Beginner - Starting off with soft boots?

Old January 21st 04, 09:13 AM
Guy Lux

Default Beginner - Starting off with soft boots?

Hi,

I don't really like skiing because I don't like being strapped into
the boots. I want to start snowboarding and wondered if it was a bad
idea to start snowboarding with soft boots.

Am I going to find it more difficult as a beginner?
Are soft boots likely to be easy to hire in Italy or will everything
be hard boot fitted? (tricky one, sorry)

Guy
Old January 21st 04, 01:44 PM
Baretta

I don't know of any snowboarders who do it without boots!

I think you'll find it even worse with snowboarding - you're strapped into
boots plus bindings plus they're in a fixed position so you wont be able to
move your legs or feet at all! And if you're read any posts from beginners -
be prepared to fall on your face, ass, back, hands, side ..... until one day
you finally figure it out.

Majority of snowboarding is done in softboots. Only the alpine boarders go
with the hard boots and narrower boards - but thats a whole different
category.

Old January 21st 04, 07:37 PM
Arvin Chang

(Guy Lux) wrote in message m...
I don't really like skiing because I don't like being strapped into
the boots. I want to start snowboarding and wondered if it was a bad
idea to start snowboarding with soft boots.

Am I going to find it more difficult as a beginner?
Are soft boots likely to be easy to hire in Italy or will everything
be hard boot fitted? (tricky one, sorry)

Guy

Hehe... well depends who you ask. Hardbooters will most likely say it
is easier to learn in hardboots and softbooters will probably say just
the opposite for slightly different reasons.

I just started riding hardboots after 9 years of softboots and I would
say that as a beginner, you will probably find softboots "easier" to
learn on (will explain more in a second). Note that easier does not
necessarily mean you will learn faster or that you won't like
hardboots eventually.

Here is my reasoning:

Hardboots are stiff, almost as stiff as ski boots. As such they are
somewhat uncomfortable to stand/walk in relative to softboots. Because
they are so stiff, they can be very uncomfortable if they don't fit
correctly (pressure points), especially if it is a cheap boot.
Supposedly high end boots will heat-moldable liners are extremely
comfortable, but I doubt you will be able to rent those.

Hardboots are more responsive that softboots, which can be good when
you know what you are doing. If not, you can easily quickly pressure
the wrong edge, catch it, and crash.

Think of it like having a very responsive car with super powerful
engine and quick handling, and strong brakes in that if you overturn
the wheel too much, oh hit the gas too hard, or slam on the brakes too
much - you are going to crash.

The flip side is that once you learn how to control this, you will be
much better off (assuming you don't quit from crashing too much). I
think this is a personal preference, but I would rather have a
beginner start on a more forgiving setup (although I can see the
reasoning behind the opposite viewpoint - having them learn it right
the first time). It is true that is is easier to carve on a hardboot
setup, so you will learn how to snowboard properly much more quickly
because a hardboot/alpine setup doesn't really let you skid/slide as
much as a softboot does... which is ok and easy starting out, but bad
form in general. It's like starting out learning to drive on an
underpowered minivan with very loose handling (forgiving)

Those that answer your question about it being "difficult"?

I haven't been to Italy, but my guess is you will actually find that
most places rent softboots (stepins w/internal hbs are still
technically soft). While Europe is more hardboot-specific, I believe
that the majority of gear is still softboot oriented (as far as I
know).

--Arvin
Old January 21st 04, 07:46 PM
Jürgen Schmadlak

Guy Lux wrote:

I don't really like skiing because I don't like being strapped into
the boots. I want to start snowboarding and wondered if it was a bad
idea to start snowboarding with soft boots.

I started boarding with softboots and still use softboots. I don't
like to walk like a Zombie so I don't like hardboots.

Am I going to find it more difficult as a beginner?

No. Some say that a beginner it is easier to step on to the Board
with hardboots. I do not agree with that. On ice or in deeper snow I
think it is easier to step in with softboots. Just my 2 ct.

Are soft boots likely to be easy to hire in Italy or will everything
be hard boot fitted? (tricky one, sorry)

In Austria and Germany you can rent hard- or softboots. It's up to
you. So I think you also can rent softboots in Italy.

Have a lot of fun.

--
Satisfy your thirst for life!
NP: Human League - Being Boiled
Old January 21st 04, 11:29 PM
Mike T

I just started riding hardboots after 9 years of softboots and I would
say that as a beginner, you will probably find softboots "easier" to
learn on (will explain more in a second). Note that easier does not
necessarily mean you will learn faster or that you won't like
hardboots eventually.

I skied first, then got into snowboarding on soft boots, then several
years later tried hard boots, and now do both hard and soft...

... and I agree with Arvin, start on soft. It's easier sideslip, which
in turn makes it easier to get yourself out of trouble if you wind up on
a slope that's too steep for you.

Mike T

Old January 22nd 04, 04:00 PM
Chet Hayes

Also keep in mind that with soft boots, there is still a range of
stiffness among the various choices. For example, I have Van Contras
which is one of their stiffest soft boots.
Old January 22nd 04, 07:14 PM
Jürgen Schmadlak

Baka Dasai wrote:

I started boarding with softboots and still use softboots. I don't
like to walk like a Zombie so I don't like hardboots.

Walking style is definitely the most important thing when it comes to
snowboarding. Don't let anybody tell you any different! I choose
all my equipment based on how it is for walking.

Ok, next time I add some ":-)". I never found a hardboot in which I
feel comfortably. Maybe I have abnormal feet.

--
Satisfy your thirst for life!
NP: No Doubt - Hey Baby
Old January 22nd 04, 07:45 PM
Mike T

Ok, next time I add some ":-)". I never found a hardboot in which I
feel comfortably. Maybe I have abnormal feet.

Many people need a footbed and a thermoflex liner to make their hard
boots comfortable... heck, those tricks work on soft boots too!