Family Ski holidays with baby facilities

Old February 5th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Family Ski holidays with baby facilities

On 4 Feb, 18:55, Pip Luscher
wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:23:53 -0000, "Paul"
wrote:

Mark Warner have a nanny service for 4months+ and have places in both
Courchevel (1850) and Meribel. They will look after the offspring from 09:00
to 17:30 (and do baby listening au soir too) if you want. Not, of course,
cheap.

Well it turned out that Herself couldn't make the first week of March
after all. We've booked Courchevel with Esprit; Mark Warner were the
other main choice but only had a place in Val d'Isere, which from dim
and distant memory isn't so good for nervous progressive skiers.

Now the big decision: take board or skis? I'm kind of hankering for a
new snowboard but perhaps I ought to rent a modern one and see how I
get on with it.

--
-Pip

For no particular reason I've ended up boarding a lot more than I've
skied this season. I think maybe I've plateaued with my skiing and
it'll take a lot of expensive instruction to get better, whilst I'm
enjoying the feeling of getting better quickly on a board for the cost
of a private lesson every few weeks.

Biggest change certainly came after I gave up borrowing sh1tty rental
boards from my mates and got my own kit - Last season's Burton Air
with Cartel bindings - really stable and controlable. I think you'll
notice the difference with the new bindings more than you will with
the new boards. If you can find one in resort, you could try out a new
'mini' as well. They've been flying off the shelves this season, and
my instructor hasn't stopped raving about them. Got a good rise from
him when we compared them to snowblades. heh heh.

Matt
Old February 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 02:45:58 -0800 (PST), Matt T
wrote:

For no particular reason I've ended up boarding a lot more than I've
skied this season. I think maybe I've plateaued with my skiing and
it'll take a lot of expensive instruction to get better, whilst I'm
enjoying the feeling of getting better quickly on a board for the cost
of a private lesson every few weeks.

Well, I've got back to where I was a couple of years ago when I skied
with Ace. On the one hand I don't want to throw away my recent
progress, on the other hand I want to do a decent amount of
snowboarding. Ther just aren't enough weeks.

Logically I ought to take the skis, rent a board for a couple of days
and wait for the end-of-season sales before buying.

Biggest change certainly came after I gave up borrowing sh1tty rental
boards from my mates and got my own kit - Last season's Burton Air
with Cartel bindings - really stable and controlable.

Talking of bindings, can you or anyone else here tell me how easy they
are to adjust the foot angle of on the mountain? I once saw a step-in
binding that had a second lever that allowed the foot angle to be
adjusted very easily, so one could set it up for playing around,
riding switch etc, then readjust for cruising back down the slopes in
comfort - ISTR finding it a bit easier to schuss if the feet are set
slightly more in-line with the board. I've never seen one since, so
either it was unreliable or maybe people don't feel the need for them.
Seemed a good idea to me, though.

--
-Pip
Old February 5th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:22:14 -0000, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

As a suggestion for anyone visiting Zermatt and requiring crèche facilities
for babies and young children I can recommend Kinderparadies. I have used
them several times. They were always thoroughly reliable, and my little girl
loved it.
http://www.kinderparadies-zermatt.ch/

I'll bear in mind for future reference. I still haven't done Zermatt
properly.

Thanks to all who replied.
--
-Pip
Old February 6th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Memascii

On Feb 5, 10:41 pm, Pip Luscher
wrote:

snip

Talking of bindings, can you or anyone else here tell me how easy they
are to adjust the foot angle of on the mountain? I once saw a step-in
binding that had a second lever that allowed the foot angle to be
adjusted very easily, so one could set it up for playing around,

I seem to remember seeing some Flow Amp bindings
like this a few years ago. I think they were special
rental bindings, but I guess it could be that the
adjustable baseplates were some aftermarket part and
nothing to do with Flow.

Adjusting the bindings normally only takes a few
minutes with a screwdriver, but it's not something
you'd want to be doing several times a day. I'd find
a stance you're comfortable with and just learn to
live with it in different situations.

With regards to childcare, we took my parents (65 and
70) away thinking they'd be more than happy to provide
childcare, but they decided they wanted to learn to
ski. Bloody selfish some people :-)

Iain.
Old February 6th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:41:59 GMT, Pip Luscher
allegedly wrote:

Talking of bindings, can you or anyone else here tell me how easy they
are to adjust the foot angle of on the mountain? I once saw a step-in
binding that had a second lever that allowed the foot angle to be
adjusted very easily, so one could set it up for playing around,

A friend of mine had these on a hired board a few years back, and
subsequently, I've only ever seen them in hire shops, on hire boards.

I don't like them. My mate spent as much time fiddling with the
bindings than he did riding the damn thing (so it seemed to me anyway).
I can't help feeling that it actually hindered his progression, because
rather than adapting to the setup and getting on with it, he was
changing things all the time, and having to apapt to something different
each time.

Also, they are very heavy.

riding switch etc, then readjust for cruising back down the slopes in

Learn to ride switch with the settings you normally go for. The times
when you might need (as opposed to want) to ride switch, you're not
going to have the luxury of being able to stop, change the bindings and
get going again.

comfort - ISTR finding it a bit easier to schuss if the feet are set
slightly more in-line with the board.

Again, learn to scoot along as they are. Imagine stopping, rotating the
foot to 90deg, then scoot along, get to a downhill, then you've got to
stop and rotate back, before setting off again. Rather than getting to
the downhill, stepping in on the back and riding away.

If the scooting is uncomfortable on your front knee, try swapping sides
for the back leg, i.e. if you normally push beside the toe edge, try
pushing beside the heel edge.

