Wondering which roller ski to buy

Old March 16th 06, 11:09 AM

Default Wondering which roller ski to buy

I finally made the switch from classical to skating last year, and found
at the beginning of this year, I needed an inordinately long time to
regain the levels I left last year. Thinking about rollerskiing as a
bridge, and wondered if anyone had a suggestion for a rollerski for a
beginner.
Thinking something on the lines of a combi, where I could continue to
work on classical, or does such a beast exist?
Randy
Old March 16th 06, 12:16 PM

The best combi I've used is the Marwe combi (finnsisu.com). It
comes with a wire wheel attachment for classic, otherwise it is a
short 590mm for skating. Stock is 40mm wheels, but for combi you might
want to get a least one set of 33s, for one end. Speed is
medium.

Gene

Old March 16th 06, 01:58 PM

I dunno about combi but I'm liking my Jeseniks---he has a website
somewhere. Seems like his starter model is $50 ($20 shipping from CZ).
I recall he has a combi. I bought his classic (and love em) and it
looks like I can install 100mm inline wheels to use as skate (upcoming
project). --JP upnorthmag.com

Old March 16th 06, 02:42 PM

Ah, it is getting to be that time of year, isn't it! I bought a pair
from http://www.rollerskishop.com/ and really like them. Put a lot of
miles in on them last summer. He's got a new line of pursuit skis that
are an improvement over the pair I've got. For example, I think he's
using a heavier grade of bearing.

The decision will also depend on how big you are. I tried a pair of
Pro Ski's and they were too slow, and I'm 170lb.

Old March 17th 06, 01:11 PM

Randy:

I would say it depends on where you are going to be RSing. If you have big
hills then you need speed reducers. If you have rough roads then you will
need bigger wheels, minimum Marwe size. So, with that said.....

I would say if you are in a moderately rolling or flat area, look at the
Marwe 610 RSs. They are a somewhat larger wheel with a reasonable
resistance so you can work on technique instead of keeping up with them.
The tires pretty much last forever. These skis seem to have a self-limiting
top speed but it's a little higher than I prefer when skiing on public hilly
roads. I don't believe you can get these skis with brakes, unfortunately.

If you have big hills or desire a brake, look at the V2 150 or 125. You can
get both of these with speed reducers &/or brakes. The 150s have a big
wheel which rolls over most any disturbance. They are heavier than the
Marwe's but open up a lot of the world to RSing. The 125s have a smaller
wheel but can go most of the places the 150s can go. The tires don't last
as long as the Marwe's, are pneumatic so you need a pump, & will sometimes
have flats which can be a major hassle. It's the tradeoff for opening up
the world.

The smaller wheel RSs (eg: ProSki) have good feel but tend to be faster &
will be stopped by just about anything that gets in front of the wheel.
That can be an issue. I see no reason to get any of this type when the
Marwe's have so much to offer with the exception of brakes/speed reducers.

MOO,
Matt

Old March 17th 06, 09:03 PM

I've just put 50km on my Crosskates (have had them for years catching dust)
this past week, and not much more than 10km ever before that. Never skied on
snow either, but hope to make it my #1 sport one day. Totally hooked on the
xc ski motion, as I anticipated. Also looking at rollerski's, my opinion
changing with every km I crosskate.

Just came across this : http://www.jenex.com/feedback1.html
Sure, bad responses aren't posted, but I like that feedback on the 150's.
They sound like the best way to work on your snow-skate in the off-season,
with added plusses. Exactly what I'm look for, with my 12-month off-season.

They are a bit expensive, I'm going to look at how much work (and cost) it
would be to make my own, together with a friend. Unfortunately large wheeled
rollerski's are much harder to make than small wheeled ones, which seem like
a simple beam with cutouts plus wheels.

I realize the 150's may not be the fastest things on earth, which is cool to
me to simulate snow, but if I would ever be tempted to try rollerski
training/racing in any form, I could always throw in solid 125mm or even
larger scooter wheels and only have a slight weight disadvantage, I guess?

"Randy AKA Cubby" schreef in bericht