Ski waxing question No.2

Old February 29th 04, 08:09 PM
JP

Default Ski waxing question No.2

Can someone point me in the right direction of a site or something like
that, that can give instruction/guidance etc on waxing ski's for a beginner.

Many thanks again

Onion

Old February 29th 04, 09:04 PM
PG

"JP" wrote in message
| Can someone point me in the right direction of a site or something
like
| that, that can give instruction/guidance etc on waxing ski's for a
beginner.

| Many thanks again

Quite a few sites out there, but http://www.skifastwax.com/ explains it
all in quite an easy to understand way.....

Pete

Old February 29th 04, 09:06 PM
Simon Brown

My only comment is that it's a heck of a lot easier to let a shop do it as
they'll have the experience and they will also sharpen the sides of the skis
as well.

They will also check the bindings which is very important.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old February 29th 04, 09:38 PM
PG

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
| My only comment is that it's a heck of a lot easier to let a shop do
it as
| they'll have the experience and they will also sharpen the sides of
the skis
| as well.
|
| They will also check the bindings which is very important.

Easier, true, but apart from it being cheaper to get your own equipment,
it's a useful skill to acquire and I just reckon my skis are better
looked after that way. I feel pretty much the same way about the
bindings. In the Vietnamese opp the Bourg St Maurice station today there
was a lost-looking English bloke with a young kid in tow, leg in
plaster. They were in Val for the season, but early in Jan the lad had
taken a nasty fall, ending up with a bad fracture just below the knee.
The weight adjustment was fine, but not the toe/heel setting which was
too tight. Binding didn't release, lever effect, and "crack".... at 5
years old too, kids that age with their pliable bones usually get away
with it.

So as you say, ensuring the bindings are set correctly is crucial.

Pete

Old February 29th 04, 09:50 PM
Simon Brown

"PG" wrote in message

Easier, true, but apart from it being cheaper to get your own equipment,
it's a useful skill to acquire and I just reckon my skis are better
looked after that way. I feel pretty much the same way about the
bindings. In the Vietnamese opp the Bourg St Maurice station today there
was a lost-looking English bloke with a young kid in tow, leg in
plaster. They were in Val for the season, but early in Jan the lad had
taken a nasty fall, ending up with a bad fracture just below the knee.
The weight adjustment was fine, but not the toe/heel setting which was
too tight. Binding didn't release, lever effect, and "crack".... at 5
years old too, kids that age with their pliable bones usually get away
with it.

So as you say, ensuring the bindings are set correctly is crucial.

Ah, maybe I should have prefixed my statement with ensuring that you know
the shop's competence. In my case Adrian at Foppa Sport in Laax really does
know his stuff inside out and I would be wasting my time doing it myself.
But I understand you or anyone else wanting to do it themselves. I'm lazy if
the truth has to be told.

I know that a few years ago a person servicing skis somewhere round here had
just changed job. Previously she was a waitress and had *no* experience of
servicing skis. A few days of training and she was in charge :-(
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old March 1st 04, 07:10 AM
Ian Spare

PG wrote:

Easier, true, but apart from it being cheaper to get your own equipment,
it's a useful skill to acquire and I just reckon my skis are better
looked after that way. I feel pretty much the same way about the

I'm not sure a shop is any easier, for me at least. I find it hard to
find a window to get ours done, much easier to do them at home.

bindings. In the Vietnamese opp the Bourg St Maurice station today there
was a lost-looking English bloke with a young kid in tow, leg in
plaster. They were in Val for the season, but early in Jan the lad had
taken a nasty fall, ending up with a bad fracture just below the knee.
The weight adjustment was fine, but not the toe/heel setting which was
too tight. Binding didn't release, lever effect, and "crack".... at 5
years old too, kids that age with their pliable bones usually get away
with it.

So as you say, ensuring the bindings are set correctly is crucial.

