Flow Bindings Vs. Strap Bindings

Old March 10th 05, 12:15 PM
Colin McAlpine CS2001

Default Flow Bindings Vs. Strap Bindings

Hey, I'm looking to get my first real set up and was looking to see if
anyone could shed any light on how good flow bindings are versus strap
bindings. i'm looking at getting the Amp5 FR.

Cheers,

OLi
Old March 10th 05, 01:45 PM
Joe Blanchard

I can't really make a comparison because Flow's were and are my only
bindings, but let me tell you...I get asked so many questions while boarding
about my bindings, especially as I get off the lift and slide my back foot
in (while standing), and easily lifting the binding's back, locking me in,
and boarding away.

At 45yrs old, I've lost a little flexibility and with my Flows I never spend
any "butt time" strapping in.

Again...not a good comparison, but for me they're so comfortable and easy.

If you get a set, be prepared to talk about 'em.

--
Joe B.

Old March 10th 05, 03:55 PM
root

"Colin McAlpine CS2001" wrote in message
Hey, I'm looking to get my first real set up and was looking to see if
anyone could shed any light on how good flow bindings are versus strap
bindings. i'm looking at getting the Amp5 FR.

Cheers,

OLi

Im wondering how I can demo a pair before the season ends so I know what to
buy next year. Im in Utah, anyone know of a shop that will do this?

Old March 10th 05, 04:32 PM
Dean

Colin McAlpine CS2001 wrote:
i'm looking at getting the Amp5 FR.

Why that model rather than the Pro 11-FR?

Dean
Old March 10th 05, 04:49 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:15:01 +0000, Colin McAlpine CS2001
wrote:

Hey, I'm looking to get my first real set up and was looking to see if
anyone could shed any light on how good flow bindings are versus strap
bindings. i'm looking at getting the Amp5 FR.

I love mine, though they are a little heavy (older FL11, probably
similar to the Amp5 in weight). I will find a set of Team bindings
between now and next season.

-- Robert
Old March 10th 05, 07:52 PM
Mike Watson

wrote:

Hey, I'm looking to get my first real set up and was looking to see if
anyone could shed any light on how good flow bindings are versus strap
bindings. i'm looking at getting the Amp5 FR.

Cheers,

OLi

I have a 3 season old pair of FL5's and love them to bits (well as
much as you can feel emotionally attached to a set of bindings!)

Never had any of the questions that other posters have mentioned.

(I assume you are over in Glasgow)
Probably best to try to make sure you like them, dont know if a local
dry slope will have them? I did see a rental board at glenshee with
flows although they looked like they came out the ark.

Benefits? Well theres the obvious strapping in off a lift that joe
mentioned.

I also found that they really helped with heel lift.

This season in Scotland I rented boards due to the "variable nature"
of our pistes at times and found that 3 different sets of strap
bindings all concentrated the pressure too much.

Old March 10th 05, 08:01 PM
todd

Colin McAlpine CS2001 wrote:
Hey, I'm looking to get my first real set up and was looking to see

if
anyone could shed any light on how good flow bindings are versus

strap
bindings. i'm looking at getting the Amp5 FR.

Cheers,

OLi

Search this group for discussions on Flow bindings. Lots of info.

As with any system, you'll find people that love it and those that hate
it. Demo it for a day if possible. If you're buying boots as well,
try the flow bindings with your boots and make sure the interface is
good (highback doesn't catch on the heel, no odd pressure points on the
top of your foot or heel).

I am a big fan of ease of exit/entry but personally did not like flow
bindings at all. Reasons in earlier posts.

Straps are easier to tweek throughout the day and to swap out boards
with buddies if you want to try other equipment since others can
instantly tighten the bindings for their feet/boots. My favorite at
the moment are the Burton Toe-cap bindings. Less pressure points, good
support, easy on/off.

-todd

Old March 10th 05, 10:26 PM
lonerider

todd wrote:
[...]

Has anyone gotten a pair of the K2 Cinch bindings? They basically are a
traditional strap bindings which a flippable highback, so you can
enter/exit the binding in either fashion. I checked them out in the
store and they look pretty nice if you want Flow style convenience with
the tweakability of straps. They actually look a bit easier to
enter/exit because the ankle strap tilts up when the higback is flipped
down (I don't recall my friend's Flows doing this). Also I would think
strap users will find the Cinch more natural to adjust compared to the
Flow cuffs (although I'm sure it is just as adjustable once you figure
it out). I ended up getting a pair of Nidecker 800s since I was looking
more for performance than convenience... but I would consider the K2
Cinch as perhaps a 2nd/3rd binding (if I decide I can afford that type
of luxury).

Old March 10th 05, 10:30 PM
lonerider

lonerider wrote:
todd wrote:
[...]

Darn it I forgot to mention that my main concern is whether the metal
cable will be prone to breakage/fatigue/stretching over time (like the
earlier Flow models from what I heard). It's hard to say just looking
at that (it was a twisted steel/metal of some sort) - I guess we'll
find out as people use them more.

Boots for Flow bindings? corbeau Snowboarding 0 February 4th 04 02:41 AM
flow bindings jakob Snowboarding 1 January 15th 04 04:24 AM
Flow Bindings this year? Tavish Muldoon Snowboarding 4 December 2nd 03 03:20 AM
Flow Bindings - Mounting discs mr E Snowboarding 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 AM
Flow Bindings mr E Snowboarding 1 November 15th 03 07:32 AM