Colorado Skiing advice requested

Old January 18th 06, 01:25 AM

Default Colorado Skiing advice requested

You have few options.
Go to Eldora up Boulder canyon, definately the closest option and just stay
in Longmont. It is a good area to learn to tele. Not as large as the other
areas but not too important when learning. And the bonus is the nordic area
is right there. The trails are tougher than the other areas, more narrow and
few flats. They will be able to rent all your nordic needs. I would call
ahead to confirm a tele package, but you can pick that up in numerous shops
in Boulder.
Summit County, about 2 hrs from Longmont, depending on traffic.
Frisco Nordic center is located near to 4 downhill areas. Copper,
Breckenridge, Keystone, and A-Basin. All of these are good tele areas. I
would recommend Copper for first timers due to amount of beginner slopes and
they keep you away from intermediates and experts. You can stay in Dillon or
Frisco pretty cheap.
Fraser Valley has two nordic areas, About 2 hrs from Longmont, traffic
dependent. Snow Mtn Ranch and the beautiful Devil's Thumb Ranch. Both are
located near Winter Park/Mary Jane and Solvista downhill areas. Find cheap
lodging in Fraser or stay at snow mtn ranch for cheap no frills lodging.
Great snow everywhere here in Colorado, at least in these areas.
Andy
wrote in message

I will be going there in mid March.

Want to try to tele skiing and xc (skate
and classic).

The friend I am meeting lives in Longmont
(~30 minutes from Boulder).

My friend will need to rent his XC stuff,
so it needs to be a full center for that.

I suck at Tele skiing, so I need easy intermediate
trails.

What is a good place for intermediate tele
skiing, with a good XC place close by?

Will most place be likely to have good conditions
at that time of year?

We will stay in a hotel, but probably want to
stay in the same place for the whole trip (three
full days of skiing).

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)

Old January 18th 06, 08:22 PM

Hi - I have been to Snow Mountain, Devil's Thumb and Eldora recently
and concur with Andy on your choices, but it is no contest, with my
personal order as follows:

(1) Devil's Thumb Ranch
(2) Snow Mountain Ranch
..
..
..
(3) Eldora
..
..
..
..
(4) Frisco

I also recommend the lodging at Snow Mtn or the Pinnacle Lodge in
Fraser. The trails, scenery and snow are absolutely phenomenal at the
top two and you can easily try both. Plus you avoid the delays that can
arise at the Eisenhower Tunnel on the way to Frisco, and can ski Winter
Park if you wish.

Cheers,

Spero

On 2006-01-18 06:02:01 -0700, said:

andy writes:

andy You have few options.
andy Go to Eldora up Boulder canyon, definately the closest option
and just stay andy in Longmont. It is a good area to learn to tele.
Not as large as the other andy areas but not too important when
learning. And the bonus is the nordic area andy is right there. The
trails are tougher than the other areas, more narrow and andy few
flats. They will be able to rent all your nordic needs. I would call
andy ahead to confirm a tele package, but you can pick that up in
numerous shops andy in Boulder.
andy Summit County, about 2 hrs from Longmont, depending on traffic.
andy Frisco Nordic center is located near to 4 downhill areas.
Copper, andy Breckenridge, Keystone, and A-Basin. All of these are
good tele areas. I andy would recommend Copper for first timers due
to amount of beginner slopes and andy they keep you away from
intermediates and experts. You can stay in Dillon or andy Frisco
pretty cheap.
andy Fraser Valley has two nordic areas, About 2 hrs from Longmont,
traffic andy dependent. Snow Mtn Ranch and the beautiful Devil's
Thumb Ranch. Both are andy located near Winter Park/Mary Jane and
Solvista downhill areas. Find cheap andy lodging in Fraser or stay
at snow mtn ranch for cheap no frills lodging.
andy Great snow everywhere here in Colorado, at least in these areas.
andy Andy

Thank you very much.
Frisco has a place in my heart, because we used to stop
there for lunch in the 1960s.

colorado skiing dware Nordic Skiing 5 August 5th 04 04:24 PM
Unlimited Nordic Skiing DVD amazon_distribution Nordic Skiing 1 December 8th 03 05:47 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 09:03 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Skiing in Colorado Eric Segal Alpine Skiing 11 September 12th 03 03:11 PM