Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack???

Old January 12th 04, 09:12 PM
John Davison

Default Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack???

I've been thinking about buying a hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack.
How does the hitch mounted rack compare to a roof mounted rack? I
would assume that a hitch mounted rack creates less drag and wind
noise?

With a hitch mounted rack, it appears that you can not open your
hatch-back (I have a GMC Yukon) with the rack in place. Are there any
hitch mounted racks that move so you can open your hatch-back?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-- John
Old January 12th 04, 09:20 PM
Chester Bullock

John Davison wrote:

I've been thinking about buying a hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack.
How does the hitch mounted rack compare to a roof mounted rack? I
would assume that a hitch mounted rack creates less drag and wind
noise?

With a hitch mounted rack, it appears that you can not open your
hatch-back (I have a GMC Yukon) with the rack in place. Are there any
hitch mounted racks that move so you can open your hatch-back?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-- John

Go to http://www.rackattack.com - pretty good explanations there. I
have bought two racks from them and been pleased with both. One roof
mount for the wife's car, one spare tire mount for my Jeep.
----------------------
Chester,
The more you know, the more jokes you get.
Old January 12th 04, 11:16 PM
Chester Bullock

Bruno Melli wrote:

If you are thinking about hitch mounted racks that hold the skis vertically,
check that you have enough clearance to pull into your garage with
the skis on the rack.
Even with the best of intentions, there is no telling what you'll be thinking
about when you get home all stressed out from driving I-70.

This is of course pure speculation. Such an incident would never
happen to me :-)

bruno.

Also a factor pulling into the parking garage at Vail...

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247
Old January 12th 04, 11:19 PM
lal_truckee

Chester Bullock wrote:

Bruno Melli wrote:

If you are thinking about hitch mounted racks that hold the skis
vertically,
check that you have enough clearance to pull into your garage with the
skis on the rack.
Even with the best of intentions, there is no telling what you'll be
thinking
about when you get home all stressed out from driving I-70.

This is of course pure speculation. Such an incident would never
happen to me :-)

bruno.

Also a factor pulling into the parking garage at Vail...

Skis are important - keep them inside the vehicle; strap the kids on the
roof, if you must...

Old January 13th 04, 12:09 AM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Chester Bullock wrote:
Also a factor pulling into the parking garage at Vail...

And therefore, not a factor.

Skiing and driving don't mix.

-klaus

Old January 13th 04, 07:21 AM
BillM

I just got back from Whistler and could not park in the underground hotel
parking lot without taking off the roof mounted ski box. The clearance was
6'8", and I was just barely over that with the Thule.
The same night somebody pulled in with their roof box on and broke a water
pipe in the garage, which set off the alarm in the hotel.
Make sure whatever you get it's 6'5" or under.

BillM

Old January 13th 04, 01:41 PM
Mary Malmros

"BillM" writes:

I just got back from Whistler and could not park in the underground hotel
parking lot without taking off the roof mounted ski box. The clearance was
6'8", and I was just barely over that with the Thule.
The same night somebody pulled in with their roof box on and broke a water
pipe in the garage, which set off the alarm in the hotel.
Make sure whatever you get it's 6'5" or under.

Jeez. I'd not have thought that the typical parking garage in a ski
area would be this restricted. Don't they see a lot of SUVs with
boxes on top?

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old January 14th 04, 07:15 PM
Leon

"John Davison"
om...
I've been thinking about buying a hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack.
How does the hitch mounted rack compare to a roof mounted rack? I
would assume that a hitch mounted rack creates less drag and wind
noise?

With a hitch mounted rack, it appears that you can not open your
hatch-back (I have a GMC Yukon) with the rack in place. Are there any
hitch mounted racks that move so you can open your hatch-back?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-- John

I would never put my board on a rack mounted anywhere outside of a car. I
like my board to be clean and will definitely get mud or salt from the road
if it is mounted on the roof, back or hood. Just my 2 bits.

Bye,
Leon

Old January 14th 04, 07:20 PM
Ed Pauls

John Davison wrote:

I've been thinking about buying a hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack.
How does the hitch mounted rack compare to a roof mounted rack? I
would assume that a hitch mounted rack creates less drag and wind
noise?

With a hitch mounted rack, it appears that you can not open your
hatch-back (I have a GMC Yukon) with the rack in place. Are there any
hitch mounted racks that move so you can open your hatch-back?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your skis will get a a salt water bath if you carry them behind the
car on a salted road. A top rack gets much less salt. A ski box is
best....skis get no salt and you can carry lots of other junk up
there.

Good Ol' Ed