Wax for the correct temperature??

Old November 23rd 05, 11:47 PM

Default Wax for the correct temperature??

How do I chose the correct wax for the temperature? Spring conditions
are obvious; warm weather wax. But what about your average winter day?
Is it better to buy a warmer weather wax than a colder weather wax?

For example, Oneballjay sells waxes for 32F - 26F, 28F - 21F, 23F - 12F
and 12F & colder.

Thanks for any advice!

~J.

Old November 26th 05, 10:30 AM

It has been my experience that the only two choices are really
freezing/subfreezing and above freezing wax. Below freezing I don't
see much if any noticeable performance benefits of choosing a colder
cold weather wax vs. a warmer cold weather wax. But you definitaly
don't want to use a warm weather wax in 21deg snow! Why? Just doesn't
work AS WELL...the only issue you will find is your glide in the flats.
I have never used a warm wax in cold weather, but I have used a cold
wax in warm weather (it wears off faster and doesn't glide as well). A
warm wax in cold weather may be too brittle and wear off faster thus
affecting glide.

I ski in the Tahoe area (Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl, Northstar ) and use a
32-26 (or something close) about 80% of the time. When the weather
turns after late March maybe mid Apr, I usually dont go when you get
those 60deg days cause the snow is wet and can get miserable fast.
Once the normal temps hit about 40 and up I use an above freezing wax.

Bottom line get two types (assuming you are not racing in some type
of event). One for above freezing (use it for temps above 35deg) and a
below freezing wax and use it for everything else. Scenario----You
notice weather forcast is 45deg and you don't have any warm weather wax
: don't worry about trying to get the correct stuff last minute, just
use whatever you have...a waxed board (regardless of wax temp
designations) will perform better than a non waxed board. And your
glide benefits in the flats only really add up to maybe and extra100
meteres or so depending on your riding style...Just my observations
after 15years on tha slippery white stuff

Old November 26th 05, 11:04 AM

I have found that I only use a cold temp like the 32-26 or some
variation thereof and a warm weather wax. Unless your racing you won't
tell the diff anyway. I ride in Tahoe (Kirkwood, Sugarbowl, Northstar)
and use an all temp or cold weather wax about 80% of the time...and
only if the forcast is for above 40deg will I use an above freezing
wax. If for some reason you run out of a specific type and need to
improvise, you can mix types or you can use the "wrong " type for
whatever temp ...in the end a waxed and properly prepared board will
still perform better than a non waxed board in the same conditions. I
usually wax mine at the begining of the season and then every three
sesh's or after a sesh where I was in a bunch of crap or ice. And if
there is forcast for fresh Pow...by all means rewax and ENJOY the
fruits of your labor regardless of previous waxing freq.
Just my observations after 15 years of riding the slippy whit stuff...

Old November 26th 05, 11:10 AM

dhdhdfhdfh

Old November 26th 05, 02:30 PM

Jrobb wrote:
It has been my experience that the only two choices are really
freezing/subfreezing and above freezing wax. [snip]

I ski in the Tahoe area (Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl, Northstar ) and use a
32-26 (or something close) about 80% of the time. [snip]

That explains it, I think - you probably just don't see enough
temperature variation to justify it. Ever ski much in sub-0 F
temperatures? It makes a big difference, and not only just racing. If
you ride in an area with lots of flats (Sunshine comes to mind) it's a
real drag. (ba-dum-bump! Thank you, I'm here all week.)

Anyways, I use 3 different waxes for different ranges of sub-freezing
weather, and make do with the warmest on those rare occasions when it's
above freezing. The result is that I cruise by almost everybody
(skiers, riders, whoever) on the flats. Wax makes a big difference.

Neil

Old November 28th 05, 03:30 PM

How do I chose the correct wax for the temperature? Spring conditions
are obvious; warm weather wax. But what about your average winter day?
Is it better to buy a warmer weather wax than a colder weather wax?

For example, Oneballjay sells waxes for 32F - 26F, 28F - 21F, 23F - 12F
and 12F & colder.

If you want to get into it and wax the night before you ride with the
"right" temp wax, then get one bar of each and go crazy. Aside from
racers, this is most important for those who ride where there are lot of
flats and runouts. Otherwise, pick the temp that you will encounter most
often or get an "all-temp" wax.

I do find that using the right wax makes a noticable difference especially
when you have a long flat section. On warm snow, however, having an
aggressive structure on your base (the groove pattern that is cut into your
base when you get a stone grind) is IMHO far more important.

If you go the multi-temp route, you might try using your warmest temp wax
first, scraping it and then applying the proper temp wax over it. The warm
temp wax is softer and will penetrate deeper into your base. A well-waxed
base is more ding-resistant, and having warm-temp wax deep inside your base
works out well when temps ride through the day especially later in the
season. If you get a brand new board, then apply warm-temp several times to
get it to really soak in and then the correct temp last.

Mike T

Old December 19th 05, 01:28 PM

John Davison wrote:
How do I chose the correct wax for the temperature?

Unless you are racing the two most important things to know about wax

1. Clean the base
2. Apply a wax such as a universal fluoro paste

Many people never do either.

If you have never cleaned a base you would be amazed by how dirty it can
get, especially in the spring when melting snow concentrates gunk, like
air pollution, in the remaining snow.

Spring conditions are obvious; warm weather wax.

Have you tried NotWax? http://www.zardoznotwax.com/ I plan to try it
this spring.

Dean
Old December 23rd 05, 04:20 AM

Nobody wrote in :

Spring conditions are obvious; warm weather wax.

Have you tried NotWax? http://www.zardoznotwax.com/

I plan to try it this spring.

NotWax works well in the wet conditions and I've found it to
last at about 10-15 runs depending how much tree gunk is around.

The one problem with NotWax is it sucks if it gets cold again.