Quite, I have mine done in Austria using torque meters, I suspect that
over 50% of people have them set wrong which includes the idiots with
DIN settings too low whose skis come whistling past your ear on some
runs. As another example someone we were skiing with last week tore his
ACL on the first day, on the first lift he asked me if he should have
had the binding adjusted for his new boots, I didn't see the fall that
injured him and his description is vague but I have to wonder, either
way it's not something to be that casual about.

Old March 1st 04, 10:51 AM
PG

"visionset" wrote in message

| "Ian Spare" wrote in message
|
| over 50% of people have them set wrong which includes the idiots
with
| DIN settings too low whose skis come whistling past your ear on some
| runs.
|
| I'm 6'1" & 75kg I rent at present and they always dial them up to
about DIN
| 7. I promptly dial them down to 5.5
| I guess I fall in to your idiot category, though mine don't pop off at
| random. I came to the figure of 5.5 as the one where I can do
something
| daft and not risk ligament or tendon damage. If I ski any more
aggressively
| I guess that figure will go up accordingly.
| I am suporised there is so much discrepancy. Although they are my
legs
| thankyou very much, the view of MY setting seems to be in the
minority.
| This is over many sets of bindings so I can only assume they are more
or
| less calibrated correctly.

Surely if they don't come off in the wrong place at the wrong time, then
they're set correctly, in which case you don't fall into Ian's 'Idiot
Category'?
Pete

Old March 1st 04, 02:51 PM
Ian Spare

visionset wrote:
"Ian Spare" wrote in message

over 50% of people have them set wrong which includes the idiots with
DIN settings too low whose skis come whistling past your ear on some
runs.

I'm 6'1" & 75kg I rent at present and they always dial them up to about DIN
7. I promptly dial them down to 5.5
I guess I fall in to your idiot category, though mine don't pop off at

Nice try, sounds like you don't though :-) The combination of DIN too
low and run too hard is the one I mean.

Old March 1st 04, 05:11 PM
Simon Brown

Hi,

If you do set your skis to 5.5 you could end up on a manslaughter charge if
they come off and kill someone. I am not joking about this. This is why you
have insurance - you do have third party?

Three recent examples:

[1] Last week someone in the ski school fell on one of his own skis which
had come off and he almost bled to death.

[2] Another had an accident and sliced his nose off - was helicoptered out.

[3] Today a snowboard (no boarder) almost decapacitated a friend, it missed
his nut by about 1 meter travelling like a rocket.

The big problem is that these newer carving skis are so bloody sharp it's no
joke any more.

How do I know what I'm on about? A mate is the senior lawyer in the Canton,
we've discussed this at length.

Apart from anything else if your bindings are working properly then they
will come off at 7 if needed. At 5.5 you risk one coming off when not
desired and having an accident as a result.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old March 1st 04, 06:00 PM
Sarah

visionset wrote:
"Ian Spare" wrote in message

over 50% of people have them set wrong which includes the idiots with
DIN settings too low whose skis come whistling past your ear on some
runs.

I'm 6'1" & 75kg I rent at present and they always dial them up to about DIN
7. I promptly dial them down to 5.5
I guess I fall in to your idiot category, though mine don't pop off at
random. I came to the figure of 5.5 as the one where I can do something
daft and not risk ligament or tendon damage. If I ski any more aggressively
I guess that figure will go up accordingly.
I am suporised there is so much discrepancy. Although they are my legs
thankyou very much, the view of MY setting seems to be in the minority.
This is over many sets of bindings so I can only assume they are more or
less calibrated correctly.

Interesting... I'm 50 kg and I've noticed that in the Alps my DIN
setting is generally around 4, while on the dry slope in the UK it's
generally around 5.

My skis practically never come off, which makes me think I should use
4 all the time, especially on a dry-slope where you really want to
err on the cautious side. I'm not an aggressive skier and I also
don't do much off-piste.

By the way, feel free to recommend a good place/instructor to learn
off-piste techniques in/from.

-Sarah