What angles are you using at the moment?
Old February 6th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

wrote:

Well, I've got back to where I was a couple of years ago when I skied
with Ace. On the one hand I don't want to throw away my recent
progress, on the other hand I want to do a decent amount of
snowboarding. Ther just aren't enough weeks.

Tell me about it - I live out here and even I don't get enough time.
It's picking the days that really gets me - really good conditions to
learn powder crop up a handful of times each winter so trying to learn
them for board and ski I find pretty difficult. (boo hoo, and my
diamond-encrusted ski-boots are too tight)

Logically I ought to take the skis, rent a board for a couple of days
and wait for the end-of-season sales before buying.

That's what I did, but it's taking a risk if you're a popular length
in a popular board. Even at this stage of the winter you can probably
negotiate a decent price - an awful lot of stock gets sold in November/
December and by the end of Feb all the techs will be poring over the
2008/2009 catalogues to get that Burton jacket before the snow melts.

Biggest change certainly came after I gave up borrowing sh1tty rental
boards from my mates and got my own kit - Last season's Burton Air
with Cartel bindings - really stable and controlable.

Talking of bindings, can you or anyone else here tell me how easy they
are to adjust the foot angle of on the mountain? I once saw a step-in
binding that had a second lever that allowed the foot angle to be
adjusted very easily, so one could set it up for playing around,
riding switch etc, then readjust for cruising back down the slopes in
comfort - ISTR finding it a bit easier to schuss if the feet are set
slightly more in-line with the board. I've never seen one since, so
either it was unreliable or maybe people don't feel the need for them.
Seemed a good idea to me, though.

--
-Pip

Yeah, I don't like them personally - too heavy and, I hear, more prone
to breaking. I can adjust my bindings in about a minute on piste with
a boarding tool (loosen three screws on each plate, adjust and re-
tighten) but I agree that the best thing to do is get a good stance
and then stick with it regardless. Shoulder-width and slightly duck (I
think I'm +12 front and -10 back) should let you ride switch and flats
pretty well.

Equally important is to keep your shoulders in line with the board so
if you're schussing you should never be facing down the hill - keep
your body at 90 degrees to it with just your head turned down hill
over your shoulder and the board will be less likely to come around
and catch an edge. One of the best tips I got was to point at the toes
of your front foot with your front hand, and at the heel of your back
foot with your back hand. Keep them like that all the time and you'll
hardly ever 'block' your toe-edge turn due to bad upper-body position.
Works with switch as well, but you have to remember to move your
hands!

Cheers,

Matt

Old February 6th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 04:05:22 -0800 (PST), in
,
Matt T wrote:

wrote:

Well, I've got back to where I was a couple of years ago when I skied
with Ace. On the one hand I don't want to throw away my recent
progress, on the other hand I want to do a decent amount of
snowboarding. Ther just aren't enough weeks.

Tell me about it - I live out here and even I don't get enough time.
It's picking the days that really gets me - really good conditions to
learn powder crop up a handful of times each winter so trying to learn
them for board and ski I find pretty difficult.

What you've clearly failed to appreciate is that you don't need powder
to learn to ski powder. Mostly it's just the same things you do
on-piste, but there are several techniques that can prove invaluable
in powder which can be learnt and practiced to your heart's content in
any conditions. (Equally, of course, there are 'techniques' which may
work on- but will have you on your back in no time, off-piste.)

(boo hoo, and my diamond-encrusted ski-boots are too tight)

Heh. I'm up to countsgives up counting oh, at least 30 days skiing
so far this season, with probably six or seven of those in decent
fresh powder. Off for a (free) week at a 4* hotel in Davos next week
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/ski...HolidayID=1601
Life's tough, eh?

Old February 6th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 6 Feb, 12:32, Ace wrote:
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 04:05:22 -0800 (PST), in
,

Matt T wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right of course, but there's nothing like trying it
out for real when it's up to your waist and there's not a cloud in the
sky.

(boo hoo, and my diamond-encrusted ski-boots are too tight)

Heh. I'm up to countsgives up counting oh, at least 30 days skiing
so far this season, with probably six or seven of those in decent
fresh powder. Off for a (free) week at a 4* hotel in Davos next weekhttp://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skifreshtracks/holiday.asp?intHolida...
Life's tough, eh?

Yup, sucks big time. I mean, I had to queue for at least 20 seconds at
a lift this morning. Bloody February...

Old February 6th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 05:12:24 -0800 (PST), in
,

Matt T wrote:

(boo hoo, and my diamond-encrusted ski-boots are too tight)

Heh. I'm up to countsgives up counting oh, at least 30 days skiing
so far this season, with probably six or seven of those in decent
fresh powder. Off for a (free) week at a 4* hotel in Davos next weekhttp://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skifreshtracks/holiday.asp?intHolida...
Life's tough, eh?

Yup, sucks big time. I mean, I had to queue for at least 20 seconds at
a lift this morning. Bloody February...

But you were back and posting by 11:40; not much of a day's skiing...

I actually queued for a good five minutes or so on Sunday. Bloody
Fasnacht.

Old February 6th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Matt T wrote:
(boo hoo, and my diamond-encrusted ski-boots are too tight)

Heh. I'm up to countsgives up counting oh, at least 30 days skiing
so far this season, with probably six or seven of those in decent
fresh powder. Off for a (free) week at a 4* hotel in Davos next weekhttp://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skifreshtracks/holiday.asp?intHolida...
Life's tough, eh?

Yup, sucks big time. I mean, I had to queue for at least 20 seconds at
a lift this morning. Bloody February...

But you were back and posting by 11:40; not much of a day's skiing...

11.40 UK time - had to relieve the nanny!

I actually queued for a good five minutes or so on Sunday. Bloody
Fasnacht.

Roll on mars...