Travel Bags

Old February 10th 04, 01:04 PM
Mike Kennedy

Default Travel Bags

Hello,

My son and I will be flying to Reno, Nevada this weekend to play in the
snow up at Diamond Peak and I am thinking about taking our boards and boots
instead of renting. Since it is a short direct flight from Boise would
ordinary snowboard bags provide enough protection? I thought that I would
secure the boots as near to the bindings as possible to try to keep them
from getting smashed and pack some clothes on the top and bottom of the
board for a little added padding.
We will be flying Southwest Airlines if that makes any difference

Thanks,

Mike

Old February 10th 04, 03:45 PM
Spiff

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:04:21 -0700, "Mike Kennedy"
wrote:

Hello,

My son and I will be flying to Reno, Nevada this weekend to play in the
snow up at Diamond Peak and I am thinking about taking our boards and boots
instead of renting. Since it is a short direct flight from Boise would
ordinary snowboard bags provide enough protection? I thought that I would
secure the boots as near to the bindings as possible to try to keep them
from getting smashed and pack some clothes on the top and bottom of the
board for a little added padding.
We will be flying Southwest Airlines if that makes any difference

Thanks,

Mike

Buy a padded bag....if you dont, get a roll of packing tape and tape
some rolled up towels along the nose and tail parts (atleast)....

Spiff

Old February 10th 04, 04:30 PM
og

I've traveled several times in the Western US using the cheapest crappiest
board bags made. In fact they were old ski bags overstuffed with boards,
skis, and poles. AS long as your not worried about the bag I think you'll
be ok.

Old February 10th 04, 05:12 PM
jaycb74

Put some towels or clothes around the ends and you'll be fine, I do all the
time. Boards are made to be banged around.

Old February 10th 04, 08:56 PM
Dick

Go to a Home Depot type store and get foam pipe insulation, comes in 8
ft lengths most of the time. Open the insulation and put it around
the edges of the board. use some tape to secure it. I do this inside
a padded bag to keep it from getting cut up.

Old February 12th 04, 02:29 PM
toddjb

"Mike Kennedy" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the replies, I guess I am being overly paranoid about rough
bag handling.

Mike

Not at all.

I travel a lot with the board and have seen the bag handlers really
SLAM the bags around. Borderline abusive (this is watching from the
window as bags are loaded/unloaded). So, yes, protect the edges with
or without a padded bag.

Just had a friend get a brand new $400 board dinged pretty good by
the airline. He is filing a claim with them. He used a standard non
padded bag...did have some padding of clothing.

If you want to invest in one, the DaKine wheeled board bags are great.
I think they're around $129 which isn't too bad considering they are
probably protecting at least $1000 worth of board, boots, bindings, gear
and clothing.

-todd
Old February 12th 04, 03:09 PM
Keith

If you want to invest in one, the DaKine wheeled board bags are great.
I think they're around $129 which isn't too bad considering they are
probably protecting at least $1000 worth of board, boots, bindings, gear
and clothing.

I've got a DaKine wheeled bag, and it's been pretty good. I'd recommend it.
It holds *everything* that I take on holiday, removing the need for a second
bag for clothes and so on. Mind you, a 5ft 10in fabric coffin carrying a
month's worth of kit weighs an absolute ton.

Well, 25-odd kilos, anyway. Still a lot to carry on one shoulder...

Keith

Old February 12th 04, 04:56 PM
Baretta

"Keith" wrote in message
If you want to invest in one, the DaKine wheeled board bags are great.
I think they're around $129 which isn't too bad considering they are
probably protecting at least $1000 worth of board, boots, bindings, gear
and clothing.

I've got a DaKine wheeled bag, and it's been pretty good. I'd recommend

it.
It holds *everything* that I take on holiday, removing the need for a

second
bag for clothes and so on. Mind you, a 5ft 10in fabric coffin carrying a
month's worth of kit weighs an absolute ton.

Well, 25-odd kilos, anyway. Still a lot to carry on one shoulder...

Keith

I've got the same bag - I love it. Its amazing how much stuff that thing
will swallow up. Works great for the tropical trips too - will fit
kiteboards, kites, scuba gear and clothes quite easily. I do add 2 extra
sets of cinch straps to keep everything tight when travelling.

btw - the bag also makes a great sleeping bag!! (you don't really want to
bunk with buds that have been drinking heavily)

Old February 13th 04, 12:46 PM
toddjb

I've got the same bag - I love it. Its amazing how much stuff that thing
will swallow up. Works great for the tropical trips too - will fit
kiteboards, kites, scuba gear and clothes quite easily. I do add 2 extra
sets of cinch straps to keep everything tight when travelling.

ahhhh...kiteboarding!!! I'm jealous. I tried that twice this past summer
(lessons) and loved it. Unfortunately, I don't live close enough to good
water to invest the time and equipment in learing IMHO. that's the best
though, you have a windsurfer style sport that is easy to travel with.
Amazing....bring your gear along on any beach trip, eh?

Bags and Tools Max Snowboarding 4 February 12th 04 02:12 AM
ski travel question moon General 1 January 27th 04 09:25 PM
UK travel insurance with preexisting injury? lizbubb Snowboarding 3 January 23rd 04 08:13 PM
Small Snowboard Bags (UK) www.amogen.com Snowboarding 3 October 9th 03 09:09 PM