ski race in the rain i have some questions

Old February 27th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
wintermutt

Default ski race in the rain i have some questions

i am doing tahoe to truckee race sunday and forecast is somewhat above
freezing and rain.
i have atomic rs 11 192 skate skis and was planning on running high
fluoro wax and fluoro powder
having never skied in the rain am looking for suggestions.
what is it like skate skiing in a cold rain??
is it a good idea to take a poncho?
TIA.
Old February 27th 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:43:34 -0800 (PST), wintermutt
wrote:

i am doing tahoe to truckee race sunday and forecast is somewhat above
freezing and rain.
i have atomic rs 11 192 skate skis and was planning on running high
fluoro wax and fluoro powder
having never skied in the rain am looking for suggestions.
what is it like skate skiing in a cold rain??
is it a good idea to take a poncho?

I've only trained in the rain, and for me up top it was a light base
layer plus a breathable waterproof jacket (like Goretex) made for
cycling and fairly thick wool hat. And as bottom a thin base layer
then tights with windfront panels. I was OK for two hours and guess
that would've been OK at marathon intensity for a while longer. For a
shorter race it woud've been too hot.

Some people dressed "normally" for low 30s were OK after an hour but
then became miserably cold.

I think a poncho that flaps would be very annoying. Maybe a tight
poncho with most of the arms cut off would be OK -- I sometimes bike
race in a cheap plastic waterproof jacket with just 4 inches of the
arms left. If the entire arm is cut off, sometimes wind can go in
there and it's too cold and slow.

Also: rill.

Old February 27th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Also, putting some oil -- like mineral oil or vaseline -- on your
skin, especially around the knees and thighs can help a lot when
cycling in consistent cold wet weather. I think that could help skiing
too.
Old February 27th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 27, 12:43*pm, wintermutt wrote:
i am doing tahoe to truckee race sunday and forecast is somewhat above
freezing and rain.
i have atomic rs 11 192 skate skis and was planning on running high
fluoro wax and fluoro powder
having never skied in the rain am looking for suggestions.
what is it like skate skiing in a cold rain??
is it a good idea to take a poncho?
TIA.

The race is 1/3 uphill and 2/3 downhill. Take a good wind shell
otherwise you will get miserable on the downhill.

Otherwise - skiing in the rain is like cycling in the rain. I would
also put a coarse structure on the bases.
Old February 28th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

You might also want a rain shield or Casco like glasses. My first
thought when you mentioned high fluoros and powders is that a softer
flex ski and coarse structure (and I suppose light weight) are most
important in those conditions, since you're going to be sucking
moisture and sinking in if there's measureable rain.

Gene

Old February 28th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 27, 1:45*pm, wrote:
On Feb 27, 12:43*pm, wintermutt wrote:

The race is 1/3 uphill and 2/3 downhill. Take a good wind shell
otherwise you will get miserable on the downhill.

After the 10 km climb to the pass its a long continous downhill (about
5 km) that you could pretty much tuck. However, you should do enough
skating to keep your leg muscles from tightening and warm.

Let it rain. Jay Pique Alpine Skiing 11 October 26th 05 05:00 PM
Rain, rain, please don't take our snow base away! Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 18 February 5th 05 12:24 AM
BC Rain and Conditions ttalb Alpine Skiing 4 January 25th 05 03:48 PM
Rain, rain, please don't take our snow base away! [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 January 12th 05 01:35 PM
rain rain rain gr Nordic Skiing 1 August 14th 04 03:37 AM