Cleaning hydration reservoir/Keeping from freezing

Old January 3rd 05, 05:13 PM
Eric

Default Cleaning hydration reservoir/Keeping from freezing

Does anyone have a clever way to "air dry" a hydration reservoir? I
always have water trapped in the reservoir, no matter how much hand
drying I do.

Also, has anyone had problems with the water in the exposed part of the
tube connected to the reservoir freezing? If so, any solutions to this
problem?

Thanks

Eric

Old January 3rd 05, 05:39 PM
Mike T

Does anyone have a clever way to "air dry" a hydration reservoir? I
always have water trapped in the reservoir, no matter how much hand
drying I do.

I just stick mine in the freezer, so that leftover water does not
contaminate the bladder. Not a perfect solution but works pretty well.
Every now and again I clean it out w/ baking soda and let it dry in the sun.

Also, has anyone had problems with the water in the exposed part of the
tube connected to the reservoir freezing? If so, any solutions to this
problem?

Blow the water back into the reservoir after you take a drink. I also make
sure I take a drink every time up the lift even if it's a small one. Even
that doesn't seem to help when it gets below 10 or 15 F, but that's so rare
in the NW US where I am that I just deal...

Mike T

Old January 4th 05, 12:17 PM
Switters

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:13:46 GMT, "Eric" allegedly
wrote:

Does anyone have a clever way to "air dry" a hydration reservoir? I
always have water trapped in the reservoir, no matter how much hand
drying I do.

I just let it dry naturally, and then soak it in a cleansing solution,
like parents use on baby bottles, after a big trip.

Also, has anyone had problems with the water in the exposed part of the
tube connected to the reservoir freezing? If so, any solutions to this
problem?

As Mike said, try to blow the water back out the tube. Doesn't always
work though.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 4th 05, 04:53 PM
Bruce Chang

"Eric" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have a clever way to "air dry" a hydration reservoir? I
always have water trapped in the reservoir, no matter how much hand
drying I do.

Also, has anyone had problems with the water in the exposed part of the
tube connected to the reservoir freezing? If so, any solutions to this
problem?

Thanks

Eric

I've always carried my camelpack under my jacket, it keeps it warm enough
that it won't freeze and the ice in it keeps it cool enough that it's
refreshing to drink. It's kind of awkward at first cause you'll look like a
hunchback when it's full but about an hour into the day, you'll have drunk
enough that it starts to flatten out enough.

Like the others have said, try to let the water back down the tube back into
the bladder. I just squeeze the nipple between my teeth with my mouth open
and the siphon effect sucks the water back.

-Bruce

Old January 4th 05, 05:03 PM
Mike T

I've always carried my camelpack under my jacket, it keeps it warm enough
that it won't freeze and the ice in it keeps it cool enough that it's
refreshing to drink. It's kind of awkward at first cause you'll look like
a hunchback when it's full but about an hour into the day, you'll have
drunk enough that it starts to flatten out enough.

Works great unless you have a Blowfish or other large pack stuffed to
capacity!

Mike T

Old January 4th 05, 05:04 PM
Chris J.

"Eric" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have a clever way to "air dry" a hydration reservoir? I
always have water trapped in the reservoir, no matter how much hand
drying I do.

You can buy or make something like this:
http://richardsbicycles.com/site/ite...55&affiliate=2

I also let it dry with a paper towel inside, which soaks up the last few
drops pretty well.

Also, has anyone had problems with the water in the exposed part of the
tube connected to the reservoir freezing? If so, any solutions to this
problem?

Thanks

Eric

Chris

Old January 4th 05, 08:19 PM
todd

Eric wrote:
Does anyone have a clever way to "air dry" a hydration reservoir? I
always have water trapped in the reservoir, no matter how much hand
drying I do.

Also, has anyone had problems with the water in the exposed part of

the
tube connected to the reservoir freezing? If so, any solutions to

this
problem?

Thanks

Eric

As someone said, just keep it under your shell and nothing will freeze.
Even with the insulation on the hose it will freeze quickly if left
outside
your coat.

Regarding growth, I don't get much now that I always fill it with tap
(city)
water. Skip the bottled or filtered water. The minimal amount of
chlorine
that is in your tap water will keep the bag from getting funky.
Actually,
I tend to leave it full between uses and if anything just change the
water
before a trip. I'll clean it a couple times a season, but really don't
have issues with it. I would think that blowing water/air back into
the
bag would contribute to mildew/germs as you are throwing saliva and
such
in there with it IMO.

..02

Old January 4th 05, 09:39 PM
Eric

All,
Thanks for the great tips.

Mike T wrote:
Blow the water back into the reservoir after you take a drink...

Somehow I think I should have thought of this earlier. This will most
likely work. It's typically 10 - 20 degrees where I board. I don't
have problems with the nipple freezing, just the hose, and it seems to
be pretty easy to blow the water back down.

Bruce Change wrote:
...the siphon effect sucks the water back

Ditto

Bruce Change wrote:
I've always carried my camelpack under my jacket...

As Mike T mentioned, I do have a rather large pack (Camelbak Rim
Runner?), and I usually have my stuff and my wife's. I'd look like
Quasimodo or something if I put it under my jacket Nothing but the
hose freezes, so, maybe I could find a way to get the hose under my
jacket with minimal hose exposure...

Chris J. Wrote:
You can buy or make something like this: link...
I also let it dry with a paper towel inside...

Both of these are good ideas. I'll give them a try, maybe a dishtowel
instead of paper towels.

todd wrote:
Regarding growth, I don't get much now that I always fill it with tap

(city) water...

Yeah, we have good water here in CO. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much.
Thanks again,
Eric