trying to determine a good board for my needs

Old April 14th 05, 10:46 PM
chiliblue

I am very envious "Catek Freeride Pros" they look like they would be close
to the perfect strap binding. To be honest though I have been more than
happy with my SP4's they seem pretty responsive, or certainly were before my
boots softened up.

Is there anyway to re-enforce the boots so I can get some further use out of
them? I was thinking more to use on my local dry slope so I can keep my new
boots for snow alone, I would imagine that they will get scuffed up fairly
quickly on such an abrasive surface.

Really must get up in the attic to fish out and dispose my other 2 old pair
of boots...some crippling Vans and some AirWalk Half Pipe boots from around
1994....they offer practically no support at all.

"Andy Sandford" wrote in message
Hi

I've had my Malamutes for a while now and absolutely love them. VERY
supportive, but they have packed out a bit. The internal strap mitigates
this a bit though and helps a lot with the dreaded heel lift... I'll
definitely get another pair.

I'm 6'1" and about 200lbs. FYI, I ride a Donek Wide 161 with Catek
Freeride
Pros - hoping to get a 165 for next year. Fantastic boards for carving on
piste (and powder 'cos of the width). Not so nimble in the trees though,
as
Lonerider pointed out.

To get the best out of the boots, you'll need a pretty stiff binding - I
previously had a pair of Drake Matrix, but they felt really "soft" with
the
Malamutes/Donek combo. The bindings would flex without influencing the
board
at all.

Great softboot setup for carving, but not so hot if you like the park...

Cheers

Andy

"chiliblue" wrote in message
Heh not just similar but exactly the same, orange and black. You were
spot
on on the over tightening the laces too...I would be on my back tugging

for
all I am worth this year. Having 3 strap bindings also crossed my mind
too...yay I can blame my weak carving this season to my boots.

OK I think a new pair of boots are in order, I'll stick with Salomon as

they
have been very good but I might go upscale and try the Synapse or

Malamute.
The Malamute seems to be ultra stiff . Does anyone have any opinions on

them
( I am going to get my first pair of hards and plates this year too) but
like a pretty stiff boot.

"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...
chiliblue wrote:
Sorry to ambush the thread but this is all very interesting, I use
Salomon
Dialogue boots and Saloman SP4 bindings on my Incline 160. I used to
live
about an hour from my local east coast slope so I used to get in
around
20-30 days a season factoring in a 7 to 10 day out west trip. I got
my boots
in Whistler around 4 seasons ago. I moved from to the UK last year so
haven't been able to hit the slopes that much this year only 9 or so
days in
the Alps.

Hey, you have a very similar setup to what I had a few years ago... I
had 2001 Salomon Dialogues (orange/black) with SP4 Shaped bindings.

This season I felt that I was struggling to get the board nicely up
on its
edge. I kept thinking "if only the ankle strp on the bindings was
mounted
higher up on the binding it would stop this disconnect between the
boot and
the board" ,partly I put alot of this down to not being able to get
out
riding as much as I am used to and the fact that the conditions were
close
to sheet ice.

Do you think I have just finally flexed my boots one time too many?
IS it
the boots shell or the liner that is too soft now (or a bit of both)?
Would
it be worth tracking down a new liner for an old boot?

What you describe I think is exactly what happens when a boot softens
up too much. The ankle strap should really only be there to keep you
boot attached to the binding, the power that allows you to get you
toeside turn up on edge (unless you havea 3-strap binding) comes from
the stiffness of the boot tongue. You should be able bend your knees
and drive your shins into the front of the boot, the stiffness of the
boot should keep it from flexing much farther then an angled 'L' or
"/_" after that all the energy from your shins should tilt the boot
over like so it '', then the bindings are attached to the boot snugly
and that will transfer into the board. If your boots are worn out, when
you drive you knees/shins forward, the boots just flex a lot and you
don't get much energy transfer to the board via the bindings. Did that
make sense? It is the boot shell that is now too soft if you are having
toeside with your toeside. The Salomon liners also have a tendency to
pack out (so the inside of the boot is 1/2 to a full size large)...
which will lead heellift and cause you to tighten you laces a lot more
and likely overtighten your ankle strap more in an effort to lockdown
your ankle/heel.

Finally if I had to replace the boots now, are the current Salomon
boots
simlar enough so I can use my custom foot beds out of my old
Dialogues in
the new boots?

I think the Salomon boots are relatively similar in terms of length vs
width... but you really should just bring your footbeds with you to a
store, look at the boot, pull out the stock footbed, compare its
profile with yours, and then finally just stick in your own footbed
into the boot when trying it on. Since Salomon is a European brand I
don't for see you having to order online for it.

Hope that helps

Old April 15th 05, 12:03 AM
Mike T

Is there anyway to re-enforce the boots so I can get some further use out
of
them? I was thinking more to use on my local dry slope so I can keep my
new
boots for snow alone, I would imagine that they will get scuffed up fairly
quickly on such an abrasive surface.

Use a Booster Strap. This will change the feel of the upper, and give it a
stiffer feel with more rebound. It's designed for ski boots and hard
snowboard boots but works on soft boots too.

www.skimetrix.com

Go for the "standard" model for soft boots.

