Planned obsolescence?

Old November 22nd 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Planned obsolescence?

When I got the skis down from the garage attic to set them up for my
new/old boots, I took a look at one old pair with Look rotary heel and
"Sensor" toes. The toepieces were swinging around without constraint,
which I didn't remember them ever doing before. Then I noticed a big
metal spring lying on the floor, and THEN, I noticed that the toepiece
plastic shell had split in half (from the compression of the spring?),
and the missing parts were nowhere to be found.

Another thing I would rather not have known - when I took the bindings
off the skis, I saw that one of the screw holes had been originally
drilled about half a screw-width off, and a metal helicoil insert
installed to fix it.
Old November 22nd 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 22, 2:35*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
When I got the skis down from the garage attic to set them up for my
new/old boots, I took a look at one old pair with Look rotary heel and
"Sensor" toes. *The toepieces were swinging around without constraint,
which I didn't remember them ever doing before. *Then I noticed a big
metal spring lying on the floor, and THEN, I noticed that the toepiece
plastic shell had split in half (from the compression of the spring?),
and the missing parts were nowhere to be found.

Another thing I would rather not have known - when I took the bindings
off the skis, I saw that one of the screw holes had been originally
drilled about half a screw-width off, and a metal helicoil insert
installed to fix it.

Why are you posting this inane bull****? If you are going to waste
bandwidth, do so on your private terrorist newsgroup, rsa.moderated.
Or you could make things interesting and provide the contact info for
the SPD officer you claim to have contacted. You know, when you said
you had falsely accused me of threatening Dickless Baker's life?
What kind of pathetic fraud would brag about lying to the cops....but
never provide the name of the cop he lied to?
A pathetic, dickless coward who never lied to the cops in the first
place, methinks. Pussy enough to threaten to do so in the first
place, but even more Dickless Henry pppppuuuuuussssssyyyyy not to lie
to the cops at all, but talk **** as if he had.
How about Dickless Henry clears up all the confusion concerning what
he lied about. No doubt he lied, just curiosity about what lies he
told.
Contact info? Or admit it was just a big ppppppuuuuuussssssyyyy con
job in the first place.

ps: I was down in the Market yesterday. Stopped by the Original
Starbuck's and sang with a street busker for a while. Thought of how
much fun it would have been to meet you in person there, before you
ppppppuuuusssssiiiiiieeeeeddddd out and invented the EMERGENCY SOCCER
GAME!!!!!
Old November 22nd 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Answer to subject line: No, vicissitudes of time.

On 11/22/2010 05:35 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
When I got the skis down from the garage attic to set them up for my
new/old boots, I took a look at one old pair with Look rotary heel and
"Sensor" toes. The toepieces were swinging around without constraint,
which I didn't remember them ever doing before. Then I noticed a big
metal spring lying on the floor, and THEN, I noticed that the toepiece
plastic shell had split in half (from the compression of the spring?),
and the missing parts were nowhere to be found.

Plastic has a shelf life. Witness "exploding Nordica ski boots".
I once had a pair of Technicas do this to me. I worked the shop
at the Bear Mountain section of Killington for a year. We were
the broken equipment capital of the world. Broken bindings were
on display on a window sill in our shop. The most common were
Geze, ususally fairly new because they were crap to begin with.
Then, because Salomon had been around for so long and sold so
many, really old Salomons were next followed by Markers with an
occasional Look (because Look didn't start using plastic parts
until well along in its life.

Another thing I would rather not have known - when I took the bindings
off the skis, I saw that one of the screw holes had been originally
drilled about half a screw-width off, and a metal helicoil insert
installed to fix it.

Ah, helicoils, the savior of many a shop rat's ass. I'm sure
they are still in the tool kit of all shops today.
Old November 22nd 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Nov 22, 3:52*pm, VtSkier wrote:

Ah, helicoils, the savior of many a shop rat's ass. I'm sure
they are still in the tool kit of all shops today.

They came in handy when I'd pull a binding out of a ski.

