How fast have you gone on rollerskis?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 15th 04, 10:29 PM
Chris Esposito

Default How fast have you gone on rollerskis?

Hi,
A few weeks a go I got a Garmin Forerunner 201 (a wrist-worn GPS
unit) from my wife as a 12th anniversary present. Quite a neat little
gadget.

I was out rollerskiing with a friend yesterday and we did a few informal
double-poling maximum speed tests. The terrain was straight, flat, and
the trail we were on (the Sammamish River trail, north out of Marymoor
Park in Redmond, WA) was largely deserted except for us and the
occasional walker or runner. The person wearing the unit would double
pole for a minute or so, looking at the speed readout at the end of the
interval, and during it if they could manage to sneak a peek. The
highest speeds I saw for me were 15.9 MPH, 16.6, and 16.1 MPH.

In various books and articles written by US ski team members (Endless
Winter, Momentum, etc.) I think I have seen comments that these folks
have gone in excess of 30 MPH on downhills. Is this really the case? I
can't imagine going that fast on rollerskis downhill; not with the
pavement monster just waiting to take big bites out of any flesh that
comes its way. Anybody else know their maximum rollerski speed, on
either flat or downhill?

Chris