I've Skied This

Old October 10th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

Default I've Skied This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbvb07B9uFI

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old October 10th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbvb07B9uFI

So?

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

And you still haven't figured out what a sig delimiter is for...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old October 10th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Which part?

Old October 11th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Richard Henry wrote:
Which part?

The part where you stand around and brag about it.

//Walt
//
/
Old October 11th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Oct 10, 1:29 pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbvb07B9uFI

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Would you like a little gold-star sticker ?

Old October 12th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Jeff Davis wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbvb07B9uFI

And I've skied this:

http://travelguide.all-about-switzerland.info/swissalpineresorts/matterhorn-zermatt-4328.jpg

So what ?
Old October 12th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
D.

BIG ****ING DEAL !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 12th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:

Cool, nice lookin' line. So how do you know it's safe when you use the
tram to whisk you almost a mile above the valley floor and your approach is
bootin' it along a ridge up to (near) the peak?

It's an honest 55 degrees immediately below the summit ridge. The starting
zone is steep enough that insability is usually resolved by sloughing off
natually. There is snow on north aspect of the Tetons now to 9000'. We
watch early snow. By Thanksgiving, we'll know if we have deep instabilty
problems on north aspects. Rod Newcomb will give his pit data presentation
at the Avalanche Awareness night at Snow King.

We watch the snow. We have a relatively homogenous snow pack or not. The
Avalanche Lab publishes comprehensive forecasts daily during the ski season.
It is not safe. Each of us makes a decision based on accurate information and
experience. It's an acceptable risk, or it is not.

Is there usually a cornice you can trundle near the entrance?

Four Shadows is conrniced at the summit ridge. It can be a 10 to 20' huck.
Toward the eastern edge, the cornice is less pronounced. It's easier there
to slip into it transversely. I always ski natural avalanche chutes like
they are going to slide. When everything starts moving, I have a much
more strategic chance of survival if I'm already headed toward the edge
of the slide. That is a fact of my experience. Not something I read in
some one's book.

I think the recent BD catalog has a pic of Cody peak, with a nice crown
line going all the way across the bowl.

No Name slid in '99 a week before the Powder 8's. It was a climax avalanche
with a 3 meter crown fracture. The jhavalanche.org web site shows the
results of a hand bomb on the corresponding shoulder of Cody Peak immediately
north of No Name. The Powder 8's were cancelled. Those aspects that slid
natually and as a result of control were 45 degrees at best, and a little
less.

Starting zones with a 55 degree inclination are much less likely to hold a
load for a latent release. But it does happen. There are no absolutes. Only
good judgement. Good judgement comes from direct observation of the 2007-08
snowpack as it falls and settles.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."
Old October 12th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:

http://www.biglines.com/photos/norma...ines_52503.jpg

Top of the tram is near where the pic is taken from? Or way out there
under the Rendezvous Peak tag?

The shot is south of gate 2, out of bounds. It's approximately above Zero G
and south of Space Walk, two chutes in the cliff line below this ridge.

I was walking up to Fred's house after a ski day a couple years ago and got
charged by a momma moose in the middle of Teton Village. I think he's still
fhemmer209. They had a nice 4 bedroom for their trip on his buddy's package
deal. I think the deal with moose is you have to know how to talk to them.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old October 12th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kurt Knisely

(Jeff Davis) wrote in
:

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:

http://www.biglines.com/photos/norma...ines_52503.jpg

Top of the tram is near where the pic is taken from? Or way out there
under the Rendezvous Peak tag?

The shot is south of gate 2, out of bounds. It's approximately above
Zero G and south of Space Walk, two chutes in the cliff line below
this ridge.

Can't see any of that from the trail maps, eh? What's with this trail map
anyway? Why is there a line around Cody peak? Is it controlled/patrolled,
or does that line mean "hike to OB terrain"? You have to boot it or skin
from bottom of Cody bowl to get back in-bounds (other than skiing down Rock
Springs Bowl)?

http://www.jacksonhole.com/JacksonAs...ezvous_map.jpg

JH is making it seem like part of the ski area (which it is...sorta).

Is there another map/pic with more of the ski lines drawn in? I'll check
the JH Avie page.

-K

Anyone skied indoors? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 15 November 8th 06 05:19 PM
The Man Who Skied Down Everest Mike Y Alpine Skiing 1 September 6th 06 10:15 AM
Anyone skied in Dubai? [email protected] European Ski Resorts 1 August 22nd 06 10:02 AM
Where I skied scottabe Alpine Skiing 2 January 5th 04 03:09 PM
Have you ever skied in England ? Enotrio Pallanzo European Ski Resorts 23 September 25th 03 06:35 AM