On route Hotels

Old January 11th 05, 07:33 PM
Abairsty

Default On route Hotels

Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5 hours from
calais.
Many thanks
Old January 11th 05, 10:34 PM
Dominique Foucart

Abairsty a exposé le 11/01/2005 :
Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5 hours
from calais.
Many thanks

Your best choices will be around Dijon.

We stayed at the "Hotel des Ducs", excellent location if you want to
spent 2-3 hours visiting Dijon.

If you just want to stop over, there are two Campanille
(www.campanille.fr)? that are both affordables and conveniently located
near the highways.

Best Regards,

Dominique

--
Dominique Foucart
Site for hiking trails in Giffre Valley:

Old January 11th 05, 10:55 PM
Steve Haigh

Abairsty wrote:

Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5 hours from
calais.
Many thanks

I've always done it in one push - have you considered that? Once you get
going on the Autoroutes it's not as bad as you might think, much less
tiring than British motorways I find. Might not work for you, depends on
how far you have to go to get to the port I guess.

Reims is a nice place with plenty of hotels, but it's probably too far
north. Dijon may work though, there should be a good selection there.

Have a look on the michelin map site (www.viamichelin.com I think, it is
*not* www.michelin.com), it's got a really good route planner and will
suggest hotels en route.
Old January 11th 05, 11:09 PM
Séan

Try
http://www.hotel-bb.com/

I used them last year and I cannot fault them for the money..

Room for 4 was 46 euros in Lyon...
They have many hotels on the Alpes route....

This one
http://www.hotel-bb.com/detailhotels.phtml?NumLangue=2&id=&source=google|b &numrecord=&hotelid=4287&NumRegion=11

might be suitable.. have a look at the map on that page...

You can use AA routefinder to gauge the distance and driving time from
Calais..

Good Luck...

Old January 12th 05, 02:55 AM
mutley

"Abairsty" wrote in message
Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5 hours

from
calais.
Many thanks

If you are looking for budget places to crash out for a night, the Formule1
chain is worth a try, or the Etap chain is one rung up the quality ladder.
Both have websites with maps of locations, and can be booked on-line. The
downside is that they are sometimes on industrial estates or nowhere near
other facilities.
HTH
regards,
Richard

Old January 12th 05, 07:19 AM
PG

"Abairsty" wrote in message
| Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
| Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5
hours from
| calais.
| Many thanks

No good for Avoriaz, but on the subject of overnight stops, we do Fri,
Sat & Sun B&B in Bourg St Maurice, handy for anyone travelling a day
early or late to or from the upper Tarentaise resorts -Les Arcs/La
Plagne/Tigne/Val/La Ros/Ste Foy. See -
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/bnb.htm

Pete

Old January 12th 05, 08:29 AM

We found a hotel using http://www.france-hotel-bookings.com/.

I made a booking and even had a follow up phone call to confirm which
was excellent.

Old January 12th 05, 09:24 AM
David Brown :o\)

Cheap and Cheerful
http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule...e/france.shtml

--
kitemap

Old January 12th 05, 05:58 PM
Roy

"Abairsty" wrote in message
Driving down to Avoriaz(from Calais) later in the season.
Any help on suitable places for an over night Hotel stop..approx 4-5 hours

from
calais.
Many thanks

We night-stopped in Troyes - but that was after a long UK leg plus using the
ferry from Dover. Dijon is a much better idea if you must, or particularly
want to, break up the journey. I have driven to the Megeve / Chamonix area
a few times now and have no qualms about doing it in one, especially after
using the tunnel - it is so smooth, fast and convenient that it is well
worth the extra money. Having said that, if you book well in advance it
costs pretty much the same as the ferry.

Roy