Old November 22nd 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 11/22/2010 05:58 PM, pigo wrote:
On Nov 22, 3:52 pm, wrote:

Ah, helicoils, the savior of many a shop rat's ass. I'm sure
they are still in the tool kit of all shops today.

They came in handy when I'd pull a binding out of a ski.

That too, but for mis-aligned holes, which had to be drilled
out much larger than desired, they were the nuts!

Even if you used a drilling jig, you could still mis-align
a hole if you hurried too much.

In the early days of metal skis, it was fairly common to
pull a binding off especially if the skier was big and
aggressive. If we knew beforehand that this was a
possibility, we would either "T" nut through from the
base like snowboard bindings are done today, or, use
a flathead machine screw from the bottom and a nut
with LokTite on the top side. Did the latter for a
one-legged skier friend in the mid-60's. WWII vet from
the Airborne landing at Anzio. Huge, rugged. Couldn't
keep a (single) binding on his ski nor the ski tips
on his Canadian crutches. Drilled all the way through,
used a countersink on the base, mounted binding or
crutch and filled with p-tex. Worked like a charm.
Old November 23rd 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/22/10 2:52 PM, VtSkier wrote:

...because Salomon had been around for so long and sold so
many, really old Salomons were next...

years ago a common Salomon failure I saw was the tab that the boot heel
sole pushes on to latch the binding would break off - bindings would
usually still be good, but you had to hand latch the heel piece, just
like in the good old days of cable bindings. result was some decent free
bindings with moderate remaining value.
Old November 23rd 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/22/10 3:46 PM, VtSkier wrote:
WWII vet from
the Airborne landing at Anzio.

We lost one of our WWII vets last year - skied with him the spring
before (~88 yrs old) but he didn't turn up last fall - eventually his
son posted a notice in the locker room; Jack had contracted and died of
cancer over the summer. B17 pilot flying out of southern England. They
had a typical mission profile that took them over landmarks on the
European coast.

An advanced youth German guy is across the locker room - he flew
Luftwaffe fighters trying to shoot down those B17 flights. From known
mission dates the two determined they had definitely shot at each other
on several occasions.

I hope the German guy makes it back this fall - haven't seen him yet. I
miss Jack.
Old November 23rd 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Nov 22, 4:04*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
On 11/22/10 2:52 PM, VtSkier wrote:

...because Salomon had been around for so long and sold so
many, really old Salomons were next...

years ago a common Salomon failure I saw was the tab that the boot heel
sole pushes on to latch the binding would break off - bindings would
usually still be good, but you had to hand latch the heel piece, just
like in the good old days of cable bindings. result was some decent free
bindings with moderate remaining value.

My other really old pair of skis have a binding with that "feature".
They are Tyrolias.
Old November 23rd 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/22/10 14:35, Richard Henry wrote:

When I got the skis down from the garage attic to set them up for my
new/old boots, I took a look at one old pair with Look rotary heel and
"Sensor" toes. The toepieces were swinging around without constraint,
which I didn't remember them ever doing before. Then I noticed a big
metal spring lying on the floor, and THEN, I noticed that the toepiece
plastic shell had split in half (from the compression of the spring?),
and the missing parts were nowhere to be found.

Another thing I would rather not have known - when I took the bindings
off the skis, I saw that one of the screw holes had been originally
drilled about half a screw-width off, and a metal helicoil insert
installed to fix it.

Friend's GF bought brand new skis and bindings. When she got to the
hill she couldn't get one of them fastened. Turns out the shop had,
among other sins I guess, used screws too long and they pushed the base
away from the rest. Patroller managed to bash the boot into the binding
and the friend promised to ski slowly, and she got a new pair of skis
from the shop. She may never have used them again...

Dick's "expert" tried to remove one of my bindings with a regular
Phillips screwdriver. He didn't realize his error until I pointed out
the metal shavings he was creating. The place is right across the
street, but I won't even take FREE stuff from a place that dumb.

--
Cheers, Bev