NNN1 Boot compatibility with NNN2

Old March 4th 05, 11:07 AM
Joe Galloway

Default NNN1 Boot compatibility with NNN2

Will a boot with an NNN1 sole work with an NNN2 binding?
Thanks.
Joe
Old March 5th 05, 04:15 AM
Jeff Martin

Mark wrote:
Joe Galloway wrote:

Will a boot with an NNN1 sole work with an NNN2 binding?
Thanks.
Joe

The heel will be perched higher as the grooves don't go all the way back
on the NNN1 boot and I think you may experience less lateral control.
You might find the tippy toes position uncomfortable after a while (I'm
not sure about this though).

I have an extra question though - has anyone tried modifying NNN1 boots
by carving/grinding grooves in the heel to make them fit the NNN2
binding ? I'm considering doing this to an old pair of NNN1 alpinas and
would like advice before doing it !

NNN1 boot are not made to work with NNN2 bindings. The mounting bar is
located differently. Look for a pair on year end close out.
Old March 5th 05, 08:54 AM
Terje Henriksen

Jeff Martin wrote:
Mark wrote:

I have an extra question though - has anyone tried modifying NNN1
boots by carving/grinding grooves in the heel to make them fit the
NNN2 binding ? I'm considering doing this to an old pair of NNN1
alpinas and would like advice before doing it !

NNN1 boot are not made to work with NNN2 bindings. The mounting bar
is located differently. Look for a pair on year end close out.

It's no problems using NNN1 boots on NNN2 bindings. I did it last month of
last season and first month this season, because the iron bar on one of my
new boots broke. It's not as stable as NNN2 boots, but completely usable.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 5th 05, 09:49 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Mark wrote:

Joe Galloway wrote:
Will a boot with an NNN1 sole work with an NNN2 binding?
Thanks.
Joe

The heel will be perched higher as the grooves don't go all the way back
on the NNN1 boot and I think you may experience less lateral control.
You might find the tippy toes position uncomfortable after a while (I'm
not sure about this though).

I have an extra question though - has anyone tried modifying NNN1 boots
by carving/grinding grooves in the heel to make them fit the NNN2
binding ? I'm considering doing this to an old pair of NNN1 alpinas and
would like advice before doing it !

A less drastic mod would be to replace the NNN2 heelplate on the ski
with an old-style flat heelplate. Or even just remove it and not
replace it at all. It's surprising to discover how little it matters.

-Mitch

Old March 5th 05, 10:32 PM
Mark

Terje Henriksen wrote:
Jeff Martin wrote:

Mark wrote:

I have an extra question though - has anyone tried modifying NNN1
boots by carving/grinding grooves in the heel to make them fit the
NNN2 binding ? I'm considering doing this to an old pair of NNN1
alpinas and would like advice before doing it !

NNN1 boot are not made to work with NNN2 bindings. The mounting bar
is located differently. Look for a pair on year end close out.

It's no problems using NNN1 boots on NNN2 bindings. I did it last month of
last season and first month this season, because the iron bar on one of my
new boots broke. It's not as stable as NNN2 boots, but completely usable.

OK, so I cut out two grooves in each heel of the NNN1 boots last night
(hacksaw and cutter) and my wife used them this morning on Rottafella
NNN2 bindings. No problem, no discomfort, good control and stability.

By the way I checked and the steel bar IS in the same place as the NNN2
boot. Maybe Jeff is confusing them with the Pilot system or maybe the
NNN backcountry bindings - but I haven't seen the NNN BC bindings up
close so it's just a guess...
Old March 6th 05, 01:21 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Mark wrote:

By the way I checked and the steel bar IS in the same place as the NNN2
boot. Maybe Jeff is confusing them with the Pilot system or maybe the
NNN backcountry bindings - but I haven't seen the NNN BC bindings up
close so it's just a guess...

Nope, Jeff is right. If you hold an NNN1 boot and an NNN2 boot next
to each other you can see that they are not the same. On the 2 the bar
is a bit recessed from the front, whereas on the 1 it is right at the
very front of the boot. It's not a big difference but it's easily
visible.

-Mitch

Old March 6th 05, 01:40 PM
Jeff Martin

Mark wrote:
Terje Henriksen wrote:

Jeff Martin wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

No I'm not mixing the NNN boots with Pilot boots.
I've been skiing NNN boots and bindings for 20 years. If you take an
OLD NNN 1 boot and binding and a new NNN2 or NNN3 binding and boot you
will see that the metal bar on the newer boots is set back 10mm. The
orignal NNN boots had the metal bar right at the end of the toes. Also
the NNN1 boots were made with either a flat heel plate or were made with
a single groove in the heel where as the NNN2 and NNN3 bindings were
both made with 2 grooves in the heel of the boot. When the NNN2 binding
first came out you could get a different rubber flexor to use in your
NNN1 bindings. The front part of the sole of the NNN1 and NNN2/3 boots
are the same except for the location of the mounting bar. The
difference is at the heel as I stated before. Check with a good ski
shop like New Moon in Hayward, WI (home of the American Birkebeiner)
which I skied for the 17th time last Saturday, or check out a shop in
Minn called Gear West.
Could you use old boots with new bindings, with enough butchering of the
sole of the boot you could but they are not designed that way. There
are enough end of season sales going on that you can pick up a pair of
boots very cheap right now.
Old March 6th 05, 01:41 PM
Jeff Martin

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Mark wrote:

By the way I checked and the steel bar IS in the same place as the NNN2
boot. Maybe Jeff is confusing them with the Pilot system or maybe the
NNN backcountry bindings - but I haven't seen the NNN BC bindings up
close so it's just a guess...

Nope, Jeff is right. If you hold an NNN1 boot and an NNN2 boot next
to each other you can see that they are not the same. On the 2 the bar
is a bit recessed from the front, whereas on the 1 it is right at the
very front of the boot. It's not a big difference but it's easily
visible.

-Mitch

Mitch, how did you like the roller skis you got from me last fall?
Old March 6th 05, 09:38 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Jeff Martin wrote:

Mitch, how did you like the roller skis you got from me last fall?

Hi Jeff,

Well... I've only actually been on them twice so far. The first
time I immediately noticed two things: 1) I can't ski them in the
same boots I ski the rest of my rollerskis -- a very old pair of
Alpina skating boots, from the very first year of NNN2. They're
great boots and work fine everywhere else but the soles are too
flexible torsionally for me to keep on top of these skis. 2) One
of the skis doesn't track straight. Not sure if it came this way
new or if it's the result of a prior crash. I'm hoping a bike
mechanic friend can straighten it in his shop but haven't shown it
to him yet.

The 2nd time out I used a newer stiffer pair of boots and was able
to ski them fine other than the annoyance of the one ski drifting
off to the side.

Tomorrow I'm going in for shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator
cuff, so I'm not going to be using them for a few months. Am
planning to take them to the shop during that time. I'm really
looking forward to using them for hill repeats on the hills where
I live that are too long/steep to be safe for my hard wheel
rollerskis. I'm very impressed with the incredible speed reducers
on these skis.

-Mitch

Old March 6th 05, 11:33 PM
Mark

Jeff Martin wrote:
Mark wrote:

Terje Henriksen wrote:

Jeff Martin wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

OK, my first glance must have been too cursory (if thats the right
word), and comparing them more closely you ARE right. Please accept my
most humble excuses. It's not just the distance, on the boots I compared
it's also the profile of the sole at the front, if you see what I mean.

But personally, between forking out cash on a new (even on sale) pair
and mangling an old pair of boots otherwise valueless which are still
comfortable and warm I'd always choose the second option, at least first
anyway.

Yours behumbledly,