Crampons on Crispi CXA / CXR

Old February 18th 04, 11:27 AM
Florian Anwander

Default Crampons on Crispi CXA / CXR

Hi,

I am thinking to change my crampons to a type with a heel lever based
binding. Does anyone here around know, whether a crampon with a heel
lever like the Grivel crampomatic fits to a Crispi CXA or CXR boot?

The upper side of the heel end of the Crispis sole is rounded, while the
heel ends of a Scarpa T1's sole (or of my LaSportiva Nepal Top) are
flat. Does the crampons lever sit tight in the nut of the sole or has it
to sit above the sole?

Some pics:
Lever based Crampon:
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/pho...mp-o-matic.jpg
Crispi boot:
http://www.skitouren.com/ftp/Artikel...748_012_01.jpg
Scarpa boot:
http://www.skitouren.com/ftp/Artikel...748_094_05.jpg

Florian
--
mail an "fanwander AT mnet MINUS online PUNKT de"

Old February 18th 04, 04:25 PM
Chris Webster

The upper side of the heel end of the Crispis sole is rounded, while the
heel ends of a Scarpa T1's sole (or of my LaSportiva Nepal Top) are
flat. Does the crampons lever sit tight in the nut of the sole or has it
to sit above the sole?

I'll leave the experts to comment on the specifics of your problem, but I
can tell you with certainty that this was also a problem on the
first-generation blue Scarpa T2s. This fact rendered my crampons, Charlet
Moser Black Ice with rapid fix attachment, useless.

I have 1st generation (2nd year) T2's and I use Charlet Moser crampons
just fine (not sure what model). While I'm not exactly sure what the
design issue of the boot is being discussed, the top of my T2 heel is
flat....

At the time, I queried around a bit, and was told that BD's Sabertooth
crampons worked with those boots. If they did, and I never confirmed that
this was the case, then I suspect that they'll work with the Crispis.

Pam uses BD sabertooth on same generation T2's.

BTW, my solution was two-fold: T1s never went to a fastback design, so my
crampons worked for them; recently, I bought a pair of the new-style T2s,
which have also returned to the welt style sole.

good luck,
john

Old February 19th 04, 08:55 AM
Florian Anwander

Hi John and others

thanks for the fast response.

At the time, I queried around a bit, and was told that BD's Sabertooth
crampons worked with those boots. If they did, and I never confirmed that
this was the case, then I suspect that they'll work with the Crispis.

BD is not easy to get here in Germany, but the "AustriAlpin Compact"
looks similar to the BD Sabertooth
(http://www.globetrotter.de/jpg_prod/j/jz73021-.jpg)

What do you think about trying to rasp the soles top to a flat form?

Florian

Old February 19th 04, 03:02 PM
John Red-Horse

In article ,
wrote:

BD is not easy to get here in Germany, but the "AustriAlpin Compact"
looks similar to the BD Sabertooth
(
http://www.globetrotter.de/jpg_prod/j/jz73021-.jpg)

This may be the case. I'd definitely suggest that you take your boots in
to a shop, and test them for a secure fit.

What do you think about trying to rasp the soles top to a flat form?

I've heard of people doing something similar with a dremel; proceed with
caution...

good luck,
john
Old February 26th 04, 01:57 PM
Peter Clinch

Florian Anwander wrote in message ...

I am thinking to change my crampons to a type with a heel lever based
binding. Does anyone here around know, whether a crampon with a heel
lever like the Grivel crampomatic fits to a Crispi CXA or CXR boot?

No, but what I can usefully say is that the Grivel G10 Wide fits the
duckbills on both my original T3s and 2000 T2s very well, without the
usual problem of most of the front points disappearing.

My G10W crampons don't have a heel lever (I use them on old leather
walking boots too) but the fitting uses Grivel's plastic heel and toe
cradles and they're very easy to put on quickly without turning your
fingers into numb puddings, which was always the problem with my old
Salewa Everests with traditional straps.

Nice piece of kit, no regrets buying them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Old February 26th 04, 02:16 PM
Florian Anwander

Hi John

I'd definitely suggest that you take your boots in
to a shop, and test them for a secure fit.

Of course I never would buy Crampons without having the boots in the
shop. But a fitting check in the shop is nothing compared to the
experience of some newsgroup wizzards ;-)

I bought now a Grivel G12, but I could not test it in real live, because
the weather was quite awful while the weekend trip to svizzerland, so we
had to cancel most of our tours.

I'll report my experience.

Florian

Old February 26th 04, 04:26 PM
Martin Thornquist

[ Florian Anwander ]

I bought now a Grivel G12, but I could not test it in real live,
because the weather was quite awful while the weekend trip to
svizzerland, so we had to cancel most of our tours.

So, was it loads-of-snow awful? :-)

Me and some friends fly into Grenoble Saturday and will drive around
for a week (nothing planned yet). We're searching for deep untracked
powder -- like everyone else, I guess. Any tips as to where in the
Alps it's best right now? We're hoping not to drive too far, but will
go where we need to.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old February 27th 04, 08:11 AM
Florian Anwander

Hi Martin

So, was it loads-of-snow awful? :-)

Regrettably not :-(

We stayed at Bivio (Julierpass). Friday and Saturday we had a
"Föhn"-storm, which pressed the rain horizontally into the faces.

Snow in the valley perhaps 30cm at the mountain around 60cm to 100cm.

Saturday afternoon we started for a short tour, but had to turn around,
since the sight was that bad. We could not estimate the steepness of the
slopes. Most of the snow was wind carried and pressed and our group
caused "woumm"-sounds in a flat meadow, so it definitely was urgent to
know the steepness.

On Sunday we wanted to do the Piz Lunghin or Piz dal Sasc close the
Septimerpass, but the clouds came down and the sight was close to a
whiteout. We turned over to the Roccabella, which we reached in the fog.
Skiing down the clouds raised, but the snow had become very wet
(temperatures at +6 degrees celsius) so skiing was not really fun.

Monday the clouds came down to the valley and we decided to drive back home.

Me and some friends fly into Grenoble Saturday and will drive around
for a week (nothing planned yet). We're searching for deep untracked
powder -- like everyone else, I guess. Any tips as to where in the
Alps it's best right now? We're hoping not to drive too far, but will
go where we need to.

Basically this winter the whole alps have enough snow. Monday and
Tuesday there where around 30cm of snow dumps with less wind. Conditions
should be good (avalanche risk is at level 2 in swizzerland).

Florian