Scratch one snowboarder

Old January 2nd 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Scratch one snowboarder

On 01/01/2011 05:30 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/31/10 10:41, Bob F wrote:

pigo wrote:
Mine says "stopped in middle of run". And it appears that the helmet
issue was in question but now it's determined that she was wearing
one.

Where exactly is it appropriate for someone who loses their equipment
to stop?
Most people choose a spot very near where they lose their equipment,
if they
have any choice.

You gather up your stuff as quickly as you can and you get the hell over
to the side. You DON'T stay out in the middle to rest or chat or take
pictures or whatever the hell else you might do besides gathering up
your stuff as quickly as you can and getting the hell over to the side.

That's the ideal and what your or I would do. But consider. If you
have only lost a ski and it's close by, it is probably quicker to
put the ski back on to get to the side of the trail. If you have
lost anything else and it's not close by, you have no choice but
to retrieve the lost items.

Then, those who regularly fall and need to rise or need to rise,
collect equipment and put it back on are usually those who don't
have enough experience to know there is danger from above.

Whether I'm working or not, I will stop above a downed skier and
wait and guard his/her back while she/he collects him/herself and
moves on.

If it's a snowboarder stopped sitting in the middle of the trail
facing downhill, I will stop and in my sternest voice recommend
that for his/her own safety he/she stand up and move on or at
least move to the side of the trail to smoke that cigarette in a
location where he/she can see up the hill.

At Killington I'm within my rights to do this and have
management back me up if someone complains. Management in this
case would be head of ski patrol first who is good at explaining
to people why they are stupid without angering them. He's good.

It seems to me to be fairly easy to get skiers to stop at the
side of the trail. It seems almost natural. If a snowboarder
is in a little trouble, he will begin to heel skid wherever he
is, and frequently loose balance to the rear and sit down.
From that position and location (facing downhill and anywhere)
will light up a cigarette with an "I meant to do that" attitude.

I have many friends who ride. The are all good riders and have
paid their dues. Many are converts from skiing (I have pity
on them). But they know the etiquette and self-preservation
behavior of the hill. They would no more sit facing downhill
in the middle of the trail than I would.

However, after 3 days of experience and (I hope) lessons, most
any athletic person can ride a snowboard from the top of most
any ski area and get down adequately. Snowboard is said to
be hard to learn, but the learning curve once you 'get it' is
very steep. You get technically proficient rapidly and don't
get a chance to pay your dues along the way like skiers do
with a gentler learning curve and more time to watch what others
who have more experience do and say.

I think there ought to be a way where if we see someone doing
something stupid on the hill where we can issue a citation
and clip a ticket. The only way to get the ticket back is to
sit through a safety indoctrination of varying length. The
length varies according to the number and severity of the
'offenses'

You won't stop all 'accidents' this way, but I think it would
go a long way toward reducing the incidence of collision type
crashes.

By the way there are no accidents only inappropriately applied
force. So calling them "crashes" is calling a spade a spade.

It sounds like the kid was wearing a helmet, but it sounds like it may
not have
been proper attached, not that that would have made any difference.

"Internal injuries" probably doesn't mean something that a helmet would
help.

Old January 2nd 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Bull****.

Then, those who regularly fall and need to rise or need to rise,
collect equipment and put it back on are usually those who don't
have enough experience to know there is danger from above.

One thing for su you know there is danger if you ever try to make
good on your death threats.

Whether I'm working or not, I will stop above a downed skier and
wait and guard his/her back while she/he collects him/herself and
moves on.

Bull****. You're not that considerate. You're a psychopathic
pathological liar.

If it's a snowboarder stopped sitting in the middle of the trail
facing downhill, I will stop and in my sternest voice recommend
that for his/her own safety he/she stand up and move on or at
least move to the side of the trail to smoke that cigarette in a
location where he/she can see up the hill.

Oooooooohhhhhhh. You have a stern voice? I can't wait to hear it.
What is it, a squeak like a chipmunk?

At Killington I'm within my rights to do this and have
management back me up if someone complains. Management in this
case would be head of ski patrol first who is good at explaining
to people why they are stupid without angering them. He's good.

Rights are kewl. If I ever see you in real life, since you have
threatened my life, I will be delighted to show you what I am within
my rights to do to you.,

Goggle Lens Materials and Scratch Resistance [email protected] Alpine Skiing 3 January 2nd 07 04:05 PM
Death by Snowboarder rosco Alpine Skiing 240 March 13th 05 05:19 AM
Death by Snowboarder root Snowboarding 7 March 4th 05 06:15 PM
Snowboarder Dead :-( Simon Brown European Ski Resorts 23 January 10th 05 10:16 PM
Snowboarder Learning to Ski [email protected] Alpine Skiing 8 December 19th 04 07:32 AM