WCSN has Tour de Ski

Old January 11th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default WCSN has Tour de Ski

Finally broke down and subscribed when I saw the Jan 7 climbs. Quite
something. Amazing how Angerer and the others can stay on the same
side for so long. Other events are there too. Announcers - Peter
Graves and someone else - are not like the Eurosport crew, but very low
key and not particularly informative. Just sort of there. Btw, on the
page for Jan 6-7 at Val de Fiemme, both men's races are there but the
women's event for 1/7 is duplicated from 1/6. They are working on
correcting that. The video also suffers from the small image box to full
screen, which are the only two choices.

Note to Ken: relative to your videos, if you want some good images of
know how to V1 and up steep hills in particular, take a look that the
men's race. The strokes are necessarily shorter, but the set up is the
same.

rm
Old January 12th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Just watched it as well. Never thought I would see so much single sticking
in a world cup race. Angerer didn't appear to single stick at all but his
weak side ski had zero glide on the steepest stretches. The camera angle on
some of the climb really, for once, gave you a feel for how steep it was,
VERY steep for skis.

Agreed that the commentators don't add too much but at least they are not
adding idiotic comments. Sounds like they will be announcing all season,
maybe they will improve.

Overall WCSN seems to be working out their bugs and the 4.95 a month is
probably worth it.

DMK

Old January 12th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

WCSN beats the cost of cable TV, even if I can't lay on the sofa to
watch. Peter Graves is a long-time, celebrated course announcer. See
http://www.fasterskier.com/news37.html for an interview. He's
knowledgeable of the sport but doesn't give much sense of insider
knowledge. What caught my attention about Angerer and also Virpi
Kuitunen is how they did a very steady, upright V1, taking half strokes
and short skates, without going deep into their legs. The off skate
didn't matter so much as long as they maintained that slow, steady
pole side tempo, moving forward while keeping their HRs in check.

I'm don't see how the pursuit style start for the last stage made a lot
of sense, especially on that course. Maybe they were trying to deal
with low snow conditions and that they had to ski on a narrow strip of
snow for much of the first part. But was that the reason why, or was the
format decided in advance? It's not something they'd do in the bike
Tour.

rm

"Dave M-K" wrote:

Just watched it as well. Never thought I would see so much single sticking
in a world cup race. Angerer didn't appear to single stick at all but his
weak side ski had zero glide on the steepest stretches. The camera angle on
some of the climb really, for once, gave you a feel for how steep it was,
VERY steep for skis.

Agreed that the commentators don't add too much but at least they are not
adding idiotic comments. Sounds like they will be announcing all season,
maybe they will improve.

Overall WCSN seems to be working out their bugs and the 4.95 a month is
probably worth it.

DMK
. ..

Old January 13th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Would all athletes have consiously worked on the steepnes of this particular
hill to feel confident of knowing their best tactic to go uphill fast? Look
show the Russian men went up faster than the others, perhaps THEY did some
specific training for it. Perhaps the other just winged it, figuring it
would be their lungs giving in anyways?

Think the idea of the pursuit style was to have a clear victor of the whole
tour, right there at the top of the mountain, on the finish line. Who gets
there first, takes it all. Pretty fair, and IMO an advantage for those back
in the standings (like a second or 3rd place). Catch up, take it easy, win
the sprint to the line, if Angerer and Kuitunen hadn't been in such
extraordinary shape, it could have been that simple.

schreef in bericht

"Dave M-K" wrote:

Just watched it as well. Never thought I would see so much single

sticking
in a world cup race. Angerer didn't appear to single stick at all but

his
weak side ski had zero glide on the steepest stretches. The camera angle

on
some of the climb really, for once, gave you a feel for how steep it was,
VERY steep for skis.

Agreed that the commentators don't add too much but at least they are not
adding idiotic comments. Sounds like they will be announcing all season,
maybe they will improve.

Overall WCSN seems to be working out their bugs and the 4.95 a month is
probably worth it.

DMK
. ..

Old January 15th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

I'm having a hard time getting the Tour de Ski videos on WCSN to come
up ??? ANyone else have problems or is it just me? Maybe my
connection speed and firewall are causing problems at work here and I
need to wait till i get home?? I'd sure like to use work time to view
these if possible !! All work and no play makes Jeff a dull boy.

Jkal.

Old January 15th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Yup it is ...... back at home now and all working well.
WCSN RULEZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
easier than torrent bologna and fast, no download !!
no hard drive space taken up !!

I can watch REAL WORLD CUP AGAIN !!
YEEEEEEEE haaaaaaaaaaaa

JKal.

wrote in message
must be work set up

Old January 15th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Note the final climb torrent (men) is Eurosport, as are many of the
other recent torrents (thanks!).

"32 degrees" wrote:

Yup it is ...... back at home now and all working well.
WCSN RULEZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
easier than torrent bologna and fast, no download !!
no hard drive space taken up !!

I can watch REAL WORLD CUP AGAIN !!
YEEEEEEEE haaaaaaaaaaaa

JKal.

wrote in message
. ..
must be work set up

"32 Degrees B" wrote:

I'm having a hard time getting the Tour de Ski videos on WCSN to come
up ??? ANyone else have problems or is it just me? Maybe my
connection speed and firewall are causing problems at work here and I
need to wait till i get home?? I'd sure like to use work time to view
these if possible !! All work and no play makes Jeff a dull boy.

Jkal.

Interview with Atomic after the Tour de Ski [email protected] Nordic Skiing 2 January 12th 07 06:13 PM
Tour de Ski dardruba Nordic Skiing 1 December 5th 06 03:38 PM
WTB: NNN tour boots size 10 men, NNN bindings, 205 tour skis [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 January 20th 05 02:20 AM
Royal Gorge perimeter - long tour California Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 0 March 5th 04 03:41 AM
Duotone Tour split boards? Jase Roberts Snowboarding 1 February 3rd 04 07:51 AM