Mike T

Old April 15th 05, 01:22 AM
lonerider

chiliblue wrote:
I am very envious "Catek Freeride Pros" they look like they would be

close
to the perfect strap binding. To be honest though I have been more

than
happy with my SP4's they seem pretty responsive, or certainly were

before my
boots softened up.

I've ridden both... the Freeride Pros are just about the most
responsive binding in existence... very very solid and powerful.
However I feel that the SP4s were still very responsive and a great
binding over all (perhaps a little more versatile than the Cateks). I
found the Cateks a tad heavy (even compared to the sturdy SP4s). They
are also very lively... meaning you get a good feel for the snow under
your feet, the flipside is that they aren't damp so you feel
*everything* under your feet, the ruts and bumps tend to be transmitted
with solid all metal plate into your legs... which can be tiring after
a few hours (it isn't horrible, just noticeable).

Is there anyway to re-enforce the boots so I can get some further use

out of
them? I was thinking more to use on my local dry slope so I can keep

my new
boots for snow alone, I would imagine that they will get scuffed up

fairly
quickly on such an abrasive surface.

As Mike mentioned there is the booster strap
(www.bomberonline.com/store). I have read people using like a plastic
shim, but they have to fit the flex of your boot perfectly to work
(some boots like the Deeluxe Sparks or ThirtyTwo TeamTwo and I think a
Burton model, come with adjustable/replacable inserts). However, you've
gotten a 100 days out of the boots, I think it's time to put them out
to the pasture personally.

Old April 16th 05, 04:20 AM
Matt

Ok, what do you think about these options:
Rides LX: $90
Salomon SP4: $139
Salomon SPX5: $179

As you may remember I have Salomon boots. I can get the Rides locally,
and the others will be mailorder. I think the solomon bindings might
fit better, but is that worth the price do you think? I need to make a
choice pretty soon so if you read this and have opinions please let me
know!

thanks,

--Matt

Old April 16th 05, 04:32 AM
Matt

oops! that should be SPX4 not SP4.

thanks,

--Matt

Old April 17th 05, 02:18 AM
Matt

Bleh, Now I am stuck buying on-line after the folks failed to hold the
bindings for me, and I one to name names so be wary of Any Mountain in
San Jose Ca.

Now back to my dielemma, I have a new list:

Salomon SPX4: $139
Salomon SPX5: $179
Salomon SPX7: $199
Ride EX: $145

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Are the SPX more or less
equivelent to the SP series from before? Given that I have ordered a
Donek Phoenix, and I have those low-end salomon boots, but that I will
most likely try to upgrade to a stiffer pair of boots next season, but
that is the only upgrade I want to have to make next year. Mainly, I
want a pair of bindings that will play nicely with the Phoenix and
Salomon boots so I won't have to think about upgrading them for a
couple seasons.

thanks again,

--Matt

Old April 17th 05, 05:44 AM
lonerider

Matt wrote:
Bleh, Now I am stuck buying on-line after the folks failed to hold

the
bindings for me, and I one to name names so be wary of Any Mountain

in
San Jose Ca.

Oh you are in the Bay Area. Yea any mountain isn't so good... you could
try Tri City in Fremont, they might have some stuff left (everything is
halfoff). SFOSnow.com (Shrader St in Haight in SF) has some good stuff
too, but also in very limit quantities so call ahead.

Now back to my dielemma, I have a new list:

Salomon SPX4: $139
Salomon SPX5: $179
Salomon SPX7: $199
Ride EX: $145

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Are the SPX more or

less
equivelent to the SP series from before? Given that I have ordered a
Donek Phoenix, and I have those low-end salomon boots, but that I

will
most likely try to upgrade to a stiffer pair of boots next season,

but
that is the only upgrade I want to have to make next year. Mainly, I
want a pair of bindings that will play nicely with the Phoenix and
Salomon boots so I won't have to think about upgrading them for a
couple seasons.

The SPX series is equivalent (newer, stiffer) and will definitely fit
your boots pretty well. The looks like you only are getting a 25%
discount... you should be able to do better than that this late in the
season. I think the SPX4 will be plenty for your needs, as you go up in
price... the highback gets stiffer, the straps get thicker and more
comfortable, and the rachets are smooth and better made... you can
choose your own price point. The Ride bindings are good too (the EX
models are nice) but I would strong suggest you try them out with your
boots first.

And congrats on the Phoenix... I just got myself one as well.

--Arvin

Old April 17th 05, 06:58 PM
Matt

Both of the above were more or less completely out of large sized
bindings, but I
found the SPX7 for $139 which seemed like a reasonable price so I
ordered them.

I would like to thank everyone again with all the help, and I will let
you know how well
the combinations works out.

--Matt

Old April 18th 05, 01:40 PM
lonerider

SPX7 at $139 is a awesome price at 50% off. I could count the number of
bindings that I would choose over it on a singlehand and most of that
is just personal taste for bindings. Those are top notch bindings and
they should last you for years to come. Enjoy!

--Arvin

Old May 19th 05, 02:42 PM
Stan

I wanted to see a picture of the SPX7's and googled them. This site popped
up with free shipping @ $139.95 if anyone else is looking at them. I don't
know the site so I can't recommend it.

I'm riding Flows and am really happy with them.

Stan.

oups.com...