Is my heel dragging the snow?

Old December 19th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
clarv02

Default Is my heel dragging the snow?

I just put new Ride bindings on my Dynastar board. Tossed the LTD
bindings that gave me much trouble last year. I noticed when mounting
that the Ride bindings have my boot being lower to the board than the
LTDs did. I went out the other day for first time this year and many
times on my heelside turns, I just kind of fell down. I'm sure my
technique is a little off as heelside has always been weaker for me (I
ride goofy). But still, I was surprised how many times I fell. It seems
like I'd go up on the heel edge and the board wouldn't turn. So I'm
wondering if my boot is dragging in the snow and causing my turn to
crap out. I've got the boots centered with equal distance of overhang
on toe and heel.

It was only in the steeper, deeper snow that this happened. After the
deeper stuff, I just glided along with normal feeling turns.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old December 19th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

clarv02 wrote:
[...]

It does sound a lot like you are getting binding/boot drag - happens to
me when I'm it softer snow where my board digs a deep trench when I
carve. Even if you boot is centered on the board your binding itself
might be dragging - check to see if the heelcup of the binding sticks
out a lot compared to your old bindings. To test, try tilting your
board up on its heelside to see when the binding touches the ground. It
should be at least 60 degrees or more.

Old December 20th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
clarv02

Holding the board up on a flat surface, there is well over 60 degree
angle before the heel of the boot touches (the binding never touches,
only the boot heel). Even so, when doing this, I noticed that I do have
more overhang on the heel than the toe - just over an inch, so I'll
move the binding forward to balance it out.

Old December 20th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:08:28 GMT, "clarv02" allegedly
wrote:

Holding the board up on a flat surface, there is well over 60 degree
angle before the heel of the boot touches (the binding never touches,
only the boot heel). Even so, when doing this, I noticed that I do have
more overhang on the heel than the toe - just over an inch, so I'll
move the binding forward to balance it out.

Are you flexing the board so the entire edge is touching the ground?
Check out the FAQ with regards to wide boards for info on this. Have a
look in "do I need a wide board"

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old December 20th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

wrote:

Holding the board up on a flat surface, there is well over 60 degree
angle before the heel of the boot touches (the binding never touches,
only the boot heel). Even so, when doing this, I noticed that I do have
more overhang on the heel than the toe - just over an inch, so I'll
move the binding forward to balance it out.

Are you flexing the board so the entire edge is touching the ground?
Check out the FAQ with regards to wide boards for info on this. Have a
look in "do I need a wide board"

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/

My guess is that the possible heel drag isn't the source of your
problem. It would take quite a bit of lean to start to have this come
into play and that much lean occurs mostly with experienced riders.
Most times inexperienced riders think heel drag might be a problem, it
isn't, it's just technique, and part of the learning experience.

Old December 20th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
clarv02

Trad, you may be right. I've been boarding for 2 years and feel that my
skill has increased quite a bit. I can make turns on the easier black
diamonds for example. It does seem like at the beginning of the new
year, I start learning over to a certain degree. Maybe that's all this
is. What would be your suggestion for proper technique in my turns?

Old December 20th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
clarv02

Switters,

No I was not flexing the board. I'll do that tonight and see what kind
of angle I have (after moving the bindings forward a bit).

Thanks!

Old December 21st 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

You originally wrote:

It seems like I'd go up on the heel edge and the board wouldn't turn.

That's not really consistent with how boot-out feels. If you are
booting out, the board should roll up onto edge normally, and then as
you sink into the apex of the turn, it feels like you are getting
knocked off your edge - ie, you had it, and then you don't.

However:

It was only in the steeper, deeper snow that this happened.

This does happen, because in softer snow your edge sinks in and makes it
more likely for the boots to catch.

If you're unsure of your technique, maybe a lesson could help.

Neil
Old December 21st 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"clarv02" wrote in message
ups.com...
Switters,

No I was not flexing the board. I'll do that tonight and see what kind
of angle I have (after moving the bindings forward a bit).

Toeing out can be just as bad as what you've encountered, adjust
with care.

Bob

Old December 21st 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"clarv02" wrote in message
ups.com...
Trad, you may be right. I've been boarding for 2 years and feel that my
skill has increased quite a bit. I can make turns on the easier black
diamonds for example. It does seem like at the beginning of the new
year, I start learning over to a certain degree. Maybe that's all this
is. What would be your suggestion for proper technique in my turns?

Try to learn to initiate turns by twisting the front of the board
so that the edge at the front of the board releases and begins
to slide downhill into the turn while the rear edge is still engaged
the other way. You can see the effect by standing on your board
on the flat. Push down on the front toe while lifting up on the back
toe. You will see the board twist. Then, on a mild slope, traverse
the slope on your heel edge, then push your front toe down while
holding your rear toe up the same as you did on the flat. The board
will start to turn all by itself. Don't apply any twist with your arms or
body. Just wait. The board will turn to point downhill. As it nears
the fall line, then stop lifting the rear toe and gradually push it down
until you are turning on the toe edge.

Reverse the edges for heel turns. Toe traverse, Lower front heel, turn
begins. As the turn continues, lower the rear heel edge, and you
are turning on the heel edge.

Done correctly, you should be keeping your body (shoulders and hips)
aligned with your feet. Don't let your body open up to the front as you
turn. Turn your head more to see ahead, not your body.
Don't try to lead the turn with your arms or body. Initiate it from the
feet as described. You will learn to actually steer the board into the
turn, rather than sliding the board into the turn by pushing it with your
feet.

There is more to add. Finding a good instructor can make a huge
difference in your riding abilities and constistancy. I improved
dramatically when I learned the right way to initiate turns after
being basically self taught. I still benefit constantly from having
quality instructors observe and comment on my riding. That is
the biggest benefit of being an instructor.

Bob