Where to go for beginners and has a good night life?

Old July 3rd 05, 09:38 AM
Matthias van Leeuwen

"Alastair" wrote:

Hi all,

Basically as the title says.

I have been snowboarding for 5 years now, been to Cham + Val before
with my friends. This time I am looking to try and get my girlfriend
into winter holidays.

She doesn't like the idea of snowboarding as her balance isn't all that
good, so I am considering taking lessons with her skiing (even although
I have tried it and personally I don't think it is anywhere near as
good as snowboarding) to help talk her into going.

I am looking for somewhere that has the nightlife in comparison to
Cham, but in terms of the slopes it doesn't need to be challenging as
we will both be taking lessons. The location will have to be Europe (as
US & Canada out of budget). France would be preferable so I can
practice my french, but not totally essential.

Will hopefully be going in the new year (as I know Snow isn't
guaranteed, but I went to Val one year right after new year and the
snow was immense!).

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated

Alastair

Hi Alistair,

My recommendation would be to go to Austria. There are lot of good places
even if you want to do lessons and it is a lot cheaper than France in any
case, i.e. lift tickets, dinner, drinks, etc.
Flying from UK to Austria van be done via Munich or Innsbruck. If I remeber
easyJet, Ryan Air and some other UK based airlines flying daily to these
destination during the winter schedule.
Last but not least snow conditions are much better at the northern ridge of
the alps during the winter. The south-western ridge has often only one or
two huge snow falls during the season.
Every Austrian ski location has a lot of clubbing possibilities, it's
traditionally.....

Places to be:
- Arlberg Valley (St. Anton, St. Jacob, etc.)
- Serfaus Fiss Ladis (one vally - three possibilities)
- Obertauern (flying via city of Salzburg)
- Saalbach-Hinterglemm
- Kitzbühel (more expensive but lovely)
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl
- Sölden (glacier combined with normal slopes)
- Stubai Valley (glacier - 360 days open)
- Hintertux (glacier - 360 days open)
- Ischgl (clubbing like the hell - fantastic ski area together with Suisse)

Cheerio, Matthias