rsre duplication

Old October 27th 03, 09:49 PM
Alan LeHun

Default rsre duplication

In article , fn62
@dial.pipex.com says...

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I am
sure they must exist.

Indeed. Ali is a well accepted short name for Alistair (and it's various
spellings). Scotland is full of male Ali's, some of whom have red hair
and many more of whom have surnames beginning Mc or Mac.

--
Alan LeHun
Old October 27th 03, 11:11 PM
Sue

In message , MoonMan
writes

but I lost the childish desire to
slide downhill many years ago. I don't have much sympathy with the
retards who pay EUR 60 a day to play at being five year olds.

I love the way you insult an entire industry, perhaps you should grow up and
lose your teenage predjudices

NO!
It's in the interest of existing skiers to discourage newcomers. There's
only so much space in the Alps, you know, and would you want to share a
chalet with him? (No, but I might!)

Also, he's probably wrong about his motivation.
--
Sue ];(
Old October 28th 03, 12:02 AM
Colin Irvine

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:41:57 -0000, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:38:02 -0000, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

Ah. Gotcha! g

Ali

Me too. I can and I do. Sorry Molly.

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Sorry, you've lost me on that one.

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I am
sure they must exist.

They do indeed. Scottish footballers and skiers for a start!

I was about to advise you of Usenet protocol in respect of sig.
separators (two dashes followed by a space), but I see you're using
Outlook Express so I'd probably be wasting my time.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 28th 03, 12:39 AM
Alex Heney

wrote:

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message

snip

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Sorry, you've lost me on that one.

It's a sig separator.

Normally newsreaders are set up to put between the last line of actual
posting and the start of whatever signature the poster is appending.

then any decent newsreader, when responding, will automatically strip
anything after that line.

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I am
sure they must exist.

They are not uncommon, in my experience. Alistair is just a common a
name as Alison, and those are the two most common names (IME) to be
shortened to Ali.

To actually have a given name of Ali (as opposed to it being a
diminutive), I have never come across in either male or female except
in those of Asian or Middle Eastern extraction.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
INTERLACE: To tie two boots together.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 28th 03, 07:06 AM
Ali Hopkins

"Alan LeHun" wrote in message
In article , fn62
@dial.pipex.com says...

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a

man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I

am
sure they must exist.

Indeed. Ali is a well accepted short name for Alistair (and it's various
spellings). Scotland is full of male Ali's, some of whom have red hair
and many more of whom have surnames beginning Mc or Mac.

Hey, there's more female ones; my maiden name was McIntosh! Alison,
rather than Alastair, however. Serious point though; if in doubt, why assume
the poster is male? I use a gender neutral style of writing if I cannot be
sure of the poster's gender.

Ali

Old October 28th 03, 07:09 AM
Ali Hopkins

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message

I was about to advise you of Usenet protocol in respect of sig.
separators (two dashes followed by a space), but I see you're using
Outlook Express so I'd probably be wasting my time.

I still don't see your point. I do not use a .sig as I don't have the use
for one.

Ali

Old October 28th 03, 07:12 AM
Ali Hopkins

wrote:

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message

snip

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Sorry, you've lost me on that one.

It's a sig separator.

Normally newsreaders are set up to put between the last line of actual
posting and the start of whatever signature the poster is appending.

then any decent newsreader, when responding, will automatically strip
anything after that line.

Ah, that's why he lost me then. I was well aware of the use of a .sig
separator, but as I don't use a .sig, could not see what he was getting at.

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a

man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I

am
sure they must exist.

They are not uncommon, in my experience. Alistair is just a common a
name as Alison, and those are the two most common names (IME) to be
shortened to Ali.

It would be interesting to get the statistics on that. As I say, I've not
met an Alastair who called himself Ali, but hey.

To actually have a given name of Ali (as opposed to it being a
diminutive), I have never come across in either male or female except
in those of Asian or Middle Eastern extraction.
--

I have come across it in the US, but spelled "Allie" usually. And yes, I
have many male neighbours called Ali, but they are from further East than

Ali

Old October 28th 03, 07:24 AM
Molly Mockford

In article at 22:41:57 on
Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Ali Hopkins wrote:

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
.. .

Me too. I can and I do. Sorry Molly.

Accepted.

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Not much use giving those away. Try offering around some "-- "s
instead.
--
Molly
I don't speak for UKVoting. Hey, half the time I don't even speak for myself.
Old October 28th 03, 08:11 AM
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:41:57 +0000, Ali Hopkins wrote:

Oh, and Mr Hopkins - here's a spare "--".

Sorry, you've lost me on that one.

Oh, and as previously stated, I am not a chap. I've actually never met a man
called Ali with a surname that was *not* Asian or Middle Eastern, but I am
sure they must exist.

Ali

Look at your sig.
--