e-mail list/news group

Old February 18th 05, 12:04 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

Default e-mail list/news group

I have gotten two responses from e-mail list members asking that we keep
the e-mail list going, and connected to the news group. If it's just two,
I know our administrators would urge me to agree to drop the e-mail list.
Not that the interests of two people (one of which started the list, low
those many years ago) are not important. And, of course, I will be sad to
see the list go away - I've been a member almost from the beginning, and
love to get the notes in my e-mail box.
If there are more of you out there who really want the list to continue,
or, more to the point, if there are any of you who, for some reason, can't
read the postings on the news group, please let me know. Otherwise,
unless some other person with access to an e-mail list server, who can
arrange the porting to and from the group wants to take this over, Hamline
will remove the list, and it will be no more.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old February 18th 05, 01:28 PM
Cloutier Jim

--0-1289312971-1108736460=:14274

Wow, I certainly don't want this list to go away. Count me in as a person who really enjoys getting the emails on a daily basis also. Please let me know what to do to have the 'powers that be' reconsider pulling the plug.

Thanks..................Jim Cloutier

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
[...]

Cloutier Concept & Design
13629 46th Street NE
St. Michael, MN 55376
(c) 612.386.3346
www.cc-d.com

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

--0-1289312971-1108736460=:14274

DIV
DIVWow, I certainly don't want this list to go away.  Count me in as a person who really enjoys getting the emails on a daily basis also.  Please let me know what to do to have the 'powers that be' reconsider pulling the plug./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVThanks..................Jim CloutierBRBRBIKenneth Salzberg >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"I have gotten two responses from e-mail list members asking that we keepBRthe e-mail list going, and connected to the news group. If it's just two,BRI know our administrators would urge me to agree to drop the e-mail list.BRNot that the interests of two people (one of which started the list, lowBRthose many years ago) are not important. And, of course, I will be sad toBRsee the list go away - I've been a member almost from the beginning, andBRlove to get the notes in my e-mail box.BRIf there are more of you out there who really want the list to continue,BRor, more to the point, if there are any of you who, for some reason, can'tBRread the postings on the news group, please let me know. Otherwise,BRunless some other person with access to an e-mail list server, who canBRarrange the porting to and from the group wants to take this over, HamlineBRwill remo!
ve the
list, and it will be no more.BR-KenBRBR*************************************** ********************BRKenneth Salzberg BRHamline University BRSchool of Law (651) 523-2354BR1536 Hewitt Ave.BRSisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104BR***************************************** *************************BRBRBRBRBRBR BR/BLOCKQUOTE/DIVBRBRPFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT color=#800000STRONGCloutier Concept & DesignBR13629 46th Street NEBRSt. Michael, MN  55376/STRONG/FONT/FONT/FONTFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT color=#800000STRONGBR(c) 612.386.3346BR/STRONGA href="http://www.cc-d.com/" target=_blankSTRONGFONT color=#003399www.cc-d.com/FONT/STRONG/A/FONT/FONT/FONT/P
PFONT face=arialFONT size=1STRONGFONT color=#800000"If a man does his best, what else is there?"/FONT/STRONG BR- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)/FONT/FONT/Pp
hr size=1Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Search presents - a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=30648/*http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/jibjabinaugural.html"Jib Jab's 'Second Term'/a
--0-1289312971-1108736460=:14274--

Old February 18th 05, 02:43 PM
Chris Cline

--0-1775861471-1108741296=:63060

Hi Ken-
Make me number three on the list of people who want to see the newsgroup keep going! I've been subscribed since the pleistocene (1994?), and RSN has been and continues to be a great source of technical advice, a sounding board for issues relating to competition and "skiing for life", and most importantly, a communication vehicle for an extended community of people who share much in common despite all of their differences. I think the remarkable absence of flame wars, and the generally civil way in which differences are discussed is testament to the value of the people who subscribe to this newsgroup, and the value they place upon it.

I hope that there's some way to keep the group going, even if the school decides to drop it. I'm a technical simpleton, but would something like a yahoo group work as well?

thanks for your efforts-
~Chris

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
[...]

DIVHi Ken-/DIV
DIVMake me number three on the list of people who want to see the newsgroup keep going!  I've been subscribed since the pleistocene (1994?), and RSN has been and continues to be a great source of technical advice, a sounding board for issues relating to competition and "skiing for life", and most importantly, a communication vehicle for an extended community of people who share much in common despite all of their differences.  I think the remarkable absence of flame wars, and the generally civil way in which differences are discussed is testament to the value of the people who subscribe to this newsgroup, and the value they place upon it./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI hope that there's some way to keep the group going, even if the school decides to drop it.  I'm a technical simpleton, but would something like a yahoo group work as well?/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVthanks for your efforts-/DIV
DIV~ChrisBRBRBIKenneth Salzberg >/I/B wrote:/DIV
[...]
BRHamline University BRSchool of Law (651) 523-2354BR1536 Hewitt Ave.BRSisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104BR***************************************** *************************BRBRBRBRBRBR BR/BLOCKQUOTEp
hr size=1Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29916/*http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250"Learn more./a
--0-1775861471-1108741296=:63060--

Old February 18th 05, 03:35 PM
VStachura

Count me as another who would like the list to continue. I've only
posted a few times but I look at the list just about every day just for
ski related info. I'm not sure how to access these postings otherwise.
I hope you can continue!

On Feb 18, 2005, at 7:03 AM, Kenneth Salzberg wrote:

[...]

