Wax/klister help

Old March 16th 06, 06:26 AM

For my money, this is why God invented RCS waxless skis or any of the
very good high end waxless race skis. You'll have bombproof kick for
the climb and adequate glide for the plateau. And no chance of icing or
need to rewax. You may not have the fastest skis for any one section of
the race (though climb should be excellent) but you would probably have
some of the fastest skis for ALL sections added together,if that makes
sense.

Anyway, it's a great race. Have a ball and knock 'em dead.

Stuart

Old March 16th 06, 07:06 AM

gary jacobson wrote:
"Marsh Jones" wrote in message
Joe, If you'd asked me this question a year ago, I might have launched
into a long description about how to carefully analyze the conditions and
pick some great witches brew of klisters. But instead, I'm going to
suggest you get a can of spray-on gel wax remover, and a package of REX
warm grip tape.

I second this idea.
It's what I'd do if I wasn't on fiscales for this race.
Bring a putty knife and some wax for the top plateau just for your piece of
mind.
BTW I never have used Rex, but have used Start grip tape and the range is
huge and it works well for me as long as conditions are not really abrasive.
Just use it in the klister pocket.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Yesterday at the shop I eyballed some Start tape. It was just a regular
sports store, so there was nobody particularly knowledgeable there to
ask about it. It looks good, but I'm hesitant to try something new
without testing it first and knowing how to deal with it. If I had a
few more days, I'd do it.

Joseph

Old March 16th 06, 05:11 PM

Here is the latest from SWIX -
cold temps, fine grained snow, VR40-45 combo.
details here

http://www.swixsport.com/ie5D623.htm

Follow their advice and you won't be too far off !
JK

"32 degrees" wrote:

Careful ..... waxless do NOT work on ice.
JK

oups.com...

Old March 16th 06, 06:07 PM

32 Degrees B wrote:
Here is the latest from SWIX -
cold temps, fine grained snow, VR40-45 combo.
details here

http://www.swixsport.com/ie5D623.htm

Follow their advice and you won't be too far off !
JK

That's the recommendation for today's conditions which are solidly
below freezing. The forecast Saturday is calling for a bit of a hiccup
with -10C at 7:00AM and +4C as 1:00PM.

Swix will publish a recommendation for Saturday's race on Friday
morning. I'll check it then. But I have pretty much decided on V45
Violet Special. I start at 10:30. If it is -10C at 7:00AM it will be
still -2 or -3 by the time I start. And I expect the colder
temperatures at altitude despite the warming trend will mean I have a
-3 constant the whole way up. By the time I get there, I can put some
V60 Red-Silver on if I have run out of grip, or I can just live with it
over the top and have nice glide. For glide I just applied CH8 Red. I
have decided I would rather have nice glide for less drag on the climb
than super fast down from Sjusj=F8en, thus CH8 instead of CH10 despite
the expected very warm temps down into Lillehammer.

I have to get in the car at 10:00AM tomorrow so I had to do the prep
today. Unless something drastic happens I'll stick with my setup,
unless the Swix recommendation calls for something significantly
different.

I'm quite excited!

Joseph

"32 degrees" wrote:

Careful ..... waxless do NOT work on ice.
JK

"Stuart" wrote in message
oups.com...
For my money, this is why God invented RCS waxless skis or any of
the very good high end waxless race skis. You'll have bombproof
kick for the climb and adequate glide for the plateau. And no
chance of icing or need to rewax. You may not have the fastest skis
for any one section of the race (though climb should be excellent)
but you would probably have some of the fastest skis for ALL
sections added together,if that makes sense.

Anyway, it's a great race. Have a ball and knock 'em dead.

Stuart
=20
=20