Up to 18 feet and counting.

Old January 2nd 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Up to 18 feet and counting.

On 01/02/2011 01:31 PM, NormG wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
NormG wrote:
"Wayne wrote in message
. ..
This may go down as the wettest winter on record for us. We are at
18 feet and it is still storming here in the Eastern Sierra.

In other issues: Someone commented that the most common skier
injury was a broken or "messed up" thumb. I suspect this is due to
those "pistol grips". If you guys have other info, please elucidate.
I'm not talking about the new ones with the guards to help deflect
the gates--I haven't tried them, since I'm not a racer. One of the
few skiers I take serious constructive criticism from (Richard
"Dick" Williams--who must be 80 now) insisted I get rid of mine
years ago. Not only do they risk injury to thumbs but they cause
you drop your shoulder as you plant your pole--taking you off
balance.

http://physiobench.com/articles/39/S...-and-Treatment

A lot of skiers I see don't have their pole straps on. I don't know
if no one teaches them how to wear them or if they like having
''yard sales".

Pole straps are a good way to cause injuries to the shoulder.
Particularily if you spend any time in or near trees. First time I
cat skied one of the first instructions the guide gave us (after the
Avi course) was "No Pole Straps".

Lose your poles, and you don't have a chance of performing a ski pole
arrest on icy surface falls.

I've always believed skiing should be fun. I don't find skiing on ice to be
fun and avoid it at all costs. Trees and powder on the other hand are a
great deal of fun. My likelyhood of beer before 4PM is inversely
proportional to the depth of new snow.

Well Norm, I guess you are not an EasternSkier(tm). If you
were you would and could have fun wherever you find it.
First. I've seen what you guys call "ice". We call it
"Packed Powder" or if it's had a thaw-freeze cycle or
two, "Boiler Plate". We find that most often very
pleasurable skiing. It's really easy to turn, and if
you don't get going way to fast toward the trees, it
doesn't tire you out like the more western varieties
of snow surfaces.

Kidding of course. I really like skiing out west. Yes,
even in the Pacific Northwest with Cascade Concrete. LAL
showed me some Sierra Cement one day that I couldn't
buy a turn in. That was OK though, it was so sticky I
didn't need to turn anyway.

Oh, and around here, It ain't ice unless you can see
a fish through it.
Old January 2nd 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
NormG

"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I realize that and if that was all I could ski without getting on an
airplane I'm almost certain I would make the necessary adjustment and find
ways to enjoy it. But thats not the case and for that i am grateful.

Old January 3rd 11, 03:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:54:35 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

and also helps when something yanks the pole.

That's Trunky's specialty.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 3rd 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jan 2, 8:07*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:54:35 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

and also helps when something yanks the pole.

That's Trunky's specialty.

Hey, how about you show up in person and we'll find out who yanks
poles? Sun Valley this week? Park City next week? You could mooch a
couch off Dickless Bob, Dickless Horvie. Prove you are a man, not a
pppppppuuuuuusssssssyyyy.
Damn, this is fun.

Day 3,153 and Counting Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 11 December 21st 06 10:56 AM
Day 3,150 and counting..... Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 8 December 13th 06 12:40 AM
Really hot feet luke Alpine Skiing 40 May 4th 06 01:25 PM
four feet? lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 0 April 3rd 06 05:01 PM
Day 140 and counting pigo Alpine Skiing 3 August 4th 04 09:22 PM