Colly Epic Chapter 3.8

Old March 9th 06, 03:23 AM

Default Colly Epic Chapter 3.8

Well today I awoke in my lux Silverthorne abode to the surprising sight
of sunshine and blue skies. Damn, they promised new snow today. After
a leisurely wake up and complimentary (it damn well better be)
breakfast, I made it to the Early Riser parking lot at ABasin just
before 11:00. After I had been sitting in my parking space for a few
minutes, a couple of snowboarder dudes parked in the front row, rode up
to their Jeep, lashed their boards and drove away. I was in their
space before their reverse lights went dim. Front row at the beach on
a potential powder day.

Around 11:30 the DJ chick on the local radio station incanted a few
apologies before she read the official snow advisory. The weather
nazis were warning of 6" ot 8" between 12:00 and 6:00. I glanced up at
the sky and thought, "hey, here's a good chance to snap a pic of Pali
Face with blue sky in the background."

Well, about fifteen minutes later the snow started coming down so I
comenced to putting my boots on. I was at the top at noon and damned
if it wasn't coming down to beat the smokin' band in my ears.

Oh, it was a good afternoon at the Basin. It's amazing what a couple
of inches of new will do for tracked, tracked, tracked bumps. By 2:00
there was an honest four inches of new and the place was dead. I think
I was sharing the Pali chairs with maybe 20 others. By 4:00 I'd say
the the 6" to 8" was fact not fear. Flabbergasted I was at the rate
the parking lot cleared out..........after it started snowing.

After last chair, the parking lot was definitely a small communiity.
Those who weren't at the ABasin bar were one in the clearing of snow
from their vehicles, stowing gear and jump starting of dead engines.

I've had some very good days in the last three weeks or so, but this
four hour span of dense snowfall rates as my best day in Colly so far.

Fave run: Thirteen Cornices. I just love skiing "fast" down steep
powder bumps.

Fave album: James Carter "Live at Baker's Keyboard Lounge." Damn
those cats swaaaaang!

Later,
Chris

Old March 9th 06, 04:35 PM

Basin Rocks! I'll be there this weekend.

TR: Colly Epic, Chapter 3.0 bumpfreaq Alpine Skiing 0 March 8th 06 12:00 AM
Colly Epic Chapter Two bumpfreaq Alpine Skiing 3 March 7th 06 05:21 PM
TR: Colly Epic bumpfreaq Alpine Skiing 3 March 5th 06 11:25 PM
Heel Push and Toe Push (Chapter 2) Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 0 September 16th 03 02:57 AM