custom, try eBay or other classifieds to find one barely
used, or ask around. luckily since Burton is such a well known
manufacturer, there are plenty of them out there. that's the upside.

but try other similar boards and shop around. it can't hurt you (unless
you're dead set on that exact board).

good luck,
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old December 16th 04, 08:57 PM
Dmitry

"Jordi" wrote

Rode my friend's Burton Custom and loved the ride but hated the cost. Any boards out there of similar build/material but which
cost way less? My budget is under $300. Thanks for any tips!

Palmer Classic. A bit more freeride-oriented, a bit lighter, a bit stiffer
but still somewhat similar. I only tried 2002 model (the white/blue one).

Old December 17th 04, 11:58 PM
the[dot]philo[at]gmail[dot]com

I second the Gnu recommendation. Check out a Carbon High-Beam. You
should be able to get one new from last season at about your price
point. Brand new for the current season I believe is around $350-400.
My brother bought one, rides very well... I own a Custom, and the Gnu
is a little bit softer than the Custom but not by much. Many of the
other characteristics are similar.