A good omen for the season ahead

Old November 15th 05, 10:54 PM
Alan Baker

Default A good omen for the season ahead

Yesterday, I spent my first day working as a ski instructor at Cypress
Mountain, here in Vancouver.

I'd had might doubts about working so soon -- with the early opening, I
hadn't had time to put the snow tires on my car, and I hadn't yet bought
the black pants that were required to go with the ski school jacket, but
even so I was so excited that, the night before, I didn't drop off to
sleep until 1:30 in the morning, and in the morning, I still awoke a
full hour before my alarm was set to go off.

But, after dropping off again, when I re-awoke to my alarm at 7:15. And
what did I see from my bedroom window: the top of Cypress mountain; the
skies having cleared in the night. So my first day was going to be sunny
and clear.

The actual instructing was only so-so. One class of four absolute
beginners and then some very indulgent parents wanted their newly
3-year-old daughter (newly, as in, it was her birthday) to have a
private lesson, but that was fine with me. The parents only really
wanted a chance to see (and, naturally, videotape) their pride and joy
sliding down the hill, and that much I could manage. The absolute
beginners learned enough that I'm sure they'll come back.

And it all took place after I'd spent the morning skiing in the bright
sunshine!

So my year is off to a great start, and it only looks to get better:
Cypress is owned by the same group that owns Brighton in Utah, and I get
up to 10 days free skiing down there. Does anyone here have any opinions
on Brighton?

BG

Alan

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old November 16th 05, 12:55 AM
pigo

"Alan Baker" wrote in message

So my year is off to a great start, and it only looks to get
better:
Cypress is owned by the same group that owns Brighton in Utah, and
I get
up to 10 days free skiing down there. Does anyone here have any
opinions
on Brighton?

It's snowboard hell. But if that doesn't bother you give it a shot.

Let me know when you're here though. We'll drink some beers if
nothing else.

Old November 16th 05, 02:20 AM
Mike Treseler

Alan Baker wrote:

So my year is off to a great start, and it only looks to get better:
Cypress is owned by the same group that owns Brighton in Utah, and I get
up to 10 days free skiing down there. Does anyone here have any opinions
on Brighton?

Haven't been there, but it borders
my favorite, Solitude. Maybe you can ski
across and drop in.

-- Mike Treseler
Old November 16th 05, 04:45 PM

Mike Treseler wrote:
Alan Baker wrote:

So my year is off to a great start, and it only looks to get better:
Cypress is owned by the same group that owns Brighton in Utah, and I get
up to 10 days free skiing down there. Does anyone here have any opinions
on Brighton?

Haven't been there, but it borders
my favorite, Solitude. Maybe you can ski
across and drop in.

Just take the SolBright trail. Maybe you can swing a deal on a
combined pass? But Brighton isn't bad. Flattish, some short steep
shots mixed with some runout. Millicent Bowl being the exception. If
you catch a good day, you can do Elevator Shaft with a short
walk. It's a steep narrow chute that empties into Milli Bowl so if
open, is safe although you have to hike out of bounds to get there. If
you are avy savvy, there's the best access to the stuff that is
usually labeled "Alta Backcountry" in the magazines, Wolverine Cirque and
Tuscarora. Wolverine is Couloir Mecca. It's hard to find a magazine or
generic ski film that doesn't have some footage from there. Serious
avalanche terrain though.

Let me know if you come out. We can at least meet at Molly's for a
brew.

-klaus

Old November 16th 05, 09:01 PM

klaus wrote:
Mike Treseler wrote:
Alan Baker wrote:

So my year is off to a great start, and it only looks to get better:
Cypress is owned by the same group that owns Brighton in Utah, and I get
up to 10 days free skiing down there. Does anyone here have any opinions
on Brighton?

It's more of a cruiser mountain than some of the other offerings in the
SLC area. It offers free skiing for kids under 10, so you get more
families and kids (read snowboarders), but it's never been crowded when
I've been there. I like the place, but I'm more of a cruiser than a
steep maven. There are some really fun narrow trails through the woods.

Not much in the way of amenities & nightlife - Alta is a bustling
metropolis by comparrison - but that's not how I pick a hill.

I usually do a day at Brighton on my SLC trips because how can I resist
a place called "Brighton" that's run by the Boynes and full of
snowboarders? It just feels like home. (c:

I don't know that it would make sense to travel all the way to SLC and
ski *only* Brighton just because you have 10 free days. Chances are you
won't want to spend your whole vacation there, but a few days
interspersed with days at Alta & Solitude would make for a pretty
satisfying trip.

Haven't been there, but it borders
my favorite, Solitude. Maybe you can ski
across and drop in.

Just take the SolBright trail. Maybe you can swing a deal on a
combined pass?

Do you need the pass to ski the trail, or just to ride the lifts?

But Brighton isn't bad. Flattish, some short steep
shots mixed with some runout.

Let me know if you come out. We can at least meet at Molly's for a
brew.

