Battery powered XC skis with air suction for traction?

Old March 17th 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SMS

Default Battery powered XC skis with air suction for traction?

On Sunday on Glacier Point Road in Yosemite, there was a guy skiing
along and his skis were making strange noises. It was like he was
playing a video game while skiing. He pointed to his skis and said that
they had a powered traction device which created some sort of vacuum on
uphills (for traction) and reversed it for gliding, pushing air out
through ports in the bottom, and that was the source of the annoying noice.

I searched on-line and couldn't find anything about this. One thing
about him was that he was _really_ slow, so whatever the thing on his
skis was, it didn't seem to help with speed. Maybe it was something he
constructed himself.
Old March 17th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mar 17, 8:57*am, SMS wrote:
On Sunday on Glacier Point Road in Yosemite, there was a guy skiing
along and his skis were making strange noises. It was like he was
playing a video game while skiing. He pointed to his skis and said that
they had a powered traction device which created some sort of vacuum on
uphills (for traction) and reversed it for gliding, pushing air out
through ports in the bottom, and that was the source of the annoying noice.

I searched on-line and couldn't find anything about this. One thing
about him was that he was _really_ slow, so whatever the thing on his
skis was, it didn't seem to help with speed. Maybe it was something he
constructed himself.

Did he show his battery pack? I would guess one would need a decent
battery (say, 10 A-H at 12V?) to provide enough power to ski for any
substantial periods of time (more than an hour).

Old March 17th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:57:39 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On Sunday on Glacier Point Road in Yosemite, there was a guy skiing
along and his skis were making strange noises. It was like he was
playing a video game while skiing. He pointed to his skis and said that
they had a powered traction device which created some sort of vacuum on
uphills (for traction) and reversed it for gliding, pushing air out
through ports in the bottom, and that was the source of the annoying noice.

I searched on-line and couldn't find anything about this. One thing
about him was that he was _really_ slow, so whatever the thing on his
skis was, it didn't seem to help with speed. Maybe it was something he
constructed himself.

Sounds like they finally made a Cat Ski for snow.

Old March 24th 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:57:39 -0700, SMS wrote:

On Sunday on Glacier Point Road in Yosemite, there was a guy skiing
along and his skis were making strange noises. It was like he was
playing a video game while skiing. He pointed to his skis and said that
they had a powered traction device which created some sort of vacuum on
uphills (for traction) and reversed it for gliding, pushing air out
through ports in the bottom, and that was the source of the annoying noice.

I searched on-line and couldn't find anything about this. One thing
about him was that he was _really_ slow, so whatever the thing on his
skis was, it didn't seem to help with speed. Maybe it was something he
constructed himself.

Was it this guy, by chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYnO...eature=related

Ben
Old March 28th 09, 06:49 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Crazy idea. I've got some sketches to use just the hoovercraft effect for skating. Glad someone else made it, and is skiing slowly with it now.
I wanted to make it work without external power, though.

Traction Treads DZN Alpine Skiing 19 December 16th 08 02:53 AM
Traction Treads DZN Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 November 23rd 08 03:55 PM
DIY polar HRM battery replacement Derick Fay Nordic Skiing 7 April 13th 06 05:22 PM
Battery-Powered Ski Boot Inners? NM European Ski Resorts 4 January 5th 06 09:42 PM
Wind powered turbines in the forest Taywood Nordic Skiing 1 September 8th 03 08:36 AM