Off-Season Training Ideas...

Old April 6th 05, 12:27 AM
JAG338

Default Off-Season Training Ideas...

Just wondering what everybody else does in the off season to keep up
with training. I have a specific routine, but it would be nice to hear
what some other people do as well.

Old April 6th 05, 01:26 AM

Oh yeah! Off season! Now yer talkin'.

Basically you got yer bikin and yer paddlin'.

I do lots of those and if you do enough of those you don't need much
more.

If you add plenty of rollerskiing both classic and skating you're
stylin'.

If you live near hills, do anything at all on them and you're fine.

Calesthenics a few times a week also are definitely a good idea.

It also depends on where you tend to be lacking.

My endurance isn't so hot---so my ideal offseason training includes
several-hour outings every month.

I also need more power, so offseason includes weightlifting and power
stuff.

Anything that keeps fat off is also a darn good thing. I use biking.

--JP

Old April 6th 05, 01:57 AM
Marsh Jones

JAG338 wrote:
Just wondering what everybody else does in the off season to keep up
with training. I have a specific routine, but it would be nice to hear
what some other people do as well.

A lot of it depends on where you live, and what you like to do. This
time of year, I run, bike and paddle. After mid-June, I usually drop
the run (the canoe triathlons in the mid-west are pretty much over until
fall) and mostly paddle with a few rides thrown in for fun. Somewhere
around Labor Day, I get out the roller skis and do that one day a week
until mid-September and then start cranking up the ski workouts. I
don't do a lot of specific stregth work, although I keep meaning to.

Weekly April:
Mon - paddle 2hr w/new paddler group, and maybe a run
Tues - 2-3 hr paddle with training group
Wed - 2hr ride and maybe a 30min run
Thur - 1-2hr paddle or ride
Friday - 3-5mi run
Sat - 3-4hr paddle
Sun - 2-3hr paddle, 1hr ride

May:
Mon - rookies paddle, 30min run
Tues - 2-3hr paddle, LSD w/natural intervals
Wed - 2hr ride,
Thurs - 'micro-tri' 1hr paddle, 1hr bike, 40min run
Fri - recovery - something light
Sat - 3-4hr paddle w/running portage and some race pace (or race)
Sun - 3-4hr paddle + ride (or race)

June & July:
Mon - Rookie paddle
Tues - Training group 2-3hr
Wed - Easy day 2hr paddle or ride TT
Thurs - canoe race
Fri - usually off
Sat/Sun - usually out of town race

August - varies a lot.
August is much more unstructured. The canoe races coming up are longer
and so are the training days, but I also try to fit an occasional run or
ride into the mix.

Sept - taper off the paddling, add back some runs and start
rollerskiing. Keep riding for the fun of it.

Marsh Jones
Old April 6th 05, 03:28 PM
BarryT

"JAG338" wrote in message
Just wondering what everybody else does in the off season to keep up
with training. I have a specific routine, but it would be nice to hear
what some other people do as well.

When there is no ski-ing, there is bik-ing and row-ing.

BarryT

Old April 7th 05, 04:08 AM
Marsh Jones

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
Gee, Marsh, very impressive. But no recovery?

Gene

Alright, you caught me out. Monday's rookie group paddles are pretty
low key, and Friday is seldom any significant effort - maybe just a walk
with the dog. I also assume I'm going to lose a full day each week in
April to the weather. I won't go out in a serious April rain if I can
help it, and don't go out if the weather radar is showing T-storms.

Old April 7th 05, 05:09 AM
©Ðëŀămèřé ©Ðëŀămèřé is offline
Junior Member

Location: Boulder, CO
Send a message via AIM to ©Ðëŀămèřé Send a message via MSN to ©Ðëŀămèřé

Marsh is a beast :-p. I would suggest focusing on training to your weaknesses. As well as that do what you like best. Get some variety in your workouts and routins. Some things that i do are roller ski (skate only so far), run, strength, spents (plyometrics), bike, and hike. Also train with a friend! It pushes you more and makes things more fun. Good luck.
Old April 8th 05, 04:16 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Where did I read that focusing on one's weaknesses is not an approach
commonly used by top skiers? Maybe the Olympic handbook on cross
country skiing. An example might be V1 poling on the weaker side, which
is something you won't see a lot of top level skiers doing much of (I
suspect it's a function of how ambidextrous one is). I'm thinking it's
better to focus on what is needed rather than weaknesses per se, and
that's probably what you mean. For example, increasing upper body
neuromuscular strength and endurance makes skiing a lot easier, and many
of us could use improvement there. Another might be learning to get
more glide per kick or push off, which is directly related to ski
efficiency and speed. And so forth.

Gene

--
©Ðëŀămèřé