Driving through Basel

Old January 2nd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Driving through Basel

Got back from hols today - drove back from Zurich airport and can
report that the new tunnel connecting the motorway directly through
from the French motorway border crossing onto the pre-existing network
is now open, so for anyone driving down this way to the alps it's good
news.

Bad news is that the roadworks on the other side of town, between
Basel and Pratteln (and hence the turn-off towards Luzern, Bern etc.)
are still going strong, so delays should still be expected at peak
times.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 3rd 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Memascii

On Jan 2, 11:24 pm, Ace wrote:
Bad news is that the roadworks on the other side of town, between
Basel and Pratteln

They've also put a new speed camera on the A1 (well it's
been there a couple of months at least I guess). Driving
Basel-Bern, join the A1 from the A2 camera is on a gantry
after a couple of km. I think it is just after a big
Migros (warehouse?) on the right hand side. Not sure if
there is one facing the other way too. Caught me out in
the dark. I thought I was barely speeding but it turns
out the missus's speedo isn't as optimistic as I assumed.

Cheers.
Iain.

Old January 4th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Olympiad

"Ace" wrote in message
Got back from hols today - drove back from Zurich airport and can
report that the new tunnel connecting the motorway directly through
from the French motorway border crossing onto the pre-existing network
is now open, so for anyone driving down this way to the alps it's good
news.

That'll be good news for me heading to Grindelwald from the french side of
Basel airport, but I'm guessing my cunning plan of borrowing a friends sat
nav to make sure I return to the correct side of the airport will be
scuppered by the new road.

Old January 5th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:14:00 -0000, "Olympiad" wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
Got back from hols today - drove back from Zurich airport and can
report that the new tunnel connecting the motorway directly through
from the French motorway border crossing onto the pre-existing network
is now open, so for anyone driving down this way to the alps it's good
news.

That'll be good news for me heading to Grindelwald from the french side of
Basel airport, but I'm guessing my cunning plan of borrowing a friends sat
nav to make sure I return to the correct side of the airport will be
scuppered by the new road.

It's a lot easier to find the French side than the Swiss. Just follow
the motorway all the way through the border into France and take the
second exit once in France. Just be sure to avoid signs for the
airport until you've crossed the border. It'll be a doddle.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)