Daily Mail Ski Show - ouch

Old October 23rd 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

Default Daily Mail Ski Show - ouch

On 23 Oct, 14:40, "platypus" wrote:
Steve Parry wrote:
"boots" wrote in message
us.com...
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:36:15 +0100 in uk.rec.motorcycles, The Older
Gentleman says:

DR wrote:

The Older Gentleman posted:
That bloody cost me.

Those who ski have money. Ipso facto.

No. Those who *don't* ski have money. ;-)

There are other more interesting and expensive pastimes to eat up the
cash.

Scuba is more than capable of being a cash sink *for example

I got involved in a lunchtime discussion about skiing, about 20 years ago
when I was spending my disposable on pottering about in little aeroplanes..

"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.
Old October 23rd 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
platypus

DR wrote:

The Older Gentleman posted:
That bloody cost me.

Those who ski have money. Ipso facto.

No. Those who *don't* ski have money. ;-)

There are other more interesting and expensive pastimes to eat up
the cash.

Scuba is more than capable of being a cash sink for example

I got involved in a lunchtime discussion about skiing, about 20
years ago when I was spending my disposable on pottering about in
little aeroplanes.

"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.

Renting Cessnas and Cherokees at eighty or a hundred quid an hour...

Old October 23rd 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
platypus

'Hog wrote:
platypus wrote:

DR wrote:

The Older Gentleman posted:
That bloody cost me.

Those who ski have money. Ipso facto.

No. Those who *don't* ski have money. ;-)

There are other more interesting and expensive pastimes to eat up
the cash.

Scuba is more than capable of being a cash sink for example

I got involved in a lunchtime discussion about skiing, about 20 years
ago when I was spending my disposable on pottering about in little
aeroplanes.
"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I don't think it is expensive at all. My Columbia Titanium kit has
lasted 8 years so far. Boots are about 6 years old and Volkl titanium
skis are giving years of service.

So it comes down to accommodation. In (for instance) Trois Valee you
can go from a few tens of squids a night in a La Tania bunkhouse to
several hundred in a Courchevel 1850 palace. I've tried both, the
former was a better Beano as it happened.

And if you are really pikey, pack some skins and forget the lift pass.

I've never skied in my life, so most of what you've said is just
funny-looking words.

Old October 23rd 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Champ

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT), "TOG@Toil"
wrote:

"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.

hollow voice

No ****...
--
Champ
We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.
Old October 23rd 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Champ

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:39:08 GMT, "platypus"
wrote:

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.

Renting Cessnas and Cherokees at eighty or a hundred quid an hour...

100 quid an hour? I used to dream of only spending 100 quid an
hour...
Old October 23rd 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles

In uk.rec.motorcycles TOG@Toil wrote:

I got involved in a lunchtime discussion about skiing, about 20 years ago
when I was spending my disposable on pottering about in little aeroplanes.

"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.

I thought puttering about in bigger aeroplanes was expensive until I
met a guy who was into powerboat racing. Bernie Eccelstone could
probably not afford F1 powerboats.

--
03 GS500K2
76 Honda 400/4 project
Old October 23rd 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles

In uk.rec.motorcycles platypus wrote:

I got involved in a lunchtime discussion about skiing, about 20
years ago when I was spending my disposable on pottering about in
little aeroplanes.

"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.

Renting Cessnas and Cherokees at eighty or a hundred quid an hour...

Try renting a KingAir for 3 or 4 hours to renew your CPL/IR every 6 months.
When you get to 60 it increases to 3 or 4 hours every 3 months all at
around 750/hour.
**** THAT.

Old October 23rd 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

On 23 Oct, 16:58, wrote:
In uk.rec.motorcycles TOG@Toil wrote:

I got involved in a lunchtime discussion about skiing, about 20 years ago
when I was spending my disposable on pottering about in little aeroplanes.

"Do you ski, Richard?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Not expensive enough."

I think motorcycle or car racing is a damn good way to burn through
cash.

I thought puttering about in bigger aeroplanes was expensive until I
met a guy who was into powerboat racing. Bernie Eccelstone could
probably not afford F1 powerboats.

A publishing company I worked for once produced a magazine about ocean
racing. Americas Cup, all that sort of thing. I've no idea if it's
pricier than powerboat racing, but it has to be in the same league.

No fuel bills to worry about, though.

Old October 23rd 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
davethedave

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:41:37 +0000, platypus wrote:

'Hog wrote:
platypus wrote:

DR wrote:

[...]

From what information I have gleaned from various sources regarding this
mysterious skiing thing. There are two main conditions.

1. On Piste - this is the slopy bit with the white stuff.
2. Off ****ed - what happens later.

If you never have been too interested in the cold I just miss out step 1
and proceed to step 2.
--
davethedave

Friggin' ouch! Marty Alpine Skiing 4 January 31st 07 02:12 AM
Bohemia comments, or "ouch" bdubya Alpine Skiing (moderated) 42 February 26th 06 05:30 AM
Hip Flexors. OUCH Onno61 Nordic Skiing 12 December 2nd 05 02:05 PM
Mail RWL Nordic Skiing 4 February 23rd 05 09:45 PM
Ouch, need a wider board -JPMM JPMM Snowboarding 6 March 22nd 04 04:25 PM