Utah The Canyons

Old August 25th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Fried

Default Utah The Canyons

Now looking for a possible trip to the Canyons in Utah. A friend
at work says the best way to stay is at Salt Lake City and rent
a car.

What is the drive like to the Canyons from Salt Lake
City?

Old August 25th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

On Aug 24, 7:30 pm, "Alan Fried" wrote:
Now looking for a possible trip to the Canyons in Utah. A friend
at work says the best way to stay is at Salt Lake City and rent
a car.

What is the drive like to the Canyons from Salt Lake
City?

We called it the "crayons". It's where the kiddies go to play. But
that's what skiing has become so what the hey. It's a three lane super
highway for 7/8 of the drive. The last 1/8 is only 2 lane (in each
direction) super highway. Steep grade though. On weekday mornings
there is a segment of the labor force that seems to drive beaten up
old cars, meant for 4 people with 8 people in them. They also have no
concept of "pass on the left, drive on the right". Very often the guy
going 30 is being passed by a guy going 30 who is also being passed by
a guy going 30. Throw in the clueless bitch (both male and female)
that think it's their job to make sure noone goes faster than they
think is safe and you have one hell of a morning drive.

I don't ski up there anymore. But drive most everyday to work. Take
some coffee and don't hurry. You'll get over it. Beats staying up
there and really getting reamed.

Old August 25th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ECLzi.316$0_2.195@trndny07,
"Alan Fried" wrote:

Now looking for a possible trip to the Canyons in Utah. A friend
at work says the best way to stay is at Salt Lake City and rent
a car.

What is the drive like to the Canyons from Salt Lake

I started doing that back when my friends and I were graduate student
types, and now that we're filthy rich, we still do that. We stay the
Crystal Inn in downtown Utah, easy walking distance to various excellent
local brew pubs as well as big chain type restaurants like Buca di Beppo
and P.F. Changs etc where you pay mainstream prices and not resort
prices. The Crystal Inn is clean, quiet and has free breakfast and free
internet and is not terribly expensive. When you feel like taking a day
off, you can walk to that fancy mall they built for the Olympics and
catch a movie.

The drive to the mountains is simple and also allows you to choose the
best mountain for *you* everyday, based on conditions of the day. I
stayed at Snowbird once and felt like I was trapped in some sort post
nuclear bunker. (Some people love the snow resort experience and I
don't mean to criticise their preference)

Pigo is a SLC local and there are other locals here as well. Speaking
as a tourist though, I've found the stay in SLC and drive to the
mountain everyday to work well for me. HTH. YMMV.

Dave
Old August 26th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goldsmiths

"Alan Fried" wrote:

[...]

I've probably skied Utah a dozen times over the years and always stayed in
SLC. It's an easy hop anywhere and certainly a better deal. I'm not a big
fan of The Canyons, though. Again, ymmv.

mg

Old August 26th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Alan Fried" wrote:

[...]

I believe "The Canyons" was the place a little down from Park City that I went
to a number of years ago after being bored to death by the groomed to death runs
at Park City and Deer Valley. It was called Wolf Mountain then if I remember
correctly. I had a much better time there. At the time, it was where the
snowboarders and telemarkers hung out it seemed. It had real bumps. And you
didn't have to wear $800 ski suits to fit in.

Bob

Old August 26th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:12:01 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote this crap:

I believe "The Canyons" was the place a little down from Park City that I went
to a number of years ago after being bored to death by the groomed to death runs
at Park City and Deer Valley. It was called Wolf Mountain then if I remember
correctly. I had a much better time there. At the time, it was where the
snowboarders and telemarkers hung out it seemed. It had real bumps. And you
didn't have to wear $800 ski suits to fit in.

So it's the low-rent district?

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old August 26th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_6_]

"Alan Fried" wrote:

Now looking for a possible trip to the Canyons in Utah. A friend
at work says the best way to stay is at Salt Lake City and rent
a car.

You can do that, but accommodation isn't too bad down the Canyons end of
town. The PC budget hotels are all around Kimball Junction, and there's a
lot of condos and apartments around there that aren't as pricey as the
"real" part of PC. Prices for all-season accommodation at the Canyons, and
around the corner at Pinebrook, tended to be cheaper than PC-proper, and
they've been building furiously on both sides of the highway. You should
at least check what's available at the resort (condos down near the
highway), and also at the chain hotels at Kimball. There's a free bus that
runs to and from there to the resort, and to PC-proper.

the drive up from SLC is done every day by many people... heaps of staff
live in SLC. It'd be a pain though, I reckon, especially if it's snowing.
Trucks seem to have great problems coming up and down Parley's and often
crash (or catch fire).

Do you have to ski the Canyons though? The other two are also worth skiing.

I started doing that back when my friends and I were graduate student
types, and now that we're filthy rich, we still do that. We stay the
Crystal Inn in downtown Utah, easy walking distance to various
excellent local brew pubs as well as big chain type restaurants like
Buca di Beppo and P.F. Changs etc where you pay mainstream prices and
not resort prices. The Crystal Inn is clean, quiet and has free
breakfast and free internet and is not terribly expensive. When you
feel like taking a day off, you can walk to that fancy mall they
built for the Olympics and catch a movie.

Is that the Crystal Inn down near Fort Union? (overlooking that highway that
appears to be built in a drain).

Probably isn't, none of those restaurants were near it! And that fancy mall
was Gateway.... pretty rotten shopping, I have to say. Fashion Place Mall
was better, and of course the magnificent Nordstrom Rack!

Dodging the weird fountains at Gateway is fun for about 5 minutes.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old August 26th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

"Alan Fried" wrote:

[...]

Well Alan, it looks like the short answer is YES. Stay in SLC but
don't limit yourself to the Crayons. There and Brighton should be the
last 2 on your list (unless you are 14 and snowboard).

Old August 26th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Fried

scammer/spammer

Well Alan, it looks like the short answer is YES. Stay in SLC but
don't limit yourself to the Crayons. There and Brighton should be the
last 2 on your list (unless you are 14 and snowboard).

Yes thanx for your help, I've looked into other resorts that sound good for
me.
I'm just learning how to feel comfortable in powder. I think Alta and Snow
Bird
would be a little out of my league at this time.

What do you think about Solitude and Snow Basin?

Thanx in advance

Alan

Old August 26th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

Alan Fried wrote:

I'm just learning how to feel comfortable in powder. I think Alta and Snow
Bird
would be a little out of my league at this time.

What do you think about Solitude and Snow Basin?

Solitude might be a good choice.
It has a much less intense feel than alta/snowbird.
It has interesting groomers and plenty
of ungroomed. If you stay on bus line
in SLC you won't need a car. Buy a
discounted bus/ski pass right from your motel.

-- Mike Treseler