40 Ski Marathons?

Old February 26th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default 40 Ski Marathons?

I think this last American Birkebeiner was my 40th ski marathon since
1984. I'll count them up;

American Birkiebeiner x 23 times
Swedish Vasaloppet x 1
Norwegian Birkebeiner x 1
Finlandia Hiihto x 1
Swiss Engadin x 1
Czech Jizerska x 1
Austrian Dolomitenlauf x 1
Canadian Keskinada x 1

Minnesota Vasaloppet 58K x 1
Minnesota Vasaloppet 42K x 1
Minnesota Governor's Cup 48K x 2
Minnesota Cannonball 42k x 1
Minnesota Pepsi Challenge 48K x 1
Wisconsin Superior Municipal Forest 42K x 1
Wisconsin Pre Birkie 43K x 1
Michigan Noquemanon 48K x 1

Well, I guess that's 39...

Jay T

Old February 27th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
FrontRunner[_2_]

I have you beat Jay w/ 106 including 30 birkies and 17 other world loppet
races

The FrontRunner
(not really that competitive)

Old February 27th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jay W

I should add mine up sometime.

-18 Birkies
-Probably 6 long Pepsi's before I figured out there's a short race
-A few long Seeley classsics
-Bear Chase (only 1)
-A couple 58 Vasaloppets (skate) and two classic
-Does the 42 km? Gov Cup count?

That's all I can think of.

Jay

Old February 27th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

On Feb 27, 9:07*am, Jay W wrote:
I should add mine up sometime.

-18 Birkies
-Probably 6 long Pepsi's before I figured out there's a short race
-A few long Seeley classsics
-Bear Chase (only 1)
-A couple 58 Vasaloppets (skate) and two classic
-Does the 42 km? Gov Cup count?

That's all I can think of.

Jay

Hey guys you haven't done the Lake Placid Loppet! More total vertical
than the other marathons. The Porter Mt Trails will kick your butt and
you have to do them twice.
Old February 27th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 26, 3:01*pm, wrote:
I think this last American Birkebeiner was my 40th ski marathon since
1984. I'll count them up;

American Birkiebeiner *x 23 times
Swedish Vasaloppet x 1
Norwegian Birkebeiner x 1
Finlandia Hiihto x 1
Swiss Engadin x 1
Czech Jizerska x 1
Austrian Dolomitenlauf x 1
Canadian Keskinada x 1

Minnesota Vasaloppet 58K x 1
Minnesota Vasaloppet 42K x 1
Minnesota Governor's Cup 48K x 2
Minnesota Cannonball 42k x 1
Minnesota Pepsi Challenge 48K x 1
Wisconsin Superior Municipal Forest 42K x 1
Wisconsin Pre Birkie 43K x 1
Michigan Noquemanon 48K x 1

Well, I guess that's 39...

Jay T

I've heard there's some marathons outside of the midwest? 8-).
Seriously, that's a good record. I've only done about 8, but then
again, I only made the transition from touring in the woods to groomed
trail skiing in 01 or -02.
Old February 28th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

Are you allowed to count the same race 23 times? That's a lot of
marathons, either way.
I have done 21 in seven seasons (if I can count the 3-day Arctic
Circle Race as 3 marathons, and the abominable London 4-hour roller-
ski race (115km)):
Transjurassienne
Engadin
Arctic Race x3
Savoyarde
Traversee du Queyras
Dobbiaco-Cortina
North American Vasa (twice)
Transpyreneenne
Sgambeda
Keskinada classic
Keskinada skate
London R-ski 4 hr
Pustertaler skate
Noquemanon (three times)
Birkie
Craftsbury

Those days are gone now: I can't go long enough for a marathon or fast
enough for a 5km, so I am trying a back-country race this weekend.
My log tells me I have done a total of 247 races (covering 3,963km) in
my 17 seasons of skiing. The most in one season was 35.
50 skate
54 classic
101 biathlons
9 military (fancy-dress) races
21 roller-ski
12 roller-biathlon
That seems a lot to me, but I guess anyone who spent a few seasons
racing seriously would beat it by a long way.
Can you tell I'm an Excel fan (the spreadsheets as well as the poles)?
Hugh
Old February 28th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:55:31 -0800 (PST), Hugh P
wrote:

abominable London 4-hour roller-
ski race (115km)):

Whoa.
Old February 28th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff and Stephanie Kalember

Interesting thread ... used to consider myself a runner, then became a skier
who ran to stay in shape for skiing, now gradually switching back to a
runner that skis to stay in shape in winter for running.

17 ski marathons (2 Birkies, one Vasaloppet and the rest local)
9 running marathons
66 total ski races (from 5k to 90k)
256 running races total (from 800m to marathon)

and hopefully this summer my first 50 mile ultramarathon.

JKal.

Old February 28th 09, 10:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Jeff and Stephanie Kalember wrote:
Interesting thread ... used to consider myself a runner, then became a skier
who ran to stay in shape for skiing, now gradually switching back to a

I ski to stay in shape. Otherwise I would have to start spending time on
ski prep, instead of just go out and ski.

runner that skis to stay in shape in winter for running.

17 ski marathons (2 Birkies, one Vasaloppet and the rest local)
9 running marathons
66 total ski races (from 5k to 90k)
256 running races total (from 800m to marathon)

OK, if we're allowed to count these things, then I have completed about
45-50 orienteering competitions/year for a _lot_ of years.

I started orienteering when I was 10, but probably didn't average more
than about 30 races for the first 10 years.

Lets call it 40x43 =~ 1700 races. :-)

(I have started in some ski marathons (tour races) as well of course,
along with a bunch of other sports.)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no