V Stachura
Those are zero's not oh's

Old February 18th 05, 03:48 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Chris Cline wrote:

Hi Ken- Make me number three on the list of people who want to see the
newsgroup keep going! I've been subscribed since the pleistocene
(1994?), and RSN has been and continues to be a great source of
technical advice, a sounding board for issues relating to competition
and "skiing for life", and most importantly, a communication vehicle for
an extended community of people who share much in common despite all of
their differences. I think the remarkable absence of flame wars, and
the generally civil way in which differences are discussed is testament
to the value of the people who subscribe to this newsgroup, and the
value they place upon it.

It's up to 4 or 5 by now. One thing I should again explain for any who
are confused: the e-mail list ) is ported to
the news group (rec.skiing.nordic). As long as the system is working, all
the notes to the list appear on the group, and all the notes posted to the
group appear as e-mails to the list members. If the list ends, the group
will still be there, and, assuming you are willing to use a newsreader
(like Google groups), you will be able to read, and respond to, all the
traffic.

I hope that there's some way to keep the group going, even if the
school decides to drop it. I'm a technical simpleton, but would
something like a yahoo group work as well?

A yahoo group would work just fine, but. . . (we are in the process of
doing this for a small e-mail list I've been running for a group of local
skiers and hikers who get together every weekend for a training, and
talking, and coffee session). The problem is the porting. I have no idea
how or if you can arrange that with a Yahoo group. I know that changing
the porting service, which I had to do a few years ago, was not easy.

Old February 18th 05, 04:09 PM

Tug Hill Tourathon members in New York certainly would like to see this
list continued. It's an excellent source of national and international
skier-related items: technical help, race-related messages, where the
trails are, what the conditions are, equipment suggestions, etc.

For the cross-country skier, novice or expert, it presents a valuable
service.

CB

http://mail2web.com/ .

Old February 18th 05, 04:18 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Ken is talking about the function or option that allows individuals to
receive postings by e-mail (digest or individual), as opposed to reading
them via usenet or a web-based newsgroup reader (e.g., google). In
other words, the existence of the newsgoup itself is not in question,
just one of the methods for seeing posts.

The underlying problem is that ISP spam filters using blacklists,
especially AOL's, are causing havoc by improperly labeling good email as
bad -- either on their own or as the result of a user erroneously
reporting it to be spam -- and then blacklisting the domain (or server,
if I've got that right). This has been happening to a lot of e-mail
newsletters and has required countless hours to try to overcome or get
around. Although mislabeling can happen by accident (reporting/bouncing
a good email as spam by mistake), a more typical scenario poses the
catch-22: if the AOL user were smart enough to figure out how to
unsubscribe correctly (and thus not feel the need to report email as
spam), then they wouldn't be subscribing to AOL.

Gene

Old February 18th 05, 04:21 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Maybe I misunderstood (if a just posted reply to Chris). Are you
saying, possibly no more usenet? Or just no more sending of posts by
email? The former would be bad.

Gene

Old February 18th 05, 04:50 PM
Bob

a couple of minor corrections/elaborations:

"Kenneth Salzberg" wrote in message

It's up to 4 or 5 by now. One thing I should again explain for any who
are confused: the e-mail list ) is ported to
the news group (rec.skiing.nordic). As long as the system is working, all
the notes to the list appear on the group, and all the notes posted to the
group appear as e-mails to the list members. If the list ends, the group
will still be there, and, assuming you are willing to use a newsreader
(like Google groups), you will be able to read, and respond to, all the
traffic.

Google Groups isn't really a newsreader, but it a way to read news (did that
make any sense?). Google bought DejaNews a while back and (being google) is
a great way to search USENET (the news groups system's formal internet name)
for information that has been posted. Google's primary function here is to
archive the newsgroups (oh, and to sell advertising to show when you read
USENET through their web interface :-). Being essentially an archiving
service, Google is not as up-to-date as other (real) news servers. I don't
use Google to read and post because that lack of timelyness makes it
practically impossible to carry on a conversation in a news thread - by the
time I read a post and try to respond, the thread has gone off in some other
direction :-(

I *can* see how it could be convenient to use a web interface or to get
newsfeeds in digest form (e.g. a day's worth of posts in one big email each
day) or as individual emails (one per post) especially for people who aren't
sitting in from of an internet connected computer all day. I don't do any of
these things because of the "delay" and because I *am* connected to the
internet all day long.

I hope that there's some way to keep the group going, even if the
school decides to drop it. I'm a technical simpleton, but would
something like a yahoo group work as well?

A yahoo group would work just fine, but. . . (we are in the process of
doing this for a small e-mail list I've been running for a group of local
skiers and hikers who get together every weekend for a training, and
talking, and coffee session). The problem is the porting. I have no idea
how or if you can arrange that with a Yahoo group. I know that changing
the porting service, which I had to do a few years ago, was not easy.

-Ken

Setting up an effective new USENET group requires the approval of thousands
of individual news server admins. That is, each news server admin receives
many requests from new news groups a day. The admin can't carry them all
(and probably shouldn't try) so most of the attempts to establish a new
USENET group fail.

In contrast, Yahoo news groups are relatively easy to set up. That's their
strength. Yahoo groups are great for small (geographically, readership, or
both) interest groups. My neighborhood in San Jose (about one square mile)
uses one to great effect. However, I don't think they are designed to be a
relay for USENET. Yahoo is a separate system.

Good luck keeping your e-mail list going, Ken. The internet runs on the
commitment of people like you (and all the other admins, webmasters,
etc ---- you know who you are, Janne! :-).

Bob