Groups, accomodation & challenging resorts.

Old December 14th 04, 04:07 PM
VisionSet

Default Groups, accomodation & challenging resorts.

I usually organise a trip for around 7 people for the last week in Jan.
I go for a cheap lateish package deal.
Does anyone know of accomodation that does 7 people on a budget?
The typical residences seem to top out at 7 people rooms and can be cramped,
so is it time to go to a chalet? Have just found Alp D'Huez deals for £180
We are generally not bothered by the typical size of French residences, but
when the notes say not recommended for 7, then perhaps that would be too
small.
Really don't know anything about the deal with chalets, do I look for one
just for us? 7 to few? Or do we share? Am I likely to find anything anywhere
near the £250 I normally spend? These prices are flight, transfer and SC
accom.

Last year went to Les Arc, and found it fantastic, perhaps the best resort
I've been to but Courchevel would run it close.
I'm at least a strong intermediate, and choose resorts by - snow sure,
vertical drop, extent, number of black or hard pistes, safe off-piste
dabbling - in that order.

Sampled:
Espace Killy
Paradiski
3 Valleys

Love to go to Switzerland esp Verbier, also St Anton. But they are usually
very pricey. Arraba looks good too.

Where now? especially in light of the group requirement?

Avoiraz and Alp D'Huez are currently this years contenders, snow permitting.

--
Mike W

Old December 14th 04, 04:45 PM

VisionSet wrote:
I usually organise a trip for around 7 people for the last week in

Jan.
I go for a cheap lateish package deal.
Does anyone know of accomodation that does 7 people on a budget?
The typical residences seem to top out at 7 people rooms and can be

cramped,
so is it time to go to a chalet? Have just found Alp D'Huez deals

for =A3180
We are generally not bothered by the typical size of French

residences, but
when the notes say not recommended for 7, then perhaps that would be

too
small.
Really don't know anything about the deal with chalets, do I look for

one
just for us? 7 to few? Or do we share? Am I likely to find anything

anywhere
near the =A3250 I normally spend? These prices are flight, transfer

and SC
accom.

If you are looking for self catering appts then your best bet might be
to go for 2 4-person units. I'm sure 7/8 person ones exist but there'll
be more choice if you look for 4-person size. Last week in Jan is a
good time to go, you should be able to hit your price target if you
shop around.

Chalets will generally be half board and the food can vary in quality
because it is often down to one or 2 individual staff. Generally
speaking you get what you pay for (Mark Warner, for example, are one of
the best but charge a lot, cheaper operators may have les experienced
staff and lower quality accomodation). Sizes typically range from 8 to
maybe 15-20. There are bigger ones (e.g. up to 50 or 60 people), but
really these are hotels by another name (I'm not really sure what the
distinction is, other than a chalet is tied to a tour operator and a
hotel is run independently). With 7 of you it would be feasible to book
a whole chalet and hence ensure it was just your group there. Obviously
this won't work for a big chalet, but if one sleeps 8 you may well find
the TO is happy to leave the other bed empty.

Last year went to Les Arc, and found it fantastic, perhaps the best

resort
I've been to but Courchevel would run it close.
I'm at least a strong intermediate, and choose resorts by - snow

sure,
vertical drop, extent, number of black or hard pistes, safe off-piste
dabbling - in that order.

Sampled:
Espace Killy
Paradiski
3 Valleys

These are all such big places I don't see the harm in going back if
they suit your needs, but if you want to look around consider Flaine
maybe - good value and a large lift network. Lots of self catering
apartements too. It's also a short transfer from Geneva, so you may
squeeze in an extra day's skiing if you're lucky.

Love to go to Switzerland esp Verbier, also St Anton. But they are

usually
very pricey. Arraba looks good too.

Verbier isn't cheap, I've not found St Anton too bad, but self catering
accomodation is more limited than the big French resorts in both these
places, so most holidays you see will tend to be chalets or hotels and
hence more expensive. For what it's worth I've found Val d'Isere to be
more expensive than St Anton.

Where now? especially in light of the group requirement?

For the group, Tignes, Les Arcs or Flaine will be easiest to sort out
self catering but do have a look at St Anton, the skiing is great.

Avoiraz and Alp D'Huez are currently this years contenders, snow

permitting.
Still on my to-do list so can't comment. ALpe d'Huez looks good - you
could also look at Les Deux Alpes maybe?

Steve