I'll be there myself in a couple of weeks - Dec 9-13 to be precise.
That should give you enough warning to either hide or put out the
welcome mat.

//Walt
Old November 17th 05, 04:08 PM

Walt wrote:

Not much in the way of amenities & nightlife - Alta is a bustling
metropolis by comparrison - but that's not how I pick a hill.

I got 'chur amenities right here.

I usually do a day at Brighton on my SLC trips because how can I resist
a place called "Brighton" that's run by the Boynes and full of
snowboarders? It just feels like home. (c:

Cute grrls. Really cute grrls. Since they opened today, I may have to
make a trip up to Molly's and see what the new crop of waitresses is
like.

I don't know that it would make sense to travel all the way to SLC and
ski *only* Brighton just because you have 10 free days. Chances are you
won't want to spend your whole vacation there, but a few days
interspersed with days at Alta & Solitude would make for a pretty
satisfying trip.

It would certainly not make sense to only ski Brighton.

Do you need the pass to ski the trail, or just to ride the lifts?

Just to ride the lifts. If you just want to do to say you've done it,
you can take the Solitude Shuttle to the Brighton General Store where
you can either walk to Brighton Resort or take the Brightoin
Shuttle. You could also buy a couple single rides if you just want to
do a loop. Solitude only sells them in tens, but I'd be willing to
sell a couple singles.

Let me know if you come out. We can at least meet at Molly's for a
brew.

I'll be there myself in a couple of weeks - Dec 9-13 to be precise.
That should give you enough warning to either hide or put out the
welcome mat.

It gives me time to do the background check, so we should be
ok. There'll be another terror^H^H^H^H^H^Hrsa'er here then, but we'll
hopefully be in the BC, conditions permitting. But I also suspect
we'll be doing the bar tours as well as BC tours and there'll be the
Quality Deck Time starting at about 2:00 or so on sunny days.. E me
and I'll send you a phone number. You gonna have a 4x4? Although, if
you're skiing Solitude, you can just take a left at the "T" on the
return trail and we'll get you back to where you started, probably
just up the road in the new paved parking lot with the new lodge and
bar.

-klaus

Old November 17th 05, 04:42 PM

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

Let me know if you come out. We can at least meet at Molly's for a
brew.

I'll be there myself in a couple of weeks - Dec 9-13 to be precise.
That should give you enough warning to either hide or put out the
welcome mat.

It gives me time to do the background check, so we should be
ok.

Lies. All lies. I never said or did any of that stuff. Really.

There'll be another terror^H^H^H^H^H^Hrsa'er here then, but we'll
hopefully be in the BC, conditions permitting.

I know. We're already in kahoots. I owe him a Bells due to a dubious
wager we made about a month ago. (We both claim to have lost, so we're
both bringing beer)

You probably won't lure me into the BC (not that you'd want to), but if
you wind up spending any time in-bounds I'd be honored to take a few
laps . Otherwise we can meet after skiing at about beer-thirty.

I'll be in touch.

//Walt
Old November 17th 05, 06:12 PM

Walt wrote:
I know. We're already in kahoots. I owe him a Bells due to a dubious
wager we made about a month ago. (We both claim to have lost, so we're
both bringing beer)

You're bringing beer? Do you need a ride? Are you bringing grrls? If
so, I'll send a jet.

You probably won't lure me into the BC (not that you'd want to), but if
you wind up spending any time in-bounds I'd be honored to take a few
laps . Otherwise we can meet after skiing at about beer-thirty.

We could schedule a lift accessed BC day and take a few laps in bounds
before we head OOB. There are many options.

-klaus

Old November 17th 05, 09:02 PM

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

You're bringing beer?

But of course. As Karl Malden says: Don't leave home without it.

Do you need a ride?

Maybe. We're not renting a 4X4 so a lift up the "road" to your house
for quality deck time might be in order. Wouldn't want to risk
destroying your fence or anything trying to drive it myself...

Are you bringing grrls?

Only my wife. Unfortunately for you, I don't share. Sorry.

If so, I'll send a jet.

If you have any pull at Delta and can do anything to avert the pilot's
strike it would be most appreciated.

You probably won't lure me into the BC (not that you'd want to), but if
you wind up spending any time in-bounds I'd be honored to take a few
laps . Otherwise we can meet after skiing at about beer-thirty.

We could schedule a lift accessed BC day and take a few laps in bounds
before we head OOB. There are many options.

Sounds like a plan.

//Walt
Old November 17th 05, 09:20 PM

Walt wrote:
Maybe. We're not renting a 4X4 so a lift up the "road" to your house
for quality deck time might be in order. Wouldn't want to risk
destroying your fence or anything trying to drive it myself...

Fence? Hmmmmmm.. Nearest fence is.... hmmmm... This fence thing, would
that be to keep things in, or out? .... We got gates.. We got lots of
gates. Not a whole lotta fences.

-klaus