NYC training

Old October 21st 04, 04:34 PM
Bob

Default NYC training

I'm going to be on Manhattan (staying on 17th street between 2nd and 3rd
Aves) for 10 days. Not wanting to gouge another hole in my training, I'm
thinking of bringing my running clothes. The closest place to run seems to
be a 1/2 mile away along the east river. Do any of you locals have a better
a suggestion? I guess the real question is: does it make sense to take a
train up to central park or to hike cross town to that big complex on the
Hudson (Chelsea piers) just to get in an hour or two of LSD? I would gladly
pay a day fee at a gym, but haven't found a flatiron or Chelsea one on the
web yet.

TIA,
Bob

Old October 21st 04, 10:17 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:34:06 -0700, "Bob"
wrote:

I'm going to be on Manhattan (staying on 17th street between 2nd and 3rd
Aves) for 10 days. Not wanting to gouge another hole in my training, I'm
thinking of bringing my running clothes. The closest place to run seems to
be a 1/2 mile away along the east river. Do any of you locals have a better
a suggestion? I guess the real question is: does it make sense to take a
train up to central park or to hike cross town to that big complex on the
Hudson (Chelsea piers) just to get in an hour or two of LSD? I would gladly
pay a day fee at a gym, but haven't found a flatiron or Chelsea one on the
web yet.

For running, try both the East River and Central Park (by cab or train
to the park) and see which you like. Central Park is really nice.
The east river is less interesting -- flatter -- though decent views.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 27th 04, 12:03 AM
PETER DOYLE

The East Side should work for you, although JFT's advice is certainly sound.
On the East Side, you can run along the FDR drive for a good distance in
either direction. When I was race walking years ago, I would come across the
Brooklyn Bridge and go north. There are a couple of places where you may
have to take to the streets for a short distance but, essentially, you can
run all the way up to Randall's Island.
In the other direction, going south will take you to Battery Park. Run
through BP, stay close to the water and go around the tip of the island,
come up the West Side to 17th and go home. It's a pretty run.
A neat but kind of "hilly" run is the two bridge (Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan
Bridge) run. Run east to the Park along the East River, run south until you
come to the BB - you'll be on the street under the FDR drive for the last
1/2 to 3/4 mile - then jog up (right/west) toward City Hall, Center Street.
The Br. Br. walkway starts at that point. (You could also run down Broadway
to Chambers Street and go left over to C.H and the bridge; easier but all
street). Run across the Bridge. Try glancing down through the wooden slats
while running. Whoa! On the Brooklyn side, stay right. Go all the way to the
end.. This is Tillary Street. Go left. The auto entrance to the Manhattan
Br. is a couple of blocks down. The pedestrian entrance is the block before.
You turn in left and run up a couple of short blocks and you will see the
steps up to the bridge walkway. It will let you off on Park Row in
Chinatown. At that point, you can run down to Worth Street and, right, over
to Broadway and then up to 17th St. Or you can make your way over east to
East River Park and go home that way. The bridge run is a neat way to see a
lot of "the undiscovered city." A good city map or a knowledgeable friend
will make all this a tad easier.
Pete
news