DEER Valley or Park City

Old January 3rd 04, 04:36 AM
Stromer2

Default DEER Valley or Park City

I will be going to Park City in a week and would like advice on what resort is
the best for me and my wife. I will obviously have to ski each area to get
familiar with the resort, but would like some preliminary information. I like
the following:

1. I am an intermediate that likes to cruise with quad chairlifts so I can make
lots of runs
2. Long runs without mogles-my knees are not in the best of shape.
3. Groomed slopes - don't like powder unless its a necessity from new snow.
4. I hear Deer Valley has crowd restrictions so the lines don't get long-is
that true. I will be skiing mostly on the weekdays.
5. If anyone is familiar with Mammoth and June Mtn in Calif, I like June Mtn
better because it offers more of what I like-especially no long lines.
Thanks for any advice on the above, Rick
Old January 3rd 04, 05:00 AM
pigo

"Stromer2" wrote in message
[...]

Mid week you shouldn't have to worry about lines at all. Deer Valley doesn't
allow snowboards. park****ty's runs are much shorter, mostly run out with
little bits of drop off.

If you're going to be in town for the week you'll have time to see both.
Just don't do as some people and buy an entire week at pc. If you are going
to ski 6 days I would suggest 1 pc 3-4 Deer Valley and one at Alta or
Solitude. I prefer Alta because it's boardfree and I don't go anywhere that
allows them. That will be up to you.

Don't waste your money on the crayons, Brighton or Snowturd.

pigo

Old January 3rd 04, 04:49 PM
houseslave

Deer Park is where the rich and pampered ski. They even have people to
carry your skis when you first arrive. The Stein Erickson lodge has an
incredible buffet. Some of the best ribs and oysters I've ever had. Expect
to pay about 55.00 a person. Now for the skiing. I wasn't impressed with
the mountain. They do way too much grooming for me and I thought the
terrain was boooring. Park City is OK. I like the Canyons best and if you
want a challenge go to Snowbird. Alta is great but the lifts suck. But if
I had to choose I would take PC over Deer Valley.

"Terd Fartingmor" wrote in message
On 03 Jan 2004 05:36:15 GMT, (Stromer2) wrote this
crap:

I will be going to Park City in a week and would like advice on what

resort is
the best for me and my wife. I will obviously have to ski each area to

get
familiar with the resort, but would like some preliminary information.

I highly recommend the Stein Eriksen Lodge. Tell them Horvath sent
you.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe

Old January 3rd 04, 06:11 PM
pigo

"houseslave" wrote in message
et...
Deer Park is where the rich and pampered ski. They even have people to
carry your skis when you first arrive. The Stein Erickson lodge has an
incredible buffet. Some of the best ribs and oysters I've ever had.

Expect
to pay about 55.00 a person. Now for the skiing. I wasn't impressed with
the mountain. They do way too much grooming for me and I thought the
terrain was boooring. Park City is OK. I like the Canyons best and if

you
want a challenge go to Snowbird. Alta is great but the lifts suck. But

if
I had to choose I would take PC over Deer Valley.

I'm neither rich or pampered. I ski Deer Valley.

They *do* have great food. Are you thinking of the Seafood Buffet at the
Snowpark Lodge (bottom) or the Lunch Buffet at SEL? Both EXCELLENT!

They do alot of grooming but they also leave TONS of terrain alone. At the
crayons they groom every square inch with those two legged groomers. How can
you complain about grooming and then like places that allow snowboards where
even the trees are groomed?

When you look at the price of a ticket at DV and pc and compare the
amenities it boggles my mind. If DV is $70 pc is worth about $35 IMO.

You are entitled to your opinion however.

pigo

Old January 3rd 04, 10:37 PM
BW

In article , pigo says...

I prefer Alta because it's boardfree and I don't go anywhere that
allows them. That will be up to you.

Don't waste your money on the crayons, Brighton or Snowturd.

pigo

I heard that Alta will have to allow snowboards in the near future. Dwindling
skier days are killing the bottom line and even *gasp* Alta is looking into
letting them scrape the snow there. Sorry to break that to you.

BoftheW

Old January 4th 04, 12:10 AM
pigo

"BW" wrote in message
In article , pigo says...

I prefer Alta because it's boardfree and I don't go anywhere that
allows them. That will be up to you.

Don't waste your money on the crayons, Brighton or Snowturd.

pigo

I heard that Alta will have to allow snowboards in the near future.

Dwindling
skier days are killing the bottom line and even *gasp* Alta is looking

into
letting them scrape the snow there. Sorry to break that to you.

BoftheW

I'll just ski there until they do.

Old January 4th 04, 12:55 AM
AstroPax

Butt-of-the-Wasatch wrote:

//snip//

I heard that Alta will have to allow snowboards in the near future. Dwindling
skier days are killing the bottom line and even *gasp* Alta is looking into
letting them scrape the snow there. Sorry to break that to you.

Really! And exactly where did you hear that, Butt?

I will tell you that Alta Lifts Co periodically considers that very
option, however, I will also tell you that I have it on good authority
that boarders will not be allowed at Alta anytime soon, and certainly
not in the "near future".

Same rumor, different year.

Now, Butt, are you ready to put your money where your mouth is?

Keep in mind that Endlessseason is about to owe me a day at The Bird
because he made the very same claim a few years ago. At least he was
willing to back it up:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

I'll give you to the end of the 2006 regular ski season, and I bet the
company still won't allow boards area-wide. That's more than 2.5
seasons in the future...more than what one would consider the "near
future".

I'm willing to bet whatever you want within the range of a single day
tic (any UT area) all the way up to a season pass (any UT area)...or
monetary equivalent. Confirmation of terms required.

So what do you say, Butt? Are you gonna be a "know-it-all gutless
wonder", or take me up on it?

Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
----
Old January 4th 04, 01:16 AM
pigo

"AstroPax" wrote in message
Butt-of-the-Wasatch wrote:

Really! And exactly where did you hear that, Butt?

Good reply. Even better than mine.

But take it easy on ol butt. He still lives in pc after all. You know how
*they* are. If golfing days go down he'll probably advocate some sort of
magnetic homing device in the cup and ball to appeal to a wider audience.

Who knows? Maybe in the near future the Jazz will get to use a 5' wide hoop.

Old January 4th 04, 02:02 AM
AstroPax

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:16:14 -0700, "pigo"
wrote:

//snip//

Who knows? Maybe in the near future the Jazz will get to use a 5' wide hoop.

Well, I heard that in the near future PC will install radiant heating
systems under some of their golf courses so that they can be played
year-round, because dwindling golfer days are killing the bottom line.

Of course, I won't be specific about exactly where or whom I heard it
from.